Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any cheap shipping companies around?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi guys I own a website that well sells food online we are just about to launch but Im looking for shipping companies that are cheap and can deliver within 1-2 days especialy if im sending meat parcels to lets say u.s.a or australia because the dry ice keeps it fresh for up to 48 hours?

can anyone recommend any companies and how to lets say get a cheaper deal on sending parcels ? they ll be weighing from 2-3 kg at the most

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

This won't be a problem for you. Do a Google search for "Importing meat into Australia". The Yanks also have stringent regulations.
    I hope your business model isn't dependent on this type of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Hello Clarbar,

You can get any amount of courier companies to do this type of work, but ..... you need to make absolutely sure that you have all the import formalities properly lined up at destination. That is where the delay will happen.

If you are an online sales company, your clients are likely to be consumers, rather than professional importers / distributors. In case of the latter they will be familiar with all the procedures and are able to arrange customs clearance on arrival. If you are dealing with consumers, they won't have a clue.

I would recommend to check which countries you are likely to sell into and do your research. I would suggest to contact An Bord Bia, as they will have helped exporters penetrate new markets and would perhaps have a database of requirements on a per country basis.

Like I said, DHL, TNT, UPS, FEDEX are the most likely candidates. But they are only going to be as good as the preparations you and your clients make on the other side.

One other point, you mentioned dry ice. That would be considered a low risk hazard and needs to be declared accordingly for shipment by air. Maybe Bord Bia may be able to recommend some alternative cooling methods.

Post again if you need anything else

Best regards,
    Rudolf289
    clarbar wrote: »
    Hi guys I own a website that well sells food online we are just about to launch but Im looking for shipping companies that are cheap and can deliver within 1-2 days especialy if im sending meat parcels to lets say u.s.a or australia because the dry ice keeps it fresh for up to 48 hours?

can anyone recommend any companies and how to lets say get a cheaper deal on sending parcels ? they ll be weighing from 2-3 kg at the most

Advertisement