Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godzilla (2014)

• 29-06-2012 1:19pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭

Not much is known about this yet although a presentation will be featured at this summers Comic-Con.

Gareth Edwards (Monsters) is directing from a script by David Goyer which has been rewritten by Max Borenstein, set for release in 2014

Here's some early concept art for the man himself

godzillabanner994.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 1954 original shall not be beaten. Dodgy monster effects aside, its reflections on nuclear energy are surprisingly poignant and timeless.

Monsters was solid if overhyped. Could be interesting, but American Godzilla is inherently wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

set in Japan, yay, set in America, boo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Can't imagine it being set in anywhere other than America TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yeah, I'd imagine the Japanese might be a bit sensitive about Nuclear disaster films at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Monsters was a gem of a film, but a Godzilla film will be an entirely different tone you'd imagine! Monsters had a great heart and was at times beautiful.

But ye give me a large angry monster tearing down cities and I'll be gobbling that shít up all day long! I look forward!

• Advertisement

Gareth Edwards proved what he could do with an almost-micro budget; Monsters had top notch effects, most of which were done from his own computer. I'm excited to see what he could do with a big-budget movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Seems an appropriate time as any...

In regards to a new Godzilla, I have as low expectations as ever... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

They should go the shaky cam, recorded by the survivors route to give it some originality.

Where is that Cloverfield sequel?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I want anti-hero Godzilla saving the day against Mothra or Mechastreisand and I want it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd imagine the Japanese might be a bit sensitive about Nuclear disaster films at the moment...

win comment :P

anyways cant beat another godzilla.. they never followed up on the ~2000's one even though they had the ending they had :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

kenyard wrote: »

anyways cant beat another godzilla.. they never followed up on the ~2000's one even though they had the ending they had :(

It was released in 1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Ridley

kenyard wrote: »

Godzilla: The Series was the sequel to that film apparently.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I want anti-hero Godzilla saving the day against Mothra or Mechastreisand and I want it now.

I'd imagine they will save that for a sequel. I liked that anti-hero dynamic played out in many of the Japanese films where Godzilla was our only hope of defeating some other monster, but more than capable of tearing us a new one if not managed properly.

Looking at that concept art it seems they are going for the more traditional appearance. I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Galvasean wrote: »
    I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

Oi, get back to the paleontology forum, dinosaur boy! :P

Oi, get back to the paleontology forum, dinosaur boy! :P

Feathered Godzilla FTW! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

It was released in 1998.

Now I feel old, thank you very much.

I remember going to see it in the cinema and thinking throughout that the velociraptors were so much better in Jurassic Park.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

It was released in 1998.

Now I feel old, thank you very much.

I remember going to see it in the cinema and thinking throughout that the velociraptors were so much better in Jurassic Park.

Remember think inking that too, the baby godZillas were like bambi on ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Watching 2001s, or after reading this was it 1998 i cant remember tis the one with Matthew Brodrick, Godzilla right now and just saw this thread, im actually looking forward to this tbh, i do imho think that the american version is and will probably be a bit better but we shall see :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Randomly landed on the Godzilla imdb page.
    Some cast are listed Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Bryan Cranston, Elizabeth Olsen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bryan Cranston seems to be in everything nowadays. It's funny how far he's come since Malcolm in the Middle.

• Advertisement

He deserves his success TBH. Fine actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Interesting that both David S. Goyer and Frank Darabont were involved with the script for this reboot

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Frank Darabont

Let's just hope utilizing him doesn't turn out to be a big Mistake.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Poster

ecm2zk8.jpg

Concept art

OdU68Jx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah one of the big flops of 2014, you read it here first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I'm confused? Are people here prasing Broderick's Godzilla? It was tripe!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My expectations for this couldn't be lower. Despite there being a promising director at the helm, there's no reason to believe this will be even remotely watchable or competent. Thus, I can only be pleasantly surprised by the end result. With any other way lies madness.
    [...]
    Looking at that concept art it seems they are going for the more traditional appearance. I might get crucified for this, but I quite liked the more 'modern dinosaur' appearance of the American 'zilla.

Of all the things wrong with the 1998 production, and by god there were plenty, the design of Godzilla wasn't the worst offender. There's only so much creativity you can bring to the 'Giant Lizard' table, and the dinosaur appearance kinda worked. Still doesn't forgive the baby Godzillas though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Worth mentioning as well btw that for those who hated the 1998 design, Toho acknowledged this, retconned that particular monster as 'Zilla' and included him as cannon-fodder in one of the subsequent Godzilla movies. Now that's how you do fan-service :D

Why are people branding this as a failure so early on?

• Advertisement

So they can say I told you so?

Call me old skool, but I like to wait until I've at least seen a trailer before making such predictions.
    That said, I did claim that Michael Bay's Transformers would become a multi-billion dollar franchise before there was even any concept art out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Nothing could ever top this

What, all of one person? :p In fairness it's a second attempt at transferring a relatively niche genre from Japanese cinema to American shores, with the first US Godzilla being something of a well-known trainwreck (that could still figure in the public's mind) Then you look at Pacific Rim's apparently unimpressive takings at the Box Office & one wonders if the appetite exists for big Monster movies such as Godzilla.

