Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Godzilla (2014)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

pixelburp wrote: »
    The biggest red flag for me so far has been the insinuation that Adam Taylor-Johnson is the film's main focus and human lead. Cannot abide that actor and find him an utterly charmless charisma vacuum.

I watched Savages last night and himself ,Taylor Kitsch and Blake Lively were the most wooden and loathsome characters I have seen in a long time.
    I was rooting for the bad guys to mutilate them .
    Seems to indicate how worries Hollywood is of having anything other than a young male protagonist in film's like this

Not only that but these young male actors all seem to be metrosexual and wouldn't beat their way out of a paper bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thankfully only three reports, one bad one good one meh.

Going to have to stay away from this thread until I see it for myself.

Although with my horribly biased favoritism from childhood, I'll probably love this regardless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

It's bagoomeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

A guy I know in Canada saw this last night.

He said its fantastic, he and I have similar tastes so Im looking forward to it now.

I was a massive Godzilla fan when I was a chung fella so Im pretty excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Seeing it tonight, cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Seeing it Saturday, looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would it be worth waiting to see in IMAX does anyone think?

The bad press here is a bit depressing but I think it's one of those films I just have to see.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The bad press here is a bit depressing but I think it's one of those films I just have to see.

My screening later is in IMAX so ill let you know how it fares

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Proper IMAX or Cineworld "IMAX"? I saw it in Cineworld's screen and it added nothing whatsoever to the film, really (better sound system aside), so I'd recommend just watching it wherever in 2D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Proper IMAX or Cineworld "IMAX"? I saw it in Cineworld's screen and it added nothing whatsoever to the film, really (better sound system aside), so I'd recommend just watching it wherever in 2D.

I'm going to see family in London next weekend hopefully so I'd hope that they a proper IMAX.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm going to see family in London next weekend hopefully so I'd hope that they a proper IMAX.

There's no full IMAX version of the film as far as I can gather, so you'll just be watching a digital version regardless. I'm sure BFI IMAX is a significantly better screen than the Cineworld one in Dublin, but bear in mind you won't be getting the genuine experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

IMHO it definitely benefits from seeing it on the big screen - the bigger the better. However, I came away thinking that the 3D aspect was redundant. That was probably just me, though. I can't stand it. Ever.

Ryaller wrote: »
    IMHO it definitely benefits from seeing it on the big screen - the bigger the better. However, I came away thinking that the 3D aspect was redundant. That was probably just me, though. I can't stand it. Ever.

For me it'd be IMAX 2D or just the standard 2D. I've seen one film that utilised 3D properly and that was Dredd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

So we have Godzilla,X-Men and Edge of Tomorrow released within 2 weeks of each other and then almost nothing for 2 months .Bizarre.
    Do they think nobody will go the cinema when the World Cup is on .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have they shown the Interstellar trailer at any of the screenings yet?

• Advertisement

So we have Godzilla,X-Men and Edge of Tomorrow released within 2 weeks of each other and then almost nothing for 2 months .Bizarre.
    Do they think nobody will go the cinema when the World Cup is on .

Anyone like me who dislikes sports will b I've no interest in the world cup and am dreading the summer months as a quiet pint will be impossible to get.

Anyone like me who dislikes sports will b I've no interest in the world cup and am dreading the summer months as a quiet pint will be impossible to get.

I'd completely forgotten that the world cup was this summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

For me it'd be IMAX 2D or just the standard 2D. I've seen one film that utilised 3D properly and that was Dredd.

Is there an IMAX 2D screen? I thought all IMAX in ireland show in 3D?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is there an IMAX 2D screen? I thought all IMAX in ireland show in 3D?

If it's 3D film, yes. Otherwise they screen in 2D for the same price. The screen is slightly larger than average. It's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

If it's 3D film, yes. Otherwise they screen in 2D for the same price. The screen is slightly larger than average. It's a scam.

Couldn't believe the price when I looked up a 3d IMAX film . 16.50 or so per ticket! Also since when has the price of cinema tickets gotten so expensive ?! I haven't been in about a year, and now nearly everywhere is 11.50 or so! That's a discussion for another day though.

