Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it legal?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,this may be a stupid question,but I'm just wondering if this is legal.I got my firearms licence for my .22 rifle about 3 weeks ago and have been invited by friends to go bunny shooting on someone else's land which they have written permission to shoot on,can they give me verbal permission to shoot on a third parties land?By the way,on my app I just ticked target shooting at my club,does this mean I can never go hunting with this gun unless I get written permission and change the licence?Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

If you go with them it shouldn't be a problem.. Myself and one of the lads shoot together all the time on different permissions we both have and no problems.

I wouldn't go on my own on his permissions though..he can't give you permission to go on your own without the farmers consent.

And you don't need any changes on the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Yzf R6

Good stuff,thanks.I would only be going with them the odd weekend,permission holder would be present.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Unless your Super has imposed conditions on your license that your rifle can ONLY be used for target shooting, then the reason you used when applying to get the rifle is the primary reason, but not the sole reason for having it.

I have most of my firearms for target shooting. I also use them for hunting when the chance come up.

As for the land, well garv123 covered it nicely. As a guest you can shoot once in the presence of a person with permission, however not o your own. To shoot on your own you would need permission directly from the land owner or whomever has the sporting rights to the land.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks for that,on the cert it had additional conditions box and it was blank,also no conditions on licence either so I guess I'm ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Ghost.

Normally in practice it isnt a problem if you are with someone who has permission to shoot the land, but they cant give you permission to shoot on a third parties land.

Its highly unlikely that someone would be that awkward about it, but IF there was a problem and the land owner had a problem with you shooting on his land and wanted to be awkward about it you would be essentially tresspassing with a firearm on private property and shooting on land without permission so as to your original question no I dont think its legal. Im not sure but I dont think you would be covered by law if you were a guest of someone with permission even if they were with you.

If you arent familiar with the landowner,or if you are a bit worried about it just to be on the safe side and cover yourself you might be best to get your friend who has the permission to give the land owner a quick call before ye head out to tell him he has a friend with him shooting and ask if its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Having an insurance card from the likes of the countryside alliance or the nargc compensation scheme to show the landowner is worth having to put their minds at ease. They won't be out of pocket in case of an accident.

Have the insurance card with Coutryside Alliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭EP90

garv123 wrote: »
    If you go with them it shouldn't be a problem.. Myself and one of the lads shoot together all the time on different permissions we both have and no problems.

I wouldn't go on my own on his permissions though..he can't give you permission to go on your own without the farmers consent.

And you don't need any changes on the licence.

Your answer nearly covers my query but need a bit more clarification.

I recently received my licence for .22 LR. and have local shooting permissions. Now a different neighbour has given me permission and wants me to control his ‘vermin’. The ‘new’ land has no others shooters on it nor any previous permissions. Do new permissions have to be vetted by Garda before I shoot there? If so what do I need to do please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

No vetting needed so shoot away lad

No vetting needed so shoot away lad

Thanks for the fast reply. That’s grand and no hassle, the new land is 100 acres so no problem.
    While I’m here can I just ask a ridiculous question, if no vetting is required what would be the outcome of shooting in an unsuitably small area, even with permission? Is the onus on the shooter to decide what is suitable and any guidelines? I have refused to shoot rabbits in a largish garden bordering a wood, I wasn’t comfortable with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

EP90 wrote: »
    Thanks for the fast reply. That’s grand and no hassle, the new land is 100 acres so no problem.
    While I’m here can I just ask a ridiculous question, if no vetting is required what would be the outcome of shooting in an unsuitably small area, even with permission? Is the onus on the shooter to decide what is suitable and any guidelines? I have refused to shoot rabbits in a largish garden bordering a wood, I wasn’t comfortable with it.

Cleared a garden with an old side by side near a woods a few years back..

Good luck controlling 100 acres with a .22 lol..

As long as your 60yards from the road and civilisation (iirc) and shooting away from it tear on.

IIRC when you get permissions for applications they have to be over ten acres?

'hdz

Its up to you to decide to shoot what you want..or if the person who gave you the permission asked you to reduce the rabbit numbers as much as possible then so be it..

what were your reasons for refusing to shoot rabbits in a garden?
    hedzball wrote: »
    Cleared a garden with an old side by side near a woods a few years back..

Good luck controlling 100 acres with a .22 lol..

As long as your 60yards from the road and civilisation (iirc) and shooting away from it tear on.

IIRC when you get permissions for applications they have to be over ten acres?

'hdz

60 yards is the english law and irish people just use that.. Its come up here a lot and no one can find it written in the irish law.

Noise wasn’t a problem as it’s a silenced .22 more to do with the uncertainty of people being in the woods. The rabbits are normally grazing at the end of the garden and into the woods, range would be around 50/60 yds and I was concerned about ricochets. They would have liked the quietness of .22 and discreetly not upsetting neighbours but have decided on a friend with a 12 bore.

I guess I was trying to get my head around ‘a need for a gun and a minimum size of land permission (10acres ?)’ to satisfy the Garda to get a licence then being aloud to shoot on say half an acre once you have it. As I say it’s not a problem just a daft query.
    Thanks guys.

Noise wasn’t a problem as it’s a silenced .22 more to do with the uncertainty of people being in the woods. The rabbits are normally grazing at the end of the garden and into the woods, range would be around 50/60 yds and I was concerned about ricochets. They would have liked the quietness of .22 and discreetly not upsetting neighbours but have decided on a friend with a 12 bore.

I guess I was trying to get my head around ‘a need for a gun and a minimum size of land permission (10acres ?)’ to satisfy the Garda to get a licence then being aloud to shoot on say half an acre once you have it. As I say it’s not a problem just a daft query.
    Thanks guys.

It wouldn't ricochets of a tree or the ground as they are soft compared to the likes of stones on ditches. A .22 will be better suited as the noise off a shotgun could case the neighbors to complain and you'll only get a shot or 2 off each time you try it.

The best way to do it with the .22 is get up higher a few feet even(off a table/bench so you are shooting down and the bullet will hit the ground a few feet behind the rabbit.

Ok thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. Wasn’t much of a loss as I have plenty of other land to walk.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

hedzball wrote: »
    As long as your 60yards from the road ............
    garv123 wrote: »
    60 yards is the english law and irish people just use that.. Its come up here a lot and no one can find it written in the irish law.
    It's apparently the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act 1851 and it says within 60 feet of a public road. So that's 18 metres, 20 yards, or 60 feet. (Whichever comes first :D).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's apparently the Summary Jurisdiction (Ireland) Act 1851 and it says within 60 feet of a public road. So that's 18 metres, 20 yards, or 60 feet. (Whichever comes first :D).

jasus 20 yards..

thats 5 big steps for me!!

Deadly :cool:

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Mech1

Thanks guys.

Well done for taking the decision not to shoot. If ever you have any doubt dont even aim a gun in that direction.

Advertisement