Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gear?

• 29-06-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

New to the forum but have been thinking of getting a bike for a while now. I would be looking at the cruiser style bikes and would only be using it for weekend runs (not commuting). Went into the local bike shop and the guy was going through the gear I would need along with the costs. He was reccommending a Helmet, Jacket, Trousers, Boots and gloves all coming in at a cost of approx €650.

My question is, is all this necessary for the type of riding I would be doing? I see guys on cruiser / chopper style bikes with open face helmets wearing Jeans and regular boots?

I appreciate that the gear is for safety purposes and as a beginner I will more than likely need it but what are your thoughts on the jeans and boots brigade?

Also are there any good online retailers where I could get good quality gear at a lower price?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The jeans you see the guys wearing are more then likely "KEVLAR JEANS" they are about €100+ upwards...TBH motorbikes are not a cheap hobby and its part of the exspense, if you are gonna skimp so to speak get a cheap pair if boots and gloves but get the best helmet you can afford.

It does not matter what style of riding you are doing mate, 40 or 50mph on any bike will KILL you.

I would start with Ebay and adverts for 2nd hand stuff, but only jackets and trousers DO NOT GET A 2nd HAND HELMET.

It really comes down to how much you value your own life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

If you are just starting off and not sure if you would stick with it etc, hit Adverts/bikers.ie etc and pick up cheap jackets, boots & gloves. Get a decent helmet - not necessarily top range Arai - but something thats well regarded, and just as importantly fits well and is comfortable (Go north for helmet if that's not far away for you - no VAT there for safety gear)

If you get hooked, you can sell/give away these things and get yourself better quality gear - by then you would know better about what really suits your riding etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The jeans you see the guys wearing are more then likely "KEVLAR JEANS" they are about €100+ upwards...TBH motorbikes are not a cheap hobby and its part of the exspense, if you are gonna skimp so to speak get a cheap pair if boots and gloves but get the best helmet you can afford.

It does not matter what style of riding you are doing mate, 40 or 50mph on any bike will KILL you.

I would start with Ebay and adverts for 2nd hand stuff, but only jackets and trousers DO NOT GET A 2nd HAND HELMET.

It really comes down to how much you value your own life!

+1 more protection is always better. Dont go for cheap stuff and check out reviews on google before purchase. Its easy. Helmet - gloves - boots - jacket - pants its a must then u can go for back protector + chest protector and maybe aditional protectors for ellbows & knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭thomashood10

Buy a decent full face helmet. A leather jacket will stop skin grafts at low speeds if you have one, thick jeans won't provide that much protection.

650 for gear is a lot, you can get some decent stuff for fairly cheap these days on sites like donedeal. I got full leathers (not a great fit tho but better then jeans) for 150 euro there the other day, boots and gloves then are fairly cheap.

For a short commute, or shop runs where you're going about 30-40 mph, I'd say a helmet, boots, gloves, thick jeans and leather jacket are necessary.

For a weekend run though, if you're going through country roads or you're going on the motorway, you want decent gear if you want to avoid bad injuries.

That said, riding a bike is inherently dangerous, if some fool breaks a red light at 200 mph and t bones you going through a junction, you're probably brown bread.

For most accidents a helmet a good gear will massively increase your chances of survival, to each their own though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

I would definitely invest in some good clothing and a pretty decent helmet for your own safety,also you get less hassle from the Gardai from my experience.(Me fully kitted out a check point,quick check of the tax and on my way.My mate wearing jeans and zip up top gets held up for 10 minutes with them giving him a lecture on injuries,also gets asked to produce insurance + licence)Also hurts when a bumble bee hits your legs or hands,it's like a bullet.Buy what you can afford and don't skimp,good luck with the bike and happy driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

A full face helmet is a must. If only just to keep the bugs away but also when stones and random crap gets kicked up by cars.

I got hit in the helmet with a metal bolt one day. It hit me on the visor and landed between my legs. Thank **** I had my visor down

Check out the likes of spada, richa for cheap stuff that gear is every where, most people starting out will get a mix and match of tops and bottoms....what ever suits you and your budget.

I got a good set of RST textiles at least you can sell them on if you think you might not be into bikes..... A set of entry level top and bottoms will cost you about €300 - €350 that and a shark vision r helmet for €200 is €500 - €550 and you sorted. Boots and gloves in lidl/aldi will do you until you get sorted then invest in decent gloves and boots.

I did see a rake of gloves in COTTERS also for silly money too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Try fcmoto.de for good priced gear. Definitely buy the best helmet toy cam afford, it's the most important piece of kit you will buy. Draggin Jeans are also well worth the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

crank_1975 wrote: »
    New to the forum but have been thinking of getting a bike for a while now. I would be looking at the cruiser style bikes and would only be using it for weekend runs (not commuting). Went into the local bike shop and the guy was going through the gear I would need along with the costs. He was reccommending a Helmet, Jacket, Trousers, Boots and gloves all coming in at a cost of approx €650.

A full face helmet, boots, jacket, good trousers, good gloves and a back protector.
    My question is, is all this necessary for the type of riding I would be doing? I see guys on cruiser / chopper style bikes with open face helmets wearing Jeans and regular boots?

You do most of your riding on a bike at 60kph/40mph. All its takes is one diesel spill, one pile of gravel, one asshole on the phone, one drunk through a red light to turn a simple ride into a crippling injury for life. Gear is the factor that decides exactly how much damage is done. That problem doesn't exist in a car at minor speeds.

Honestly, look at this video, look at how quickly that bike goes down. Without gear you would have lost a huge chunk of the skin off your legs, back, ankles and hands as well as breaking your hip and ****ing up your knee for life. And in fairness, that was slow. Skin does not grow back, it doesn't heal like broken bones. When you lose large chunks of it they are gone for life and your looking at years of skin grafts(which still barely work) and treatments. That's really all that proper gear does, protect your skin and stops you breaking your back.

I appreciate that the gear is for safety purposes and as a beginner I will more than likely need it but what are your thoughts on the jeans and boots brigade?

If they are aware of the risk, then I don't really care. Its their life.
    Also are there any good online retailers where I could get good quality gear at a lower price?

Plenty. I'd head up to cotters if I was you. Bike gear sizes can be weird and to be honest I'd only really buy out of a shop. Helps when something goes wrong or snaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well after years of textile pants, I just went back to leathers......and very reasonable €179 in Cotters.

I saw a full set if HG leathers worn once; sold locally for only €200. I have problem spending 650 on good gear. But why bother when you don't have to ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Because (leathers) they do different jobs....I have seen lads in €1000 leathers soaking wet after 1hrs ride in bad rain that why you pay for the RIGHT GEAR.

Thats the thing about motorbike gear, there is a option available for every budget and not every one is into leathers all year round....I know I aint. But I would like a set for the summer months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

650 is a bit rich for start up,
    I got on the road for around 323 fully kitted up, all new gear
    Testile jacket, pants, armoured gloves, full face helemet (5 star), boots & (slip into Jacket) back protector.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Aldi and Lidl regulary sell good quality motorbike boots (full length and also ankle length),armoured waterproof bike jackets and protective waterproof bottoms for not alot of euros.

Notch000 wrote: »
    650 is a bit rich for start up,
    I got on the road for around 323 fully kitted up, all new gear
    Testile jacket, pants, armoured gloves, full face helemet (5 star), boots & (slip into Jacket) back protector.

Funny because I dont think it is....again its whatever way you look at it. So many people buy the best (fastest) bike they can and leave little for the gear which in my mind is counter productive. This is NO WAY ON EARTH I WOULD WEAR THE €80 lidl HELMET!!!!!

I saved up for my gear 1st bought that and then got my bike. I would not skimp on the gear simples....but as I said all you REALLY need is a good helmet and jacket and trousers.

It can be done if you give it enought time and shop around.

Funny because I dont think it is....again its whatever way you look at it. So many people buy the best (fastest) bike they can and leave little for the gear which in my mind is counter productive. This is NO WAY ON EARTH I WOULD WEAR THE €80 lidl HELMET!!!!!

I saved up for my gear 1st bought that and then got my bike. I would not skimp on the gear simples....but as I said all you REALLY need is a good helmet and jacket and trousers.