Time will tell of course, and it's all supposition for now & maybe I sounded earlier like I'm writing the film off completely, but nobody's silly enough to judge too harshly before even a single trailer has aired; wisest option is to temper expectations way back, in case of another disappointment. I know I will :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Look at cloverfield, that done well did it? I loved Cloverfield. A monster movie done with that darkness works well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Would I be lynched if I admitted liking the American Godzilla?

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Look at cloverfield, that done well did it? I loved Cloverfield. A monster movie done with that darkness works well.

True, though from what I recall Cloverfield benefited from a pretty strong viral / marketing campaign that got the public interested by way of being a massive mystery; it had a brilliantly ambiguous & edited initial trailer that kept its cards close to its chest - for the longest while it wasn't clear what Cloverfield was - with 'normal' news outlets joining in the mystery...

We shall see though; hopefully Comic Con will yield some form of trailer anyway...
    .ak wrote: »
    Would I be lynched if I admitted liking the American Godzilla?

Depends on what you liked about it, but generally? Yes, you're a bad person. Go to a corner :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Just liked it as a big, leave your brain at the door, blockbuster... in the same way I like independence day. Guilty pleasures, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Maybe not. The original was a reflection on Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Which was very recent history at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

.ak wrote: »
    Just liked it as a big, leave your brain at the door, blockbuster... in the same way I like independence day. Guilty pleasures, I guess.

I did too, but I'm looking forward to this one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I really hope they run with some monster island or similar scenario, trying to redo the Godzilla vs man scenario does not translate to hollywood mostly because they wont (cant?) show the US army getting its ass proper whooped in american cinema*. They always got to come back and win which every Godzilla fan knows DOES NOT HAPPEN in a Godzilla movie.

*I mean proper whooped, sure you might see a battle or two go bad, but usually at the end of every movie the US army is still organized still fighting and winning. See: Independence day, transformers, Godzilla 98, war of the worlds, battle los angelus etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Well, going by those posters this Godzilla will be absolutely gigantic, or maybe it's just misleading marketing. :pac:

• Advertisement

I liked the 98 Godzilla.

There I said it, actually I think I love it!

The Manhattan project coming back to bite it in the arse. Great stuff.

Can't sleep and its far too warm to do anything so I decided to throw on Godzilla kill two hours. The decision to throw out the original script where Godzilla fought other monsters and instead focus on Godzilla vs. the Army was the films first mistaken. It's simply not that interesting and not all that fun. Casting Matthew Broderick was the second mistake, he's the least imposing hero you could imagine and is about as interesting as a damp sponge. He has absolutely no screen presence here and you really wish that Jean Reno had been given more to do.

Visually the film is quite nice though the decision to shoot every screen in the middle if a rainstorm makes everything look murky. I'm sure it was done do as to make the FX work look more impressive by hiding any shortcomings but all it really accomplishes is make a truly impressive FX creation look cheap.

Well, going by those posters this Godzilla will be absolutely gigantic, or maybe it's just misleading marketing. :pac:

They exaggerated his size in the '98 one too.

godzilla.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

I liked the 98 movie. A family friend brought myself and the two brothers. She used to mind us if the parents had to go somewhere.

I loved it as a kid. I watched it a year or two ago and it's nowhere near as rubbish as it is made out to be. It's far from a classic, but I've seen a lot of much worse blockbusters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I always found it to be a passable film, not a very good film by any means but watchable.

Broderick, though, is completely annoying in it. Anybody cast in his role would have been better and probably would've given the film a bit more fun, he has the on-screen personality of a wet shìte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I loved it as a kid. I watched it a year or two ago and it's nowhere near as rubbish as it is made out to be. It's far from a classic, but I've seen a lot of much worse blockbusters.

It's not that bad, the final act with the mini Zillas is awful but it has some good moments in the first half. Cardboard cutout characters and cliches aplenty but meh, seen a lot worse in recent years blockbuster wise. 1998 was a pretty terrible summer for movies, Armageddon was probably the best of the bunch and that ain't saying much, in a summer with The Avengers, Lost In Space, Deep Impact, shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I liked the Jamiroquai song that was on its soundtrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I liked the Jamiroquai song that was on its soundtrack.

You bastard, now it's stuck in my head again after getting it out of there all those years ago!

Just after finishing up the second half of the film and I'm not going to lie, it's a bloody enjoyable film. It's far from a great film and the script could seriously do with a rewrite or three but for a bit of throw away spectacle it's a lot of fun and I can see why I enjoyed it so much in the cinema when it first came out. It's big, dumb fun and at the time those FX were astounding. Much of the CGI looks dated now but there are moments such as when Godzilla is trapped on the suspension bridge that hold up very well.

If you removed Broderick, the love story, the baby Zillas and instead focused on Godzilla tearing his way across the US with the Army in pusuit then you could have quite a better film but considering how low my expectations were what I got was pleasantly surprising and a film that's no where near as bad as it's reputation would lead you to believe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement