Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 Streaming with UPC Cisco EPC 2425 Router

Options
  • 29-06-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Note: This thread has also been posted to the Xbox forum, but I'm cross posting in the hope that it may get noticed by more people. From what I gather, people with PS3's can stream just fine, but setting this feature up for the Xbox360 is a pain. Also, I know there is a post concerning EPC2425 speed issues stickied in this forum, but as I have no issues with speed and the problem lies in getting my PC and Xbox to communicate, I didn't think it should go there.

Hey guys,
    I have been pulling my hair out over this for about 3 weeks now, so I'm really hoping someone in here can help me out. I am a UPC customer, with a Cisco EPC2425 router/modem as my connectivity device. I am attempting to stream from my main PC (running Windows 7 Ultimate) to my Xbox360. Both are connected to the router with wired connections. Both devices can connect to the Internet with no problem. Last night I had some slight success by enabling streaming manually through an option in the 'Networks and Sharing' control panel app (via Windows Media Player - allowing media to be streamed to the detected Xbox). While this was not the elegant solution I was after, it worked (for an episode) and promptly cut out after, and as of when I went to bed last night was refusing to work again.

It should be noted at this point that the Xbox can 'see' my PC, and vice versa, but any attempt to attach the Xbox as an extender to Windows Media Center has not worked. The wizard will reach step 4, start scanning my (admittedly large) library and I'll shortly receive a message on my Xbox telling me that it cannot connect to the PC. I have not yet tried XBMC (for streaming anyway - it won't pick up all of my library) or any other streaming option, after getting quite frustrated. I have tried using PortForward.com's guides to opening ports for my particular router, and setting a static IP (for the PC anyway, the Xbox currently is assigned its IP dynamically), still to no joy.

Prior to this house (2 houses ago actually), I had been able to set the EPC2425 into bridge mode and utilise an old Netgear router I had around the place, and everything worked fine. I hadn't needed this setup in my last house, so upon moving into my new house 3 weeks ago, set about doing the exact same thing I had before. I (many frustrating hours later) found out from the freephone UPC support that they had pushed a firmware upgrade out onto the EPC2425's to disable this feature. I was then advised by the freephone support people to ring UPC's premium rate support number, which, every time I have rung it thus far, has just rung out. What corporate phone number just rings out and doesn't take you into a queue?!

To boil it all down, I am asking you, fellow Xbox'ers (and hopefully UPC customers) if any of you have encountered this issue in the past, with the aim of picking some brains to see if anyone has solved it (or at least found a workaround - I don't care how complicated, making this work will make my life easier). There's a pint in it for anyone who can bring resolution (will travel to you!).

Cheers lads!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I just followed the instructions from here:

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/30862.aspx

Has worked perfectly for me,on my old EPC2425 and my new Thomson UPC router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This is 90% likely to be the PC at fault. The router can interfere with external TCP/UDP packets, but internally should do feck all.

Have you tried another PC? That'd be the first step. Also, make sure your machine sees the network as a Home Network. If its public or work media streaming will be off by default.

After that get a proper DNLA host, something like XMBC or Mezzmo. And remember, the 360 wont play everything, MS were kinda picky on formats.

Advertisement