Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hostel in Oz bans all Irish from staying there

• 29-06-2012 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Interestingly the owner of the hostel is Irish himself.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0629/1224318966338.html
    A DUBLIN man who runs a pub and hostel in the north Queensland town of Prosperpine is refusing to accommodate any more Irish backpackers after a series of drunken and property-damaging incidents.

The latest episode saw two Irish men being arrested at the hostel adjoining O’Duinns bar after they allegedly caused damage by breaking chairs, windows and a table.

Thomas Dunne, whose business is close to the famous Airlie Beach resort, said: “We have security here from 11 o’clock at night because people are getting up at five for work [on local farms] and it’s usually the Irish ones who are causing all the problems.

“The security tell me they are getting the same from the Irish at pubs in Airlie Beach, giving them lots of lip.

“It used to be the English,” he added, “now it’s the Irish.”

Mr Dunne’s 55-bed backpacker hostel is used by young people on working holiday visas who work on farms for three months in order to get a second-year visa.

He said some local farmers no longer wanted to hire Irish people because of their poor work.

“We’ve just been told by one farm a couple of days ago ‘We’re not taking any more Irish or English, no Europeans at all. All we want is Koreans’.

“So we sent 40 Koreans out to that farm.”

After these and other incidents, including an alleged arson attack by an Irish woman, Mr Dunne no longer wants Irish people staying on his premises.

“If Irish people ring up we say ‘Sorry, we’re full’.

“If they’re going to be here for three months [working on a farm] you don’t want all that trouble, that’s why we knock them back straight away.”

Mr Dunne added: “It’s distressing for my wife. She’s just gone to the police now because she can’t put up with it. And also my 17-year-old daughter, who is working here in the bar with us: she is all distressed about what’s happening.”

Mr Dunne, who also has a 15- year-old son and a 19-year-old daughter who is currently in Dublin, contrasted the behaviour of some Irish backpackers with that of asylum-seekers trying to get to Australia.

“Hundreds of poor boat people died last week trying to get into Australia,” he said, “and these guys who could not get a job in Ireland have been given the opportunity to work and the opportunity to extend their visa an extra year by working 12 weeks on a farm.”

He said “low-lifes” who caused damage should be kept in Ireland to “give the real refugees a chance”.

Another Irish racist so.....just this time he's racist against his own:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

RATM wrote: »

sounds like he is running a korean slave farm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 307 ✭✭CodyJarrett

Ah well, there's no place like home sure.

/Clicks heels three times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Sounds like he would prefer getting people straight from the boats and into his hostel to rent them out to the farms for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I read these sort of articles and think it's odd that the Irish are causing so much trouble. Then I think about the people I know who've chosen to travel there and it clicks into place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Its his business I assume he has a right to refuse entry to whoever he wants and he's of the opinion that an Irish person is more likely to cause damage to his property given his experiences.

Racism or good business ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Meh, no surprise really. I've done the J1 and been away with the Irish a good few times and some of the people on them trips. Especially the younger ones who are just doing their 1 year away from home, just up for havin the laugh and gettin wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

I'm not saying he's right or wrong but I don't blame him, there's a large amount of Irish over there who are (a) Ass-holes and (b) can't stay off the drink for ten minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Yo! MTV SUCKS

^^^^^ THIS, crime has been cut in half in my town since the great flight to oz,couldnt be ****ing happier these low lifes are leaving our country
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Irish is a race now? ;)

Tbh, I understand him and I've heard of other places having the same policy, just that they don't say it out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Bloody apes, can they not behave themselves. The drunken Paddy shtick has grown old and is appealing to nobody.

• Advertisement

Bloody apes, can they not behave themselves. The drunken Paddy shtick has grown old and is appealing to nobody.

But it's a right of passage to go abroad and fulfill the stereotype of being an obnoxious drunken Arse hole.

humbert wrote: »
    I read these sort of articles and think it's odd that the Irish are causing so much trouble. Then I think about the people I know who've chosen to travel there and it clicks into place.

Exactly, the majority of people that I know who traveled are the young tradesman types who when here spent their 1k a week on drink, drugs and boy racer cars.

Add to that the fact that they go over thinking its going to be a year long holiday in the sun and you end up with quite a few of them causing trouble.

I dont think its anything to do with any particular nationality but when you have young people emigrating in groups going out and drinking heavily there is going to be trouble. Emigrating in large groups doesnt allow people to integrate either which doesnt help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

...all the while trying to convince ourselves that everybody thinks we're great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I post this just for further debate - it just concerns Australia:
    Is Australia tainted by the Irish?
    Thursday, December 15th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The Irish baby boomers in Australia like to make merry because they have something to celebrate, having left a country that promised them everything but left them with nothing. But do they deserve their loutish reputation, asks Shaunagh Connaire.

