Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hostel in Oz bans all Irish from staying there

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I don't actually blame the guy.

I lived in Oz for a few years, and there are parts of the country, especially around Perth and Sydney, where I was actually embarrassed to admit I was Irish.

We like to make jokes about the English causing hassle when they go on holiday to Spain and places, but the Irish can act so much worse around Australia. It's as if they arrive in Oz and suddenly decide the rules no longer apply.

That's not to say everyone who goes there acts like that, but it is a disturbingly large amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

god we'll never shake of the drunken eijit tag will we.better have em over there though than sponging of the tax payer over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

From the point of view of someone who is young, Irish, travel-inclined, and not an asshole, it's gob****es like these, or the ones that go off to San Diego and the likes for the summer who ruin it for the rest of us, or, in my case, makes me hesitant to travel/live abroad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

is it the lads on j1s or the lads working that are the problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

The clowns I know who went to Oz were dole heads (the kind that did not want to work) for several years, alcoholics, etc.

Oz can have them. It's a penal colony after all.

[-0-] wrote: »
    The clowns I know who went to Oz were dole heads (the kind that did not want to work) for several years, alcoholics, etc.

Oz can have them. It's a penal colony after all.

Not really.

I lived there back from the late 90's to 2002 and they had the exact same attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What is it about Australia that entices so many scumbuckets to visit? There's just as many more Irish people living in the US, and other places right now and you never hear of them being banned wholesale by establishments.

The place is a xenophobic shitheap. Look at the outrage that happened here over taxi drivers displaying a green light on their car. Many of the people that took offense to that are here defending the people disallowing Irish people in general from entering their premises. You should all fcuk off to Australia imo. You'll pick up some alternatives to the self hatred you currently experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

''Is Australia tainted by the Irish?
    Thursday, December 15th, 2011 at 1:00 pm

The Irish baby boomers in Australia like to make merry because they have something to celebrate, having left a country that promised them everything but left them with nothing. But do they deserve their loutish reputation, asks Shaunagh Connaire.

There is an estimated 300,000 Irish living in Australia and a few months ago I travelled there to visit the manifold emigrants of Generation Y, better known as my siblings and friends. Admittedly, I entered the country with many pre-conceived prejudices about the Irish backpacker lifestyle Down Under. Quite frankly, I did not want to meet this ill mannered and oafish plague, whose panache for drinking ‘Goon’ in the company of their county colour comrades have prompted many to shun the Australian visa, even in these difficult times. Remarkably though, after four weeks of Sydney, Gold Coast and Perth bliss, I seem to have eschewed this stereotype.

This is what I did observe. The untold story if you will.

My first acquaintance was with an Irish engineer in her twenties, based in Sydney and working full time in the medical industry. Every Wednesday evening she volunteers for ‘Active After School Community’ (AASC), an Australian government-led initiative. This programme provides disadvantaged children with the opportunity to participate in sport after school in an effort to reduce future health costs, by preventing children from requiring treatment for obesity.

When probed about the typical Irish stereotype down under, she says: ‘There is no doubt that the Irish, including myself, enjoy a few drinks over here but being verbally attacked constantly by our own national media is becoming tedious, not to mention unoriginal. I pay Australian taxes like most other Irish people here and I try to give back to the community when I can. It’s just a shame that the minority always catch the attention of the press and we all get pigeonholed in the process.’

Another Irish engineer, early thirties, spends his weekends teaching Aussies between the ages of 6-12 Gaelic football. Along with other Irish volunteers, he helps to organize kids’ tournaments between AFL teams and newly formed GAA teams in order to promote the Irish sport Down Under. In a bid to make the sport more sustainable in Australia, this group of volunteers are trying to reduce the dependence on the fleeting nature of the Irish backpacking community, and involve Australian kids in GAA from a young age.

My third acquaintance: an Irish tradesman living in Brisbane, working full time in the air-conditioning and refrigerating industry. When cyclone Yasi hit Queensland in February he decided to set up his own ‘mud army’ and go from door to door to help with the clean-up and use his expertise wherever possible. Thousands registered with Brisbane council to help the worst hit areas, and this Irish tradesman says that many of these were young Irish people who saw the damage on TV and wanted to do their part.

When asked about the typical Irish stereotype in Australia he says: ‘I have heard some things about the backpackers but its a lot worse in certain areas of Australia I think. I don’t think police or locals have much time for them down at Bondi or other party areas where there’s alcohol involved.’

Yes. The Irish baby boomers in Australia like to drink. They like to make merry because they have something to celebrate. They have left a country that promised them everything but left them with nothing. They have left a country where white-collar crime remains unscathed while unemployment soars above 14%.

1,000 people are expected to leave Ireland every week in 2011. This is a huge problem, which will have inconceivable repercussions for the future of our aging nation. So while we continue to publicly decry our own for their ostensible debauchery in Australia, maybe we should think again. It is the minority who warrant this typecast. The majority are an assiduous and admirable bunch and we should think before we begin to vilify and alienate them. This is the generation that we should want to come home. This is the generation that will have the resources and experience to lead Ireland and restore any archaic ideals that we are in fact a nation to be taken seriously. And we are not a nation who turns its back on its own. ''

I agree with the sentiments,of what we are facing and the pickle/predicament we are all in because of the fact we decided to pay the banks back in 07/08,(which i think was our first big mistake amongst many others),there are people who have committed white collar crime and have gotten away with a lot.If it was the USA (remember the enron scandal?)it would have been quite different,the justice system there would have thrown the book at them.
    No job creation has been made,theres only FAS or JOBBRIDGE,and they hog up what could have been a paid job advertised,there job blockers,weve all this to face if we decide to stay in our own country.
    I have thought about emigration myself at one stage,its one of the hardest decisions a native can make to leave their country with generations of history.

