Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shallot instead of pearls in beef bourguignon

• 29-06-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm doing beef bourguignon today, and I've never done it before. The recipe states that 18-24 pearl onions should be allowed simmer for up to 40 minutes, and then placed with mushrooms on top of the beef in the casserole dish. I couldn't find pearl onions so substituted them with shallots. 18-24 undiced shallots on top of the main stew part seems a bit much though. Are they a suitable replacement for pearls, and would they be too much having simmered gently for 40 minutes?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've just made them 2 nights ago and same story, couldn't find pearl onions so I used 12 fairly large shallots. The recipe calls for 1kg beef so it looked like the amount of shallots is just ok. Being an onion lover, I would've easily gone for 15 shallots. But anymore could be a tad overwhelming, I think. But then again, it depends on the size of your shallots. Like I said, mine were fairly large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

I've always used shallots, because that was what was in the first recipe I ever read. Looking through recipes generally, there seems to be about a 50/50 split between shallot users and pearl onion users. There are a few misguided souls who use chopped onions, but they are better ignored!

It might be that the pearl onions are the original ingredient, but I like the sweetness of shallots. Personally, I don't think you can have too many shallots, though I suppose that attitude does need moderating based on the amount of meat that I'm using.

For four people, 24 shallots is quite a modest amount, in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the responses. I was getting a bit worried looking at the mound of shallots I had peeled!

Just to confirm the recipe: when the mushrooms and shallots are done, I just lay them on top of the "stew" and bung them in the oven for a few minutes before serving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I always use shallots too, but I sauté them along with the button mushrooms in some oil and butter, add a squeeze of lemon juice and then cook them until they're tender (a few minutes) before adding them at the end. Also if you haven't already peeled the shallots, keep a bit of the root end intact or else they'll fall apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks Alun. I'm gonna saute them. Do you put the shallots and mushrooms right on top of the stew part?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Don't forget to add the butter in which you cooked the mushrooms and the onions or shallots - there's lots of taste in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Yes you top the stew with pearl onion/shallots and mushroom sautee. Normally the last 30-40 min.

I do use finely chopped onion as base to the stew, on top of the shallots. Nothing wrong there at all. Just makes a thicker stew and add sweetness. Each to their own I suppose.

Advertisement