• Advertisement

Cineworld ticket prices are in a league of their own, though, even for standard tickets. Unless you have unlimited, I wouldn't recommend going near the place as it's an absolute rip-off, especially since it's just a bog standard multiplex inside anyway.

Lighthouse is a far superior cinema and you won't pay over a tenner for a ticket, and you're supporting an independent cinema that has a far more interesting range of programming. Savoy is another good option for stuff Lighthouse doesn't have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

agreed on those two suggestions, and lighthouse is the nicest cinema. Savoy probably have some 5e deal or something too.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Kiith wrote: »
    Have they shown the Interstellar trailer at any of the screenings yet?

I saw it in Cineworld today and they had the new Intersteller trailer before the film. The new trailer gives absolutely nothing away about the film. It's the same Mathew McC narration about our history as explorers/pioneers but a bit longer and with footage of early spaceflight etc. If you've ever seen the introduction of Star Trek Enterprise you'll get the idea. Not worth looking forward to.

The film itself reminded me a bit of Independence Day with the lame family drama playing out in the foreground while the world burns in the background. In Independence Day the mayhem kicks off pretty early on and we get to see it up close. Here it's bubbling away in the background before we really get to see it up close. I enjoyed it all the same but how this film is getting fairly positive reviews while Independence Day (which I love) gets universally slammed is beyond me. The acting/plot here is no more intelligent than in old ID4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It was a decent blockbuster, no more no less. Funny for some of the Pacific Rim bashing in this thread this had none of the joy, charm, heart and sense of camp Saturday morning fun that that film offered for me. That's a film that from first moment to last knew EXACTLY what it was going for whereas whenever there isn't some large creature filling the frame this film seems to just spin its wheels. The drama is unconvincing and I can not grant the film the surprise of
    killing off Cranston and Binoche when they were the two actors who could have given some proper weight to proceedings in the first place.
    It's saved by its own ability to deliver a worthwhile setpiece but is really hampered by its own human characters.

Worth a watch because it eventually hits its stride, but I cant help but think I'll get more out of a rewatch of both Monsters and Pacific Rim, each one delivering tenfold on different elements that this film promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Ryaller

how this film is getting fairly positive reviews while Independence Day (which I love) gets universally slammed is beyond me. The acting/plot here is no more intelligent than in old ID4

'Murica.

Ryaller wrote: »
    'Murica.

??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Lads, did anyone see the new Interstellar trailer before the film started? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Falthyron wrote: »
    Are you sure? Seen no news of a second trailer yet....

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »

The ?? was more in relation to "Murica" as a response to my post. I've seen Team America.

Yes... It shows nothing of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Walked in late and was greeted with the Mrs Brown's Boys trailer instead. :(

e_e wrote: »
    Walked in late and was greeted with the Mrs Brown's Boys trailer instead. :(

Haha, I had to endure that too, was a strange choice of film to advertise before a creature feature. The other trailers were for sci fi/fantasy films and that really stood out like a sore thumb. All of the jokes fell completely flat, the entire crowd collectively cringing at every gag selected for the trailer. Looks absolutely awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I loved the opening third of the film. Had a great tone and structure to it, reminiscent of Independence Day... Felt like we're on to a winner here, and then
    Bryan Cranston dies, and slowly but surely the movie begins to die too. Screen presence was wiped from the film when Cranston kicked the bucket and in turn the film just descended into the usual Pacific Rim, etc, etc. with the monster from the 80's Chewits TV commercial .

It's great popcorn fare (the same popcorn fare), but the potential to do something different was right there. That's the biggest disappointment.

Are you sure? Seen no news of a second trailer yet....

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/31977/-interstellar-trailer-with-godzilla

Maybe it will be only shown in U.S. cinemas or a particular cinema chain.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It sucked so much, only thing I can say is the dop must have had a fantastic time cause every other hod dropped the ball massively on this one.

It's the same length as pacific rim but it feels like it drags on forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

THe new, longer and more revealing intersteller trailer was on the front of Godzilla in Dundrum.

