Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to extract an image from a PDF file?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is the right place to ask this.

I want to include some graphs and other images from a PDF report I was sent in a document I am creating. All I can think of is screen printing the image, opening it in Paint and trimming it so I can insert it into the document I'm creating but that sounds awfully amateur and time consuming.

Ideally I'd like to be able to highlight the area of the PDF file I want, 'cut' it and paste it into the MS Word document I'm creating.

Any suggestions as to how I can do that?

Ben

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Some viewers like nitro or maybe foxit have this function built in but you can always try a stand-alone tool:

(example tool, probably works fine but by no means is this a recommendation)
    http://www.somepdf.com/some-pdf-image-extract.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Do you have Adobe Reader Pro? You can right click and copy the image out of the pdf if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Aswerty

You can use MS Word to crop a print screen image pasted into it. Personally print screening and cropping is my process of choice to add images to a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Microsoft Paint. Take a screen shot of your PDF and paste into Paint. 'Cut' out the image you want.

Tool of champions. Long as the image doesn't run over the size of the screen of course...

Edit - oh you had already thought of this yourself :) Amateur but effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Depends on how the PDF was made — if it was made via decent editing software, the image will be distinct within the PDF. Latest version of Acrobat, you can just right-click & copy to clipboard.

Sometimes though the PDF is one completely flat file — you can't even highlight text — if this is the case, screenshot or similar is about your only option. Or if you have Photoshop, you can import pages of the PDF as layers & trim them down that way (a little quicker, but essentially the same process).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you take a screen image then use Ifanview to manipulate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Thanks FSL, that looks like a great APP.

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Ballyv24

If you download Gadwin Printscreen, when you hit print screen you can select the area of the screen that you want to capture. You can also alter the settings so the the image is copied to the clipboard, or saved to a .jpg file.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Personally I find paint.net the best/easiest way to manipulate images like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Seamu$

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Do you have Adobe Reader Pro? You can right click and copy the image out of the pdf if you do.

Not sure if this is the same as Adobe Reader Pro, but I have a version called Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Professional and that has a 'snapshot tool' that would allow the OP do what they require.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

What is Adobe Reader Pro? I can find Adobe Reader and the full blown Adobe Acrobat application but I can't find something called "Adobe Reader Pro" :o

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Acrobat Pro is what I meant to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,604 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

For screen captures I reckon Faststone Capture is excellent- I'm not affiliated with the company in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Imagemagick. Do this:
    mogrify -format jpg -quality 100 document.pdf

It will convert every page into a separate JPG file. Not the tidiest solution, but it works great for extracting images!

Advertisement