Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SWTOR system requirements & performance

Options
  • 29-06-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Going by the official requirements etc., my PC should have no problem with SWTOR, but I've read different things on the forums, to the effect that framerate and performance can be iffy, even on high-end systems. My own system is:

AMD Phenom x4 9600 2.3 Ghz CPU
    PNY GTX 550 Ti 1Gb DDR5 GPU
    6Gb DDDR2 RAM
    Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium

Anyone who can offer some insight as to what sort of performance I can expect with SWTOR? Would it handle med/high settings comfortably? Thanks, in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭LanceStorm

high settings should be no problem with that setup!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Granted, I'm using fairly low settings but I have no framerate issues. The only time my game has experienced any issue at all is with UPC's problem at the moment where my modem keeps malfunctioning for some ungodly reason.

The requirements are fairly low in general my computer is about 6 years old with a 4 year old GPU and a bitta extra RAM and its working a charm, yours is newer obviously so I'd say it'll be smooth as you'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lockky wrote: »
    The only time my game has experienced any issue at all is with UPC's problem at the moment where my modem keeps malfunctioning for some ungodly reason.

Dont get me started on that! was in the middle of a FP yesterday and the whole thing cut out!

As for Minimum requirements, my PC is having a hard time of late with the game, but ive chalked it down to my GPU on its last legs. Gonna grab an SSD to speed up loading times too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Just so you know, SSD's don't help with loading times apparently. Was looking into it yesterday, and loading times are apparently server side, with a ssd only improving loads by a very small amount. Haven't tested it yet, but will later when i resub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Kiith wrote: »
    Just so you know, SSD's don't help with loading times apparently. Was looking into it yesterday, and loading times are apparently server side, with a ssd only improving loads by a very small amount. Haven't tested it yet, but will later when i resub.

Welcome back, things have improved.

That's a shame though, I recently bought an SSD hoping it might help with the loading times. it's a very annoying part of the game because it's all planet and instance based, and there are very long loading times in it.

Anyway, I have a 5850 Xtreme, and I can pretty much run everything up full, the only problems I have are on the fleet with 200+ people there but I think that's nearly more down to lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yeah its server communication lag. Its horrible on fleet. Reminds me of old Orgrimmar in WoW

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Lockky

Vicxas wrote: »
    Dont get me started on that! was in the middle of a FP yesterday and the whole thing cut out!

As for Minimum requirements, my PC is having a hard time of late with the game, but ive chalked it down to my GPU on its last legs. Gonna grab an SSD to speed up loading times too.

Yeah same thing happened to me, though they said they're fixing it so all will be well in a couple of days and then you get 35meg broadband back which is sweet :D

I think the fleet lag is worse than anything I have experienced in WoW. Now obviously my rig is older than when I played WoW (until the end of WoTLK) but even still I avoid that hell hole at all costs, takes about 10mins just to go buy my spells or whatever and leave its horrific!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SPARC64

Sounds promising, on the settings front. Might give it a go. I've been thinking about an alternative to Age of Conan, which is like a bloody ghost-town now. A shame really, given how wonderful AoC's combat system is.

Thanks for all your replies :)

Advertisement