Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New YouTube Dashboard

• 29-06-2012 1:01pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the best spot, but...

Youtube have made some changes, for the better for once.

They have a new dashboard which shows you some high level stats and activity, it'll probably be good for day to day monitoring of your channel without going into depth with analytics.

https://www.youtube.com/dashboard

They've also done something which I have been dying for them to do for a long time- given the ability to default your new videos titles, tags etc so it doesn't initially show up as "453465467.mp4" or whatever until you edit them (which can be a pita if you're putting up 30 in a day, as I sometimes do).

https://www.youtube.com/account_defaults?feature=vmdshb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I really like the 'on-the-fly' editing too.. just click the headers or bodies of a video and change it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Think a separate thread is probably best.

Dashboard view is interesting - not overly necessary really, but crisp and clean. There are other issues I'd prefer they took care of first.

Haven't really looked at the tagging / editing side, but sounds really helpful. I can definitely see how the defaults come into play for you with the tournament days. Hoping you can set a couple of defaults - I have to go back to the previous episode in a series constantly to copy and paste all the relevant info. Bit of a pain.

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Think a separate thread is probably best.

Dashboard view is interesting - not overly necessary really, but crisp and clean. There are other issues I'd prefer they took care of first.

Haven't really looked at the tagging / editing side, but sounds really helpful. I can definitely see how the defaults come into play for you with the tournament days. Hoping you can set a couple of defaults - I have to go back to the previous episode in a series constantly to copy and paste all the relevant info. Bit of a pain.

Yeah, that's how I have been doing it, imagine doing it for 30 fights, then editing in the players names and the characters to every single one...

Now I can just set a default for a given tournament, fill in the particulars, then change it when I move onto the next one. Going to save me A LOT of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

I wish they would fix the thumbnail issue so you could upload a picture or use any clip from your video as a thumbnail - it sucks the way it is now

I wish they would fix the thumbnail issue so you could upload a picture or use any clip from your video as a thumbnail - it sucks the way it is now

They're not going to fix that, it's not an actual bug- they only give that priviledge to partners.

• Advertisement

They're not going to fix that, it's not an actual bug- they only give that priviledge to partners.
    :) It's the little things :P

really? That seems very unfair to me. If you consider most partners are successful youtubers and having good thumbnails is arguably a major part of becoming known if you are a new small channel then its a closed shop.

/little guy rant

really? That seems very unfair to me. If you consider most partners are successful youtubers and having good thumbnails is arguably a major part of becoming known if you are a new small channel then its a closed shop.

/little guy rant
    If everyone had thumbnails, then partner videos wouldn't get promoted or seen...

Partners make the most income and views, so YouTube wants them to stay ahead of the game so to speak

Tallon wrote: »
    :) It's the little things :P

Are you a partner on youtube? Do you not get trouble with all the game footage and music etc?

If everyone had thumbnails, then partner videos wouldn't get promoted or seen...

Partners make the most income and views, so YouTube wants them to stay ahead of the game so to speak

I presume all thew ways to get around it have been fixed?

• Advertisement

Are you a partner on youtube? Do you not get trouble with all the game footage and music etc?
    I am :)

And no, Machinima pay royalties to cover me, and I only use Copyright free music

I presume all thew ways to get around it have been fixed?
    All what ways?

All what ways?

you used to be able to add a thumbnail to the end of your video and you could use it and it would only show up as a thumbnail and not in your video.

Another was to add a thumbnail picture to the very end of your video (have it 50% of the video length) and then once it was set as the thumbnail edit it out of the end of the video using youtube editor

I tried both and they didnt work so Im assuming its been fixed

you used to be able to add a thumbnail to the end of your video and you could use it and it would only show up as a thumbnail and not in your video.

Another was to add a thumbnail picture to the very end of your video (have it 50% of the video length) and then once it was set as the thumbnail edit it out of the end of the video using youtube editor

I tried both and they didnt work so Im assuming its been fixed
    Oh yeah, that was a long time ago, I remember people doing that

Some of the other features are, logos where your name is above every video, and the ability to have headers and clickable links on your profile page

You can also have shops, and sell stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

And you can do youtube livestreaming too if you're a partner, can't you? And the effectively instant monetization of every video instead of waiting ages for it to be reviewed. And it really always feels like partner's videos load faster than peasants.

I have heard a lot of people complaining about youtube becoming top heavy, but I really can't complain about a free service favouring those that make them money tbh.

You never know, one of us small guys might get there :) they're always pestering me to monetise, and that's the start of it.

I'm not really too worried about any of the extras or making money I just really enjoy making videos. Im a very small channel but in comparison to other start up channels Im actually growing quite quickly and I just want to be able to provide the best videos for people that are tuning in. All the other extra features are nice touches but I think a thumbnail is an essential part of any video - it helps your channel have identity and make it instantly recognisable

Well I need 2 720p widescreen web cams, a powered usb hub, an instensity shuttle, and 2 professional grade miked headsets and that's just what I can think of right now, so some money would be good :D

Yeah, it's nice to get a little something in your account every month for doing something you love

I haven't had time to do much in the past 2 months with traveling for work, but I'm slowly getting back into it now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

They have a new dashboard which shows you some high level stats and activity, it'll probably be good for day to day monitoring of your channel without going into depth with analytics.

https://www.youtube.com/dashboard

Still nothing compared to external sites like VidStatsX and SocialBlade.
    They've also done something which I have been dying for them to do for a long time- given the ability to default your new videos titles, tags etc

I can see this would be very helpful for some people. For me, it's handy for defaulting to the Gaming category (until they get moved to Shows :P) and for immediate claiming.
    And you can do youtube livestreaming too if you're a partner, can't you?

Yes, but I think it's still opt-in at this stage.

• Advertisement

I take my kind words back.

DO NOT use the bulk tagging feature unless you're really sure you won't want to change much about the titles' tags from vid to vid. Sodding thing won't update (youtube not updating promptly? I know, that never happens...) so now I am stuck manually editing half my videos costing way more time than it ever did.

Advertisement