On Godzilla.... bitterly disappointed with it. Enjoyed the first half which was rather slow, deliberate and serious - but the fun never occured to give it the pay off it required.

The movie could be described as 'This happens, then they do this, then this happens.....oh, and Godzilla does some stuff in the background a bit'.

It is worse than transformers was for taking the attention away from the titular character, imo. Also, the military were painfully stupid and the cast woefully underused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

This thread has gone down hill. First posts were all about the awesome trailers ect ect Now, it's **** and we we're cheated. I'm taking my Da to see this, he hasnt been to the cinema in 5 years. Now, he and I don't care if it lives up to Japanese monster tradition. So the Pacific Rim refernces are lost on me. Just, someone tell me, it's not as bad as 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'' remake. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It pains me to see how badly Pacific Rim was dissected apart, it had a wonderful childlike sense of fun and "wahhhhaaayyy!!!", but could be semi serious too, as opposed to Bay's Transformers "Grrrrrrrhhhhh,bawww, military advertisment, grungy, trashy" feeling. I feel dirty after those movies

Also nice to see a western funded movie where East meets West set in Asia, it was a like a anime saturday morning movie/cartoon come to life. Pure imagination and an cool concept.

Pacific Rim was the first movie in years with that Independence Day feel, though the tone is only slightly more carefree. Has an iconic theme too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Noblong wrote: »
    Just, someone tell me, it's not as bad as 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'' remake. ?

Jaysus no! Not remotely.
    It's grand, it's just kinda bland. A complete by the numbers blockbuster.

Ken Watanabe was hilarious in it. I don't think he says anything of use for the whole movie. He just stares softly at what's going on around him.

Jaysus no! Not remotely.

Ken Watanabe was hilarious in it. I don't think he says anything of use for the whole movie. He just stares softly at what's going on around him.

He'd probably be taken more seriously if he didn't talk like a mystic meg for the entirety of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He'd probably be taken more seriously if he didn't talk like a mystic meg for the entirety of the movie.

Exactly, or if he said anything of note. Instead it's just vague philosophical nonsense that offers nothing!

Oh, and I'd watch Bryan Cranston eat popcorn. They guy just elevates stuff.

I loved it. As a kid who grew up watching the old Toho films, it really ticked all the boxes for me. It felt like a great homage to the 54 original. I'll admit some of the acting was a bit bland and there were several cringeworthy lines, but I expected that going in given the subject matter. The sound design really stood out for me. You could almost feel the seat shake when Godzilla roared. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Jaysus no! Not remotely.

Ken had a look on his face akin to someone working on a constipated dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I found it disappointing as well, the middle third is just way too slow. Says a lot when the main man is the best character in it.

Yes... It shows nothing of the film.

To anyone waiting to see the Interstellar trailer, I may have been wrong here. I hadn't seen the original trailer since it was first released and hadn't paid all that much attention to it at the time. I'd read there was going to be a new trailer with Godzilla so I assumed what I was watching was the new trailer, even though it was suspiciously like the old one.

Having just watched the old one on Youtube now, it seems that what I saw was actually just the old one :-0... apologies for any confusion my earlier dismissal of said trailer may have caused.

TO be clear on the Interstellar trailer - the one I saw last night in Dundrum before Godzilla is certainly one I had not seen before. It is not the teaser that shows nothing of the movie. The one I saw last night explains the basic plot and premise of the movie, is between 2 and 3 minutes long, and shows a good number of scenes. It is NOT the monologue about mankinds exploratory history.

TO be clear on the Interstellar trailer - the one I saw last night in Dundrum before Godzilla is certainly one I had not seen before. It is not the teaser that shows nothing of the movie. The one I saw last night explains the basic plot and premise of the movie, is between 2 and 3 minutes long, and shows a good number of scenes. It is NOT the monologue about mankinds exploratory history.

Thanks! :D Guess it will be worth seeing Godzilla now :P

Thanks! :D Guess it will be worth seeing Godzilla now :P

If the Interstellar trailer is part of the draw for you then be sure to see it in the right cinema. I watched it in Cineworld and it was the old trailer shown.

• Advertisement
Advertisement