I wouldnt buy a helmet from Lidl,but the motorbike boots,textile padded trousers and jacket from Lidl is actually good quality and a very good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

It's a simple questions of how you value your life. I have personally experienced coming off a push bike in shorts at speed and the skin on my thigh was gone (down to the flesh). I was only 16 at the time and I remember in A&E in the old Meath Hospital with the nurse picking the gravel out of the flesh.

Value your safety and body, you only live ONCE

Go to Cotters and look at the prices and buy the good stuff........I would recommend Richa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Honestly, look at this video, look at how quickly that bike goes down. Without gear you would have lost a huge chunk of the skin off your legs, back, ankles and hands as well as breaking your hip and ****ing up your knee for life. And in fairness, that was slow. Skin does not grow back, it doesn't heal like broken bones. When you lose large chunks of it they are gone for life and your looking at years of skin grafts(which still barely work) and treatments. That's really all that proper gear does, protect your skin and stops you breaking your back.

This is scary...kinda thought they'd have more time...
    buzzard wrote: »
    It's a simple questions of how you value your life. I have personally experienced coming off a push bike in shorts at speed and the skin on my thigh was gone (down to the flesh). I was only 16 at the time and I remember in A&E in the old Meath Hospital with the nurse picking the gravel out of the flesh.

Value your safety and body, you only live ONCE

Go to Cotters and look at the prices and buy the good stuff........I would recommend Richa

Yep. Me too, came off my bicycle in February, a slow crash at a roundabout (thought I was on motorbike and leaned over too much). I was wearing full length cyling lycras, which were unharmed for some odd reason, but my leg was totally scraped. I've had lots of mountain bike crashes, which were grand, but sliding along tarmac for even a second is gonna destroy your skin. Even a slow crash on the motorbike is going to ruin you if you wear normal jeans! Don't do it...

So my advice: same as everyone else...don't skimp on helmet, jacket, gloves, or trousers. I'd say your boots could be fairly budget...as long as they won't come off in a fall. Also, you'll find it hard to stay warm and avoid the wind, without proper gear.

Hein Gericke up north is good, so is Cotters in Dublin.

Some sites you may be interested in:
    http://www.motorcycleshop.ie (only used once, good)
    http://www.motoin.de
    http://www.fc-moto.de
    http://www.louis.de (my favourite)
    http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk (maybe visit shop instead tho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

The only thing on my list from lidl or aldi was a pair of boots for E40, I am very happy with them so far.
    My lid cost 130E and has a maximun 5* SHARP saftey rating, you can pay several hundred more for a more fancy item with the same essential functionality (protecting you head)

Lookwell make good gear too,that doesnt cost an arm and a leg to buy.

Notch000 wrote: »
    The only thing on my list from lidl or aldi was a pair of boots for E40, I am very happy with them so far.
    My lid cost 130E and has a maximun 5* SHARP saftey rating, you can pay several hundred more for a more fancy item with the same essential functionality (protecting you head)

Well TBH mate not all helmets are the same even one with a 5 star safety rating can be far far INFERIOR. I was up in crossans (NEWRY) and he showed me a flip up front face helmet that got 5 stars in the safety test and he could squash the helmet from the sides with his own arms!

A good manufacturer (arai/shoei ete) use much better material and the helmets fit better then the same lower end helmets with a 5 star rating.

I have seen the leathers in lidl/aldi and sure for an extra €50 or so on top of them you would get a recognised brand in leathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

All Lidl/Aldi stuff is TúV tested. It's a way higher standard then ISO or CE.

You can't go wrong with their clothing, a mate used to be a courier and he found that their gear stayed waterproof for ages.

Del2005 wrote: »
    All Lidl/Aldi stuff is TúV tested. It's a way higher standard then ISO or CE.

You can't go wrong with their clothing, a mate used to be a courier and he found that their gear stayed waterproof for ages.

Thats exactly why I mentioned Lidl and Aldi for the jackets and leggings and boots.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the textile bike jackets and leggings and the bike boots from Aldi and Lidl.TUV tested,which is a very high standard.

