Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swapping Subjects.

• 29-06-2012 12:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK So I wanna swap from Chemistry to Another Subject. I can either pick Accounting,Biology or History. I have already picked biology in a different pool can I pick it again in another pool instead of chemistry?

OPTION POOL 1
    French
    Spanish
    Biology
    Design Comm. Graph.
    Construction Studies

OPTION POOL 2
    Biology
    Home Economics (S&S)
    Engineering
    Music
    Economics
    Agricultural Science

OPTION POOL 3
    Chemistry
    Biology
    History
    Geography
    Construction Studies
    Accounting

OPTION POOL 4
    Physics
    Art
    Business Organisation
    Geography
    Design Comm. Graph.
    Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

no you won't get put into two biology classes
    but if your school operates on a lottery basis, no harm in putting it down twice but be aware in one pool you'd be put into another subject - are you allowed to nominate them on a preference basis eg 1st preference, 2nd choice etc ?
    are you just going into 5th year?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

but if your school operates on a lottery basis, no harm in putting it down twice but be aware in one pool you'd be put into another subject - are you allowed to nominate them on a preference basis eg 1st preference, 2nd choice etc ?

No I am going into 6th year

Which one of the subjetcs would you recommend me to switch to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

fontdor wrote: »
    OK So I wanna swap from Chemistry to Another Subject. I can either pick Accounting,Biology or History. I have already picked biology in a different pool can I pick it again in another pool instead of chemistry?

You mean move into biology instead of chemistry in pool 3 in that group of subjects and move out of biology in pool 1 or 2 into one of the subjects in those groups. Theoretically there's no problem with that, it's more a case of whether or not your school will let you do this moving into 6th year. You would have a lot of material to pick up on in some subjects, and some classes may be full and have no room for you.

It also depends what you like and what you did for your junior cert as well. No point anyone here saying move into biology in group 3 and move out of biology and into construction studies in group 2 if you already do construction studies/ never did woodwork for junior cert.

What are your other subjects? What do you like? What subjects are definitely a non runner out of group 1 and 2 which is where the other biology classes currently are? Which subjects are you currently in, in those pools? Going to assume you are doing French/Spanish for language requirement for college for the moment, so that would mean moving out of biology in group 2 rather than group 1.

If it's what the other posts said about being in 2 biology classes, can't see that happening, that gives you one subject less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

This is a school decision, you'll have to ask them.

• Advertisement

are you currently in chemisty in pool 3 and want to opt out of it? so then in pool 3 you're left with biology, history, geography, constuction or accounting.
    you are already doing biology. you said your other options are accounting and history -- what is wrong with construcion and geography? are you already doing these/didn't do for JC etc?
    keeping it simple and not swapping biology class from pool 3 to 1 etc ...
    if in pool 3 you are left with a choice of history or accounting (i'll probably get killed by the history teachers for saying/thinking this) but i think the paper is divided down into set topics -- could you possibly then cover it in one year? i don't know the answer to that but i do know if you are considering picking up any subject new in 6th year, you had better be prepared for a hard slog -- it would have been better if you had sorted this out before the summer hols as you could have maybe made a start on some work over the summer -- if you think that is a mad idea than you don't have much business changing subjectin sept imo as that is the level of effort that is required when picking up a new subject in 6th year.
    you haven't said why you want to drop chemistry after studying it for a year. ...
    and all of this could be a completly wasted thread anyway because school policy may not faciltate your changing subjects in 6th year .... as spurious said it is a school matter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

Accounting, Biology or History?
    I would definitely avoid History. If you are going into 6th year...it would be almost impossible to do in one year.
    Biology is a good choice, and I didn't do Accounting so I couldn't tell you about that, although many like that subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

History in one year? No. Seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would be quite surprised at any teacher taking someone into a two year course for just one year, especially since the rest of the class have a year done.

If you're talking about a grinds business, I don't think they are that bothered. They seem to have a number of people 'covering' the two year courses in one year. You pay your money, you go wherever you like.

OK So a lot of people say I should avoid history. I am already doing Biology so How about Accounting? How hard is that? Is it just adding and subtracting etc....?

• Advertisement

OK So a lot of people say I should avoid history. I am already doing Biology so How about Accounting? How hard is that? Is it just adding and subtracting etc....?

eh ... no ! :D

think you just managed to insult every accounting teacher with that comment :pac:

seriously though, you need to speak to the school ... are they even open to this? do you just want to slot into the class in school ? how willing are you to catch up on a year's work done last year? do you propose to get extra tutition outside of school hours? why are you opting out of chemisty btw? is it too difficult? would you consider switching to ord level and putting your energies into passing that?

think you just managed to insult every accounting teacher with that comment :pac:

seriously though, you need to speak to the school ... are they even open to this? do you just want to slot into the class in school ? how willing are you to catch up on a year's work done last year? do you propose to get extra tutition outside of school hours? why are you opting out of chemisty btw? is it too difficult? would you consider switching to ord level and putting your energies into passing that?

Well you see Chemistry is way too difficult for me. So I would swap chemistry. And yeah a lot of people swapped subjects last year even atthe end of the eyar in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Well you see Chemistry is way too difficult for me. So I would swap chemistry. And yeah a lot of people swapped subjects last year even atthe end of the eyar in April.

Chemistry gets easier. Trust me. By December everything will just slot into place.

Anyway. If it is too hard you could always drop to pass chemistry.

ChemHickey wrote: »
    Chemistry gets easier. Trust me. By December everything will just slot into place.

Anyway. If it is too hard you could always drop to pass chemistry.

Are you sure? I mean I failed my Summer Exam for Chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Well, my teacher (probably the best in the country knowledge-wise, no exaggeration, seriously) told us that until December of our LC year eg, this december for you, we wouldn't be able to answer more than 1, 2 questions on the paper. Then, everything would just slot together and we'd be able to answer the majority of the course.

If you work a bit over the summer, learning the basics again as they really are what defines the course, you'll see a vast improvement. There's no point wasting a whole year doing chemistry for nothing!

If you need any help at all, PM me. It was my favourite subject. I'm almost certain I got the A1 in the exam, and I got 98% in my mock in it.

But seriously, don't waste the year. If you work an hour/ two hours a week on the most difficult sections, you'll be fine.

Advertisement