Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What gear?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I was holding onto the bike for as long as possible (had a bit of bruising to my hand from doing so) but I think in the end I pushed it away from me to avoid it landing on me, it ended up only a few feet away from me but I did roll a good bit so it skidded after me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

paddy147 wrote: »
    Try smashing your left hip,pelvis and arm to pieces when you have just done a 15 meter "superman" over ther bonnet of an english reg car turning right at a "no right hand turn junction" and your GSXR 600 SRAD then follows you through the air and lands right on top of you.:(

Sorry to hear that. What happened to the other driver? I'm always curious about the driver's who cause accidents...any guilt? Apologies? Do you get xmas cards from them every year for the rest of your life?

Or just fill out the forms with the police and go on their way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

rat_race wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. What happened to the other driver? I'm always curious about the driver's who cause accidents...any guilt? Apologies? Do you get xmas cards from them every year for the rest of your life?

Or just fill out the forms with the police and go on their way?

"She" was more interested in being late for the ferry back over to Holyhead.:mad:

She ran the junction to try and make up time and catch the ferry,smashed into me and didnt give a flying fcuk about me lying in a heap on the ground with a large motorbike on top of me.

An off duty fire brigade man who was out walking his dog,saw the crash happen,ran over to me and got the bike off of me,before any fuel or oil spilled out onto me and possibly ignited.

The woman kept on saying to the gardai that she was late for her ferry.Never once showed any real concern at smashing into me,according to the gardai.

Worst pain I have ever suffered,I really thought I was a gonner at one point,the rest is a blur,as I woke up later in A&E in the
    Matter Hospital,still in alot of pain.

9 months later I was back to decent health and work.

Basicly I owe my life to that off duty fireman.

Anyway...lets move on.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was holding onto the bike for as long as possible (had a bit of bruising to my hand from doing so) but I think in the end I pushed it away from me to avoid it landing on me, it ended up only a few feet away from me but I did roll a good bit so it skidded after me.

1st thing I was told when getting on a bike was whenever your crashing, I learnt off road but holds true for any crash, to get the F off the bike and let it go where ever it wants.

Bikes can be replaced/repaired easily, we can't

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Del2005 wrote: »
    1st thing I was told when getting on a bike was whenever your crashing, I learnt off road but holds true for any crash, to get the F off the bike and let it go where ever it wants.

Ah sure I know, everybody has always told me the same thing as well. In the moment, however, it's a completely different story and it's hard to remember everything you've been told when you're flipping over in the air and flying up the road. I don't actually remember much of the crash itself, I remember being hit, I remember flipping over and I remember landing but it was my witness that told me I looked like I was trying to hold on until the last moment possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Del2005 wrote: »

Unfortunately the natural reaction of the body is to tense up though, I reckon a bit of letting go practice would be required, and I hope I don't get any of that any time soon...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ratracer wrote: »
    Unfortunately the natural reaction of the body is to tense up though, I reckon a bit of letting go practice would be required, and I hope I don't get any of that any time soon...

Everything is about practise. I think you get a lot more practise falling off-road then on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've had plenty of practice, as I said I learnt to ride off road:D

Still haven't had my road crash.

Like a tank slapper,if you tense up and try to fight it it will get the better of you.

Best thing to do is let it happen and go with it,until the tank slapper rides itself out.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Would love to have learnt to ride off road or had some practise when I was young. 1st few quid I get I am gonna get me a trials bike for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Buy a decent full face helmet. A leather jacket will stop skin grafts at low speeds if you have one, thick jeans won't provide that much protection.

650 for gear is a lot, you can get some decent stuff for fairly cheap these days on sites like donedeal. I got full leathers (not a great fit tho but better then jeans) for 150 euro there the other day, boots and gloves then are fairly cheap.

For a short commute, or shop runs where you're going about 30-40 mph, I'd say a helmet, boots, gloves, thick jeans and leather jacket are necessary.

For a weekend run though, if you're going through country roads or you're going on the motorway, you want decent gear if you want to avoid bad injuries.

That said, riding a bike is inherently dangerous, if some fool breaks a red light at 200 mph and t bones you going through a junction, you're probably brown bread.

For most accidents a helmet a good gear will massively increase your chances of survival, to each their own though.

The way I've considered it is, surely my aldi/lidl gear is better than jeans/runners/tracksuit top/normal coat? I'm happiest with the jacket, trousers are ok, the gloves i got from them weren't the latest ones but from a previous year and they are way better than any I have seen this year.
    I didnt buy the boots, I use a steel toed leather boot (never liked the look of any footwear in Aldi/lidl and the boots didnt suit me) I'm on the look out for boots all thew same, some that looks normal/is enough but is a bike boot, black only, :) no fancy multicoloured yokes for me!)

My fingers are crossed on the value of tuv standards for helmets which Im hoping is as good as ive heard.
    At the least OP, id say buy secondhand (except in helmet), I do in as much as I can in anything, as a newer biker myself i consider my self still learning, I take it handy enough where I know my experience is limited, I dont feel I need the best of gear, was on the bike only once without the textile trousers and felt a bit exposed in the jeans, apart from the breeze.
    I think I am of the mindset ATGATT, I'll upgrade stuff as i go along, the thing is from other things I do/have done, sometimes the difference between less pricey gear/to more pricey isn't a lot (I'll leave motorbiking aside from that due to my lesser experience) , but for other activities, I've found that midrange gear can be just as good as top range/that top of the range stuff may exceed peoples requirements and they may never get the benefit of it, but still pay.

Advertisement