Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGN for ROK

Options
  • 29-06-2012 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Any idea what Rockmount exchange is running? and if it will be upgraded to NGN?
    The eircom website suggests that i can only get standard eircom broadband @ 24Mb, whats the difference between std BB @ 24Mb and NGN broadband at 24Mb, is it ADSL vs ADSL2+.....?
    thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Any idea what Rockmount exchange is running? and if it will be upgraded to NGN?
    The eircom website suggests that i can only get standard eircom broadband @ 24Mb, whats the difference between std BB @ 24Mb and NGN broadband at 24Mb, is it ADSL vs ADSL2+.....?
    thanks,
    Eoin

Eoin, I've replied to your PM.

Let me know if I can help further.

Have a good weekend :)

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dgom

Eoin, I've replied to your PM.

Let me know if I can help further.

Have a good weekend :)

Ant

Ant,

Does this refer to Rockmount, just southwest of Ennis?

Is it possible to know where is the exchange (at least apoproximately) and whether it is enabled for NGB?

I am looking at moving into a house in the area (no phone there yet so can't test the line) and want to assess the broadband possibilities.

How good a download speed would I have 1 / 2 / 3 km from the exchange?

DGOM

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Yes, rockmount exchange is at thre corner of the kilrush road and ballybeg road.........I'd also like to know if it has been upgraded to NGB?

Darren, can you confirm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Guys.

I checked with the NGB roll-out team and they confirmed there is no indication as to when the Rockmount (ROKA) exchange will be enabled for NGB I'm afraid.

dgom

As broadband speed is subject to individual telephone capability, with a more definitive address I would not be able to give an accurate idea of speeds available in the area.

Sorry, Mark

hi Mark,

what kind of performance can you expect to get from an NGB based exchange vs a non NGB exchange? IM 700m away from the exchange and i have only 9dB of attenuation and 26dB noise margin.......

also i assume that ROKA will be upgraded at some point? any idea when?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It may go straight to VDSL along with the rest of Ennis. eircom are due to announce indicative timetables for doing perhaps 100 exchanges in September. The NGB rollout is over in Urban areas and even if they do enable a few rural exchanges for NGB they will only get an upgrade from 7.6 to 8mbit speed at most along with lower contention in the evenings.

At 700m distance you really would need a 'launch' closer to you to see a a really big improvement so the important factor for you is not the distance from ROK but the distance from the nearest green street cabinet where eircom co locate VDSL units. An upgrade to Rockmount is the removal and replacement of one or both of the left hand cabinets ....certainly the middle one which would most likely be done were Ennis done..but you must make sure they don't leave it as is.

If there is no green cabinet between you and ROK then it doesnt matter what eircom upgrades, it will mean very little. Perhaps a jump from 6mbits to 14mbits ...more if they use two pairs assuming you have tow pairs into your house.

Were the existing exchange to be upgraded to VDSL it will most likely 'fall back' to ADSL2 at 700m anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dgom

Hi Guys.

I checked with the NGB roll-out team and they confirmed there is no indication as to when the Rockmount (ROKA) exchange will be enabled for NGB I'm afraid.

dgom

As broadband speed is subject to individual telephone capability, with a more definitive address I would not be able to give an accurate idea of speeds available in the area.

Sorry, Mark

Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me. For what it's worth I'm now in the new house, c3km west of ROKA, and getting 3Mbit broadband via Eircom.

Apparently I could get up to 10Mbit if I paid a bit more for it.

Don't know what fibre roll-out will mean for me, when it might happen, or how close the fibre connection would come to my house.

DGOM

dgom wrote: »
    Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me. For what it's worth I'm now in the new house, c3km west of ROKA, and getting 3Mbit broadband via Eircom.

Apparently I could get up to 10Mbit if I paid a bit more for it.

Don't know what fibre roll-out will mean for me, when it might happen, or how close the fibre connection would come to my house.

DGOM

Hi dgom,

I can only give basic guidelines in relation broadband / speed availability without an exact address. So I don't want to give any indications as they may not be accurate without testing active neighbouring lines.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
    the guy that tested my line told me it prequalified to 17Mb on the Rockmount exchange (outside Ennis), but can the exchange deliver that? im currently on a 8Mb package and getting about 6.5Mb when the line is uncongested, drops to about 2.5Mb when congested which suggests thats its not upgraded to NGB yet.......i think you said earlier its not scheduled, but after the gov announcement, i would expect that to be accelerated........can you advise? also should i be able to upgrade to get the 17Mb as indicated by the engineer?

thanks
    Eoin

Hi Mark,
    the guy that tested my line told me it prequalified to 17Mb on the Rockmount exchange (outside Ennis), but can the exchange deliver that? im currently on a 8Mb package and getting about 6.5Mb when the line is uncongested, drops to about 2.5Mb when congested which suggests thats its not upgraded to NGB yet.......i think you said earlier its not scheduled, but after the gov announcement, i would expect that to be accelerated........can you advise? also should i be able to upgrade to get the 17Mb as indicated by the engineer?

thanks
    Eoin

Hi ctlsleh,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have the details from your previous case with Ant.

I will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

thanks
    Eoin

Hi Eoin,

Can I confirm that your broadband service was with another provider and you recently requested to transfer it to eircom?

Thanks, Mark

Hi ctlsleh,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I have the details from your previous case with Ant.

I will check it out and get back to you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Eoin,

The Rckmount exchange is ADSL2 enabled so customers on that exchange can avail of the "up to 24MB" Home Turbo package.

In relationm to the speeds available, I can not give any guarantees but the best indication we can give is 12-15MB.

