Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wind Farm Support Vessel jobs?

• 29-06-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

hi, ive applied for several jobs in the uk and beyond for jobs on these vessels. Im applying as for the position of deckhand and have various certs from my time as a merchant cadet including the basic STWC 95 training required to apply for these jobs. Ive been waiting 3-4 weeks now and still no reply, anybody involved in this industry or any tips of how to get in?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Bare in mind that ya might be at a disadvantage being Irish & requiring a higher salary than someone from more eastern background..
    As with any job in the business it's a case of right place at the right time to get in anywhere lately, hence how I got mine with the company after months of waiting & applying. I got in with them there just before Christmas as they needed a relief mate over the holiday season & now have a savage rotation.
    Have you tried setting up an account on LinkedIn.com? There's loads of groups & companies registered who post frequently there for jobs.
    Also if ya have any AH or SV experience & contacts they're usually linked to companies who are developing off shore installations like windfarms.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SillySailor

thanks for the reply, ill keep trying but more then likely ill end up back in the merchant fleet but id rather not :P. The wind farm jobs are very appealing due to the rotation and the salery involved even for deck hands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

There's some windfarm work going on out of Arklow, have you spoken with the people there? Might be worth chatting to the lads on the boat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

hi, ive applied for several jobs in the uk and beyond for jobs on these vessels. Im applying as for the position of deckhand and have various certs from my time as a merchant cadet including the basic STWC 95 training required to apply for these jobs. Ive been waiting 3-4 weeks now and still no reply, anybody involved in this industry or any tips of how to get in?

I have been trying myself for a while with lo luck, most of them require a STCW Master <200gt or Commercially endorsed Yachtmaster Ocean/Offshore even for deck hand jobs, i have been fishing on trawlers for years and i have just completed an EDH cert but still finding it hard, i'm going dong a fast rescue boat cert in the next few weeks as it might be of help but getting all these certs is costly business with no guarantee, but will just have to keep trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

gustafo wrote: »
    I have been trying myself for a while with lo luck, most of them require a STCW Master <200gt or Commercially endorsed Yachtmaster Ocean/Offshore even for deck hand jobs, i have been fishing on trawlers for years and i have just completed an EDH cert but still finding it hard, i'm going dong a fast rescue boat cert in the next few weeks as it might be of help but getting all these certs is costly business with no guarantee, but will just have to keep trying.

This is beacuse most of the vessels are coded under the MCA Workboat code of practice and only have two crew (Skipper and Deckhand)

Under this Code and as a minimum there should also be on board a second person experienced and that can take a navigational watch - so normally some proof of some basic training is required here ! , vessels that are Catagory 0 and 1 are required to have another person onboard with minimum of COC or Coastal Skippers Ticket.

Your FRC cert may help you to get aboard a Cat 2 Vessel.

Cat 2,1,and 0 Vessels are also required to have a crew person onboard whom had undertaken and Approved Engine Course or satisfied the Maritime and Coastguard Agency as to their appropriate engineering experience and competency.!

• Advertisement
Advertisement