They are indeed very good quality and an ideal bit of kit for anyone on a budget,but who still requires good and safe bike clothing.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

Howya OP
    Welcome to the 2 wheel world
    It is expensive starting out but its worth spending what you can.
    Its not just the safety aspect, theres comfort too.
    I started out on donated/second hand stuff and every week bought a 20/30/50 quid voucher in my local bike shop. Eventually had enough to get some really good gear.
    Happy out now in some really good quality gear. I personally recommend the higher end SPADA stuff, waterproof, vented, comfortable................
    Anyways good luck with the new adventure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

paddy147 wrote: »
    Thats exactly why I mentioned Lidl and Aldi for the jackets and leggings and boots.

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the textile bike jackets and leggings and the bike boots from Aldi and Lidl.TUV tested,which is a very high standard.

They are indeed very good quality and an ideal bit of kit for anyone on a budget,but who still requires good and safe bike clothing.:)

Aye, their jackets/boots/waterproofs are good. I wouldn't touch their lids either!

Aye, their jackets/boots/waterproofs are good. I wouldn't touch their lids either!

I bought in my Suomi Lagina Seca helmet (see pic posted above) from the USA.

I bought the Oxstar boots off a chap in Dundrum who bought them new from Bikeworld,and then a month later gave up biking all together.

Boots still had the shrink wrap film pieces on them and in the box,never even used.

Cost me all of 70 euro.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

paddy147 wrote: »
    I bought in my Suomi Lagina Seca helmet (see pic posted above) from the USA.

Ah yeah, but Suomy are a decent lid though. I use Shark, HJC and KBC myself.

Ah yeah, but Suomy are a decent lid though. I use Shark, HJC and KBC myself.

All good lids too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I recently came off my bike at 60kmph after being hit by a van (jackass pulled out of a side road without looking) and sent about 20m up the wrong side of the road. I was wearing all my gear and my most serious injury was a fractured left ankle. My left leg was hit directly by the van so I would've been extremely lucky to escape with no injury to that leg. I was wearing textile trousers at the time of the accident which were ripped open and I ended up with a deep gash on my left knee and nerve damage to both my knees - imagine how much worse that would've been in a pair of jeans?

Buy online if you want a better price than the shops here but if it's your first time buying gear you should probably try on gear first, head to one of your local bike shops just to get an idea of your size (which may differ from your normal size or may not).

Altogether my gear is worth approximately €1,200 (€650 for my helmet) and I would pay more if necessary. Your gear is the only thing between you and the road, it's that simple. There is no item of my gear that I would consider less important than the rest but obviously your helmet is the thing that prevents you from the most serious of injuries, a brain injury.

I'm not one of these ATGATT people, it's your own choice but that is my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭crank_1975

Thanks for the suggestions all,I think I've been watching too much biker related TV where everyone is in jeans and t-shirts.

Will keep an eye out the next time the gear is in Aldi. Now to book the theory test and begin the process of getting a licence.

• Advertisement

I recently came off my bike at 60kmph after being hit by a van (jackass pulled out of a side road without looking) and sent about 20m up the wrong side of the road. I was wearing all my gear and my most serious injury was a fractured left ankle. My left leg was hit directly by the van so I would've been extremely lucky to escape with no injury to that leg. I was wearing textile trousers at the time of the accident which were ripped open and I ended up with a deep gash on my left knee and nerve damage to both my knees - imagine how much worse that would've been in a pair of jeans?

Buy online if you want a better price than the shops here but if it's your first time buying gear you should probably try on gear first, head to one of your local bike shops just to get an idea of your size (which may differ from your normal size or may not).

Altogether my gear is worth approximately €1,200 (€650 for my helmet) and I would pay more if necessary. Your gear is the only thing between you and the road, it's that simple. There is no item of my gear that I would consider less important than the rest but obviously your helmet is the thing that prevents you from the most serious of injuries, a brain injury.

I'm not one of these ATGATT people, it's your own choice but that is my experience.

Try smashing your left hip,pelvis and arm to pieces when you have just done a 15 meter "superman" over ther bonnet of an english reg car turning right at a "no right hand turn junction" and your GSXR 600 SRAD then follows you through the air and lands right on top of you.:(

Advertisement