Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patching up some plasterwork

• 29-06-2012 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

We replaced the kitchen in our house recently and I took off the original tiles as well while we were at it. The old tiles didn't come off uniformly. In some places there is a thick layer of adhesive left behind, in a few places the adhesive came off and the original painted wall is exposed but in other places the paint and top layer of plaster (skimcoat?) also came off.

Now I need to prepare the wall to hang the new tiles. I've never done any plastering before but I'm handy enough at the DIY I have tried, and the results don't need to be perfect because it won't be seen behind the new tiles anyway, so I thought I'd give it a go myself. Would I be correct in understanding that I need to get all the old adhesive off first and then buy a bag of skim coat and use that to bring the rest up to the level of the original painted wall? Do I need to apply something to the spots where the original skim coat came off first to help it bond properly or can I just apply the skim coat directly?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭W0bble5

If you're tiling over then the easiest thing to do is just put the thinnest slab of plasterboard over the whole wall that is in bad shape. I did this recently. I think the thinnest slab I could get was 3/8 inch and gives a perfect smooth wall to tile over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

W0bble5 wrote: »
    If you're tiling over then the easiest thing to do is just put the thinnest slab of plasterboard over the whole wall that is in bad shape. I did this recently. I think the thinnest slab I could get was 3/8 inch and gives a perfect smooth wall to tile over.

9mm plasterboard.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

6mm ply stuck on

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimmytom

quick one for ye, any info much appreciated. recently put up a vertical / sloping combi roof window with intermediate rafter supports. the window is white pvc and hence the rafters which came as part of the window make up are also pvc. the joints in these rafters look very cheap. I am thinking of screwing either plasterboard or ply to these rafters and box them out. can skim be applied directly to ply? I have about 10-12mm to play with between rafter and edge of window

Advertisement