There is an estimated 300,000 Irish living in Australia and a few months ago I travelled there to visit the manifold emigrants of Generation Y, better known as my siblings and friends. Admittedly, I entered the country with many pre-conceived prejudices about the Irish backpacker lifestyle Down Under. Quite frankly, I did not want to meet this ill mannered and oafish plague, whose panache for drinking ‘Goon’ in the company of their county colour comrades have prompted many to shun the Australian visa, even in these difficult times. Remarkably though, after four weeks of Sydney, Gold Coast and Perth bliss, I seem to have eschewed this stereotype.

This is what I did observe. The untold story if you will.

My first acquaintance was with an Irish engineer in her twenties, based in Sydney and working full time in the medical industry. Every Wednesday evening she volunteers for ‘Active After School Community’ (AASC), an Australian government-led initiative. This programme provides disadvantaged children with the opportunity to participate in sport after school in an effort to reduce future health costs, by preventing children from requiring treatment for obesity.

When probed about the typical Irish stereotype down under, she says: ‘There is no doubt that the Irish, including myself, enjoy a few drinks over here but being verbally attacked constantly by our own national media is becoming tedious, not to mention unoriginal. I pay Australian taxes like most other Irish people here and I try to give back to the community when I can. It’s just a shame that the minority always catch the attention of the press and we all get pigeonholed in the process.’

Another Irish engineer, early thirties, spends his weekends teaching Aussies between the ages of 6-12 Gaelic football. Along with other Irish volunteers, he helps to organize kids’ tournaments between AFL teams and newly formed GAA teams in order to promote the Irish sport Down Under. In a bid to make the sport more sustainable in Australia, this group of volunteers are trying to reduce the dependence on the fleeting nature of the Irish backpacking community, and involve Australian kids in GAA from a young age.

My third acquaintance: an Irish tradesman living in Brisbane, working full time in the air-conditioning and refrigerating industry. When cyclone Yasi hit Queensland in February he decided to set up his own ‘mud army’ and go from door to door to help with the clean-up and use his expertise wherever possible. Thousands registered with Brisbane council to help the worst hit areas, and this Irish tradesman says that many of these were young Irish people who saw the damage on TV and wanted to do their part.

When asked about the typical Irish stereotype in Australia he says: ‘I have heard some things about the backpackers but its a lot worse in certain areas of Australia I think. I don’t think police or locals have much time for them down at Bondi or other party areas where there’s alcohol involved.’

Yes. The Irish baby boomers in Australia like to drink. They like to make merry because they have something to celebrate. They have left a country that promised them everything but left them with nothing. They have left a country where white-collar crime remains unscathed while unemployment soars above 14%.

1,000 people are expected to leave Ireland every week in 2011. This is a huge problem, which will have inconceivable repercussions for the future of our aging nation. So while we continue to publicly decry our own for their ostensible debauchery in Australia, maybe we should think again. It is the minority who warrant this typecast. The majority are an assiduous and admirable bunch and we should think before we begin to vilify and alienate them. This is the generation that we should want to come home. This is the generation that will have the resources and experience to lead Ireland and restore any archaic ideals that we are in fact a nation to be taken seriously. And we are not a nation who turns its back on its own.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/2011/12/15/is-australia-tainted-by-the-irish/

Over time in the last few years, I have to sadly admit, I've read more and more countless articles on the troublemaking of Irish people abroad.
    This saddens me greatly.
    We used to be welcomed everywhere.
    I'd hate this to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Banned from his hostel

But he won't be banning the Irish from his pub, that's for sure!

He wants his cash register full but just doesn't want of the mess afterwards

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Banned from his hostel

Who would ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Slagging off the Irish while two of his teenage kids still live here.

Doubt very much that the 40 Koreans(can you say cheap labour?) he hired last week are legal.

Smart man.

:pac:

Biggins wrote: »

3 people two of which were professionals and all of which were volunteers to some degree is hardly a good indication of 300,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Damn those Koreans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

LordSmeg wrote: »
    3 people two of which were professionals and all of which were volunteers to some degree is hardly a good indication of 300,000 people.

Sadly just one more incident though which gives a lot of innocent others, a bad rep without real justification.
    That's the concern.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Its his business I assume he has a right to refuse entry to whoever he wants and he's of the opinion that an Irish person is more likely to cause damage to his property given his experiences.

And yet itinerants regularly wins cases and compensation against pubs in Ireland for being refused service boss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Banned from his hostel

Good point!

If they were getting drunk where were they getting the alcohol? Most likely in the "Irish Bar" adjacent to the hostel.

And yet itinerants regularly wins cases and compensation against pubs in Ireland for being refused service boss

It aint me giving them compensation.

