Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling with Dogs

• 29-06-2012 1:11pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm taking the train on Sunday with my Jack Russell and just looking for some tips. Normally I'd get the bus, but officially non-working dogs are prohibited so I figured I'd best not chance it.

What's the story with dogs on trains? The irishrail website says the following:
    Pets on Trains

• Small dogs can be carried free of charge in the passenger compartment of services as outlined above provided they travel on the owners lap.
    • The dog must be kept on a lead at all times unless contained in a basket or in an appropriate container.
    • Small cats can be carried free of charge in the passenger compartment of services as outlined above provided they travel in a secure carrier on the customer's lap.
    • Dogs and/or pets in containers found to be occupying a seat will be liable to a penalty charge.
    • Animals are not allowed in restaurant cars with the exception of Guide dogs or Assistance dogs.
    • If a customer objects to the presence of a dog in their carriage, the owner must be instructed to move it to another part of the train.
    What I'm curious about is how strict they are about the "dogs must be in your lap and not on a seat" part? She's not really a lap dog - she prefers to chill out in her travel crate when going on long car journeys and I imagine it'd be the same for the train. If I got a seat at a table, would I be allowed to "stow" her underneath/on the table in her box?

Thanks in advance for any tips ye can give me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭kimberworth

Trains can be very busy on Sundays but as the colleges are closed for the summer you won't have the students returning so may be quieter.
    As regards the crate under the table... I find it hard enough to fit a bag under the table and then if someone sits opposite you there isn't much leg room.
    I hope it isn't a long journey and I hope it all works out.
    Enjoy!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Her crate is about the same size as a small suitcase, so it may fit. If the train wasn't too busy though I'd be happy to get a 2-seater and put her on one of the seats. I can always move if someone needs it in the end...

It's a 3 hour trip. I might try to get the earliest train in the hopes it'll be the least busy. Also, as I'm leaving Dublin, there should be fewer commuters than on a train going the opposite direction? I hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Make sure to buy a 'dog ticket'. Despite what the website says some IR staff have tried to stop me from travelling with my dogs (I have only had this problem in Dublin), saying that they're not allowed on trains at all, or that they have to be paid for.

I put them in their crates and leave them on the ground in the luggage rack at the end of the carriage and sit facing it so that I can keep an eye on them.

kylith wrote: »
    Make sure to buy a 'dog ticket'. Despite what the website says some IR staff have tried to stop me from travelling with my dogs (I have only had this problem in Dublin), saying that they're not allowed on trains at all, or that they have to be paid for.

I put them in their crates and leave them on the ground in the luggage rack at the end of the carriage and sit facing it so that I can keep an eye on them.

What is a dog ticket? Do I pay for an extra person (child perhaps?) or is there actually something called a dog ticket? :confused:

I might just ring up Irish Rail in the morning and see what the craic is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What is a dog ticket? Do I pay for an extra person (child perhaps?) or is there actually something called a dog ticket? :confused:

I might just ring up Irish Rail in the morning and see what the craic is.
    I think it's a dog/bike ticket, and costs €8 each way.

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    I think it's a dog/bike ticket, and costs €8 each way.

Oh ok. Great, thanks for the information :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Her crate is about the same size as a small suitcase, so it may fit. If the train wasn't too busy though I'd be happy to get a 2-seater and put her on one of the seats. I can always move if someone needs it in the end...

You can reserve your seats on the website for no charge. Check the availability online and if they are free, book one of the two seater seats at the end of the carriage. They have lots and lots of leg room as there is no-one sitting across from you, so you should easily fit a small dog crate there.

iguana wrote: »
    You can reserve your seats on the website for no charge. Check the availability online and if they are free, book one of the two seater seats at the end of the carriage. They have lots and lots of leg room as there is no-one sitting across from you, so you should easily fit a small dog crate there.

Brilliant idea, thanks :D Can you just book them and pay on the day, or do you have to pay in advance? I'm with ulsterbank so I'm having issues with buying things online at the moment :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I think you have to buy them online if you want to reserve. I always book online anyway as it's cheaper but that won't be a lot of help to you if you can't use your card.

Yeah, just checked you do have to pay. I'll see if I can ask my parents to use their TSB card and I'll repay them in cash next time I see them :)

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement

Well myself and the dog made it safely without getting booted off or encountering any hassle. Thanks again for your help, everyone :D

Advertisement