However there is still no indication as to when the Rockmount exchange may be NGB enabled I'm afraid.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark

Thanks Mark

No problem,

If and when we get any information about that exchange we will let you know.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
    Any news on when this exchange will be upgraded?
    Thanks.

Hi Eircom guys. 
    I notice that the ROK exchange is targeted for NGA upgade in Dec14 according to your website
    http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Im assuming that the exchange will be NGB enabled in the meantime? What will the impact of the NGA upgrade be? will you be deploying fibre to the cabinetsd hanging off that exchange and installing VDSL there?

im interested to understand how and what will happen with this exchange in general

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi ctlsleh

I have looked into this and I can confirm that NGA is the same service as NGB (next generation access/next generation broadband) 
    [font=Arial","sans-serif] Wholesale just have a different terminology toeircom.[/font]

As the link quoted in your postwas from "eircom wholesale"  Which is separate to theeircom group. As such we can only advise on the NGB roll-out information from our broadband networks team & as yet we have no information regarding NGB enablement for the Rockmount exchange I'm afraid.

Also, In the below link you will find helpfull information for plans for fibre broadbad :

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/eircom-Fibre-Broadband/td-p/19450

Regards

Al

Hi Alan/Mark,
    I saw some eircom vans at the cabinet in early february, they were there for a few days and I asked them when the ROK exchange would be fibre enabled and they said it would be 2-3 weeks, there are 2 green cabinets in-situ for some time already......their indication timewise has well passed now, can you let me know the status as we are getting very bad congestion on the line despite the fact that its capable ofm15-17Mb according to the eircom engineer.
    Cheers
    Eoin

Do any of the new cabinets beside the old Rockmount cabinet look like this on on the right( see the prominent outside lock feature ) ??

eircom wholesale has not given the 6 month regulatory notice of VDSL service launch in Rockmount or Clarecastle to the south (that I am aware of) .......unless they give 6 months notice I do not believe they can launch Rockmount. However the good news is that you will skip NGB (a mid life upgrade from 'up to 8 mbits to up to 24 mbits) and go to NGA this year some time ( up to 70mbits) :)

Hi ctlsleh,

At the moment, I can confirm that the ROCKMOUNT CABINET in Clare that your address falls under is part of the fibre roll out plan.
    http://pressroom.eircom.net/press_releases/article/eircom_Announces_Locations_for_Phase_III_Fibre_Rollout/
    However it will be May before we have more definitive news.

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement

Rockmount is Phase V I think and scheduled to launch by December 2014.

However Clarecastle and Rockmount already appear to have their cabinets installed and could be brought forward to some time in 2013 once the correct regulatory notice is given.

These are the initial published launch dates for Clare exchanges.

BALLYALLA CROSS DEC 2014
    BALLYMACAHILL CROSS DEC 2014
    CLARECASTLE DEC 2014

ENNIS DEC 2012
    ROCKMOUNT DEC 2014
    SHANNON TOWN DEC 2013
    SHANNON AIRPORT DEC 2014

WHITEPARK DEC 2014

Hi sponge bob,
    Yes the rock mount cabinet is new and has that type of lock, I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. I'm about 700M away..... I know that I'm a bit too far away for NGA to deliver a significant impact on my speed, but at least should remove congestion and ill have a reasonable speed.
    Eoin

By the way, I think we already have NGB, at least we have ADSL2+ according to my modem........(I'm getting about 9mb max on a 12 Mb line, eircom say its capable of 15-17mb) however we still have significant congestion at certain times of the day and that really impacts the speed.
    With NGA, I assume we will have better (dwdm) backhaul  from ROK to the main exchange/trunk in ennis or directly onto the DWDM network......?
    Eoin

By the way, I think we already have NGB, at least we have ADSL2+ according to my modem........(I'm getting about 9mb max on a 12 Mb line, eircom say its capable of 15-17mb) however we still have significant congestion at certain times of the day and that really impacts the speed.
    With NGA, I assume we will have better (dwdm) backhaul from ROK to the main exchange/trunk in ennis or directly onto the DWDM network......?
    Eoin
    You'll have CWDM off the cabinet, 2.5gbits. DWDM out of Ennis to Limerick. Are you sure that there is no nearer cabinet to you than the one at 700m....once you spot one you tend to spot them everywhere somewhere like Ennis.

Hi 
    Here's our location, eircom guys, is RoK the nearest cabinet?

Eoin

I doubt the eircom lads know where the cabinets are because I doubt they were told.

Take a wander around yourself and look for them. The only list and map of cabinets is the Boards.ie list/map which is here with photo of cabinet.

Ennis is not very well mapped, there are loads of cabs missing from that map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I doubt the eircom lads know where the cabinets are because I doubt they were told.

Take a wander around yourself and look for them. The only list and map of cabinets is the Boards.ie list/map which is here with photo of cabinet.

Ennis is not very well mapped, there are loads of cabs missing from that map.

Hi ctlsleh

I do not have access to such details however I can check your line for any future upgrades. We will have more news on Fibre closer to it's launch date.

Regards

Al

I will add the ones that I'm aware of to the map, but do you expect to see additional cabs other than those at existing exchange locations?

Will there be any underground cabs? I know this is also a deployment option right?

Finally any way to determine where the fibre has been deployed?

Cheers, eoin

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,
    That would be great, thanks.....getting huge congestion these days. Is it possible to,move the line to a closer cabinet if I find one?
    Also can you determine the distance from my cab based on line measurements?
    Do you then have the ability to determine if there is a closer cab?

Thx,
    Eoin

Advertisement