We should send him over a few itinerants for his Hostel and see how he likes them apples!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Dr.Strange wrote: »
    We should send him over a few itinerants for his Hostel and see how he likes them apples!

They would probably be better behaved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

He makes a good point regarding the boat people ( a big topic of debate here in Australia now). These people from the likes of Sri Lanka and Afghanistan are literally putting their own and their families lives on the line to try and make a new life for themselves in Australia.

Yet, we have the Celtic Tiger cubs going over to OZ and pissing the opportunity away in a pub or a hostel. It will catch up to them as they will have to leave and go home to nothing and become a depressed, amoral, empty shell of a human being.

Not all WHV people are like that but you can tell the difference straight away. Those that come here to work and make a go of it, you can tell by just looking at them. The rest when sober wont even look you in the eye, such is their insecurity of being in the big bad world, they need a lift in spirits, they go to the pub and drink cheap beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

We should be outraged by this.

If Ozland throws them all out they are going to end up back here.

I'd say most of them went over there to continue the life they got used to during the boom and that's all they are there for. It will be a shock for a lot of them coming back here to misery and butter vouchers after getting used to drinking 200 quid every weekend again.

The hard working people looking to build a life are the ones in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sounds like he has a point. Not racist at all if he's going on past expereinces. Why should he be forced to host, pay for and clean up after troublemankers?
    Banned from his hostel

Good point!

If they were getting drunk where were they getting the alcohol? Most likely in the "Irish Bar" adjacent to the hostel.

The problem is that the cash register is very quickly empty again when he was to refurnish the place and his insurance premiums go up because if he has to make claims.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Think back to school. What did the wasters in your year do after the Leaving (if they even sat it).

Now, since there's no longer any need for that many brickies, labourers or "assistant manager of Daddy's development company" etc. they've all gone to Australia. Where they've continued to be wasters.

Not by any means saying that all the poor lads who lost their jobs in the downturn of the construction sector were scumbags, and I've friends amongst their numbers, but it certainly attracted a lot of the work-shy tossers when I was leaving school.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Can't really blame him if the Irish people he has had have destroyed the place and scared his family!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Ah, hold the fcuk on here. There's nothing racist about it at all. The owner has clearly given Irish backpackers a chance and realised that they're taking the pi$$ out of him. By the time I was leaving San Diego (J1) I was almost embarrassed to be associated with Irish students, given the cnutish, loutish behaviour of the majority of my compatriots. By the sounds of it, Irish people are knocking around Australia, treating the country like a chavs' holiday camp. Backpacking's not an excuse to act the bo11ocks in someone else's country. The fact that the owner is Irish probably means that he's shown more tolerance - and taken a lot more $hit - than most would have, yet he's still obliged to take these radical steps.

Here's an idea - instead of lambasting the patron of this hostel, how about we all contact people we know in Australia and petition them to stop acting like stereotypical children of the Celtic Tiger and destroying our reputation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

sounds like he is running a korean slave farm
    Yeah, good one. Sounds to me like a lot of tossers are giving the Irish a bad name abroad and that the Koreans are better workers. But good choice of what to take from the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

IrishAm wrote: »
    Slagging off the Irish while two of his teenage kids still live here.

Doubt very much that the 40 Koreans(can you say cheap labour?) he hired last week are legal.

Smart man.

:pac:

Do you have evidence they are not? Irish on the other hand...

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Increasing-number-of-Irish-working-illegally-in-Australia-123708654.html

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

Seriously are people saying that every one that travels to Oz is a waster or scum , go fk yer self's ye stuck up mommy's boys .(never been in oz)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Nothing new here, around 1990 it was nigh on impossible for an Irish person to get a job in BMW in Munich as the ones they employed were so bad at the job, sometimes boasting of sabotaging cars when they were back in Thalkirchen campsite, huge absenteeism and loads of other problems. They thought they were the bees knees, bunch of wanna be hard men but all they did was screw it up for the future.

Holland was no different, time was when you could get OK work picking tulips or working in the market gardens but the Irish screwed it up and seemed to be proud doing it as well.

Problem is a small pile of spoilt fcuktards tend to wreck it for the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Speaking as someone who is planning to go to Australia later on this year ( I actually have wanted to go for a damn long time even before the recession, mind you! ) I find the behavior of the scumbags I've being hearing about appalling. I tend to agree with the owner here but at the same time, wonder if this will start a bandwagon, that I'd get associated with because I am Irish.

I've personally blacklisted staying in Bondi Beach in Sydney and Northbridge in Perth because of the horror stories about unruly Irish I've heard about. I don't want to associate with those types of people, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Seriously are people saying that every one that travels to Oz is a waster or scum , go fk yer self's ye stuck up mommy's boys .(never been in oz)
    My Mammy says it's rude to use bad language and I should not read any more of the sh1te you post.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

The Irish who behave like that are the same ones that would be found every Friday or Saturday night wrecking any town/city in Ireland.
    Its a pity that its happening but they have simply brought their way of life with them
    Also in the mix I think there are probably people who wouldn't behave this way at home but because they are thousands of miles from their own country they think it will never catch up with them.It will when the Oz cops have enough and start cancelling their visas and shipping them home.
    The cops in Perth have written to the GAA clubs in the area and asked them to spread the word in the Irish communities that they are going to take a zero tolerance attitude towards behaviour like this.
    It was actually cops who are ex-pats though that were hoping that the clubs might get through to people that this sort of behaviour is not acceptable from any nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Sounds about right, any lad I know who went over to `look for work` had no intention of doing so just to act the bollox. Feel sorry for their parents who believe their children are brave and travelling to far side of the world to look for work. The big going away parties that was thrown for them too, its a joke- absolute wasters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Racism or good business ?

So in that case, I presume the president of Portmarnock Golf Club has a right to refuse enter to whoever he wants and if he's of the opinion that a woman golfer is more likely to cause damage to the greens given his experiences, he's perfectly entitled to a men-only golf club?

Prejudging every Irish person on the basis of their being Irish is precisely the definition of racism! (Using it in the UN sense, before anyone starts getting picking about Irish people being Caucasian :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

How long before the visas dry up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

IrishAm wrote: »

South Korea is not a poor country. Their wages are quite high and they actually have a proper economy which produces things, e.g. Samsung, Hyundai, LG, KIA, Lotte, etc.

I've been to Korea. It's nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Ah yes these great young brave guys who were soo let down by their own country had to find work in foreign countries. These guys wouldnt work in a fit. It was always the well known guys that left, unfortunately they were well known for wrong reasons. Yeah you know the ones racing each other in their cars with drink on them, crashing through your parents front wall, arrive an hour later with a jeep to pull they evidence out promise to fix it next thing you hear they are gone to Australia.

Good fcuking riddance if you ask me, Scum with money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The hostel owner could have put it better but I can understand where he was coming from. I dont think the way to handle it is to say no Irish but It shows the type of Irish that are going to oz. Im not saying that every Irish person that goes to oz is a a-hole but some of the biggest grassholes I know went to oz and wrecked the place.

A lot of them are the same celtic tiger cubs who landed high paid construction jobs over, put in no effort and bragged about the amount of money they were geting. Austrailia by all accounts is a very welcoming country (never been myself but plan too) so its a shame that the few wreck it for the majority. He could of taken credit card details and deposits of irish guys instead of saying no Irish though.

Feathers wrote: »
    So in that case, I presume the president of Portmarnock Golf Club has a right to refuse enter to whoever he wants and if he's of the opinion that a woman golfer is more likely to cause damage to the greens given his experiences, he's perfectly entitled to a men-only golf club?

Prejudging every Irish person on the basis of their being Irish is precisely the definition of racism! (Using it in the UN sense, before anyone starts getting picking about Irish people being Caucasian :p)

If he owns the golf course and admittance is at his leisure (or whatever way its worded) then yeah. Every business should have the right to deny anyone entry if they think that person likely to be detrimental to the business and other customers. You cant treat all groups the same when one group is costing you money.

Its not racist as such I dont think, its changing your target market to benefit the business. He is not saying no Irish because he hates Irish people he's saying it because Irish people are the ones doing the damage and he's trying to protect his business. He's viewing it as statistics, most of the damage is done by Irish people, local farms dont want Irish workers, so it makes zero sense to keep accepting Irish people who will cost him money when he could be making money by only taking those the farms want to hire who will stay in the area longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Irish people like to delude themselves into thinking that '' sure doesn't everyone love the Irish ? ''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

i worked in a hostel, if a foreigner got sick or even spilt something they went looking for a mop or came up to apologise. the Irish on the other hand would vomit on the bed, piss or **** in the corner and say nothing. friends of mine run b and Bs and this seems to happen a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The hostel owner could have put it better but I can understand where he was coming from. I dont think the way to handle it is to say no Irish but It shows the type of Irish that are going to oz. Im not saying that every Irish person that goes to oz is a a-hole but some of the biggest grassholes I know went to oz and wrecked the place.

A lot of them are the same celtic tiger cubs who landed high paid construction jobs over, put in no effort and bragged about the amount of money they were geting. Austrailia by all accounts is a very welcoming country (never been myself but plan too) so its a shame that the few wreck it for the majority. He could of taken credit card details and deposits of irish guys instead of saying no Irish though.

I know the Irish in Munich were notorious for renting a flat and wrecking the place. not all of them behave like this but the minority causing the hassle need to cop on to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

there most be some disgraceful irish people going to oz

• Advertisement
Advertisement