But all that aside i think if he wants to ban irish people and their custom,because of a few incidents thats his business,hes quite entitled to,there are a lot of holiday makers who go out of their way to cause trouble,and its an unfortunate situation.But hes running a business,all the extra cost of having to sort out things after a few chairs are thrown or windows broken or whatever is no picnic,on top of the usual strains of running a business..

• IrishAm wrote: »
    Slagging off the Irish while two of his teenage kids still live here.

Doubt very much that the 40 Koreans(can you say cheap labour?) he hired last week are legal.

Smart man.

:pac:

That's embarrassingly ignorant. South Korea is a wealthy, developed country. Doing much better than Ireland.

I totally see where this guy is coming from. The majority of Irish people I ever meet abroad are just constantly on the piss. They think they have a God-given right to drink every night, behave however they like and turn up to work hungover and do a terrible job. Not all of them, but a significant majority. I've spent a lot of time convincing employers and landlords that I'm not like that. There is a MASSIVE sense of entitlement left over from the Celtic Tiger times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

My friend lives in the outback in Australia and says the Ozzies there are lunatics for their drink and drugs and not just the youngsters. She was a bit of a party girl here but she says she'd die if she tried to keep up with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Crea wrote: »
    My friend lives in the outback in Australia and says the Ozzies there are lunatics for their drink and drugs and not just the youngsters. She was a bit of a party girl here but she says she'd die if she tried to keep up with them.

Totally agreed, I visited Kalgoorlie in 2010 and it was like stepping back in time to the wild west; plenty Irish there too and they were fitting right in. :D Australia as a nation is built on the Irish who always caused a bit of rucus so it is really just continuing the tradition of Irish emigration to Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

prinz wrote: »
    ...all the while trying to convince ourselves that everybody thinks we're great.

Well, everyone does think I'M great. I'm different, you know.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

a proper economy which produces things

Didn't we use to have one of those?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

what the fuq did we ever produce ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

anhedonia wrote: »
    what the fuq did we ever produce ?

Beef, dairy products, sh*tloads of alcohol and apparently a lot of maggot gobsh*tes intent on acting the gowl so far away from home that their parents can't tut at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It was always going to happen when you see some of the people going. It's nothing new either.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

He right to ban them they're bad business and he's trying to make a livin'. Now you understand where the 'no irish' sign originated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I feel sorry for the Irish people going over there to try to make a living, having to put up with these idiots coming over, getting total plastered and doing not much more and giving the hardworking Irish people over there a bad press as they're all lumped together. The sterotype of the drunk Irishman/woman is nothing to be proud of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

a proper economy which produces things

Not really. At least no where near the scale of Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Listen do you wan't to be 'Punch Magazine' apes??? Drunken troublesome creatures?? I've been around this planet and the feedback I've gotten is negative at best, we're not loved at all so get over over it. Try and be by a productive citizen in whatever you do and drop the inferiority complex to the rest of the world, they won't always be there to patronise you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

:D:D

Gotta laugh at some of the stupid ignorant comments against the Koreans here, what do you think Korea is? A third world country or something. Same ones spouting on about Australia, any of you ever even been outside Ireland?

I live and work in Korea, brand new cars (Kia, Hyundai, Audi, BMW) all over the roads, construction, business, manufacturing and technology are all booming here. The pace of this country is unrelentless and it all comes with an unemployment rate of 3-4%.

As for Koreans working farm jobs in Australia. Korea has a Working Holiday Visa scheme same as Ireland. These are all kids in their early 20's, their first chance to travel after university. Many have just finished degrees in fields of business, technolgy, engineering etc and speak english.

Hope you all learnt something about Korea now. :pac:

True, cars, ships, chemicals, oil refining, all the high end stuff is manufactured in Korea.

Korean companies such as LG, Samsung etc outsource much of their manucturing to China as it is cheaper, similar to the Americans, ie Apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

:D:D

Gotta laugh at some of the stupid ignorant comments against the Koreans here, what do you think Korea is? A third world country or something. Same ones spouting on about Australia, any of you ever even been outside Ireland?

I live and work in Korea, brand new cars (Kia, Hyundai, Audi, BMW) all over the roads, construction, business, manufacturing and technology are all booming here. The pace of this country is unrelentless and it all comes with an unemployment rate of 3-4%.

As for Koreans working farm jobs in Australia. Korea has a Working Holiday Visa scheme same as Ireland. These are all kids in their early 20's, their first chance to travel after university. Many have just finished degrees in fields of business, technolgy, engineering etc and speak english.

Hope you all learnt something about Korea now. :pac:

Have you ever been over the border? What is the criteria for doing so? Myself and an acqaintance want to make a documentary on the DPRK. We want to approach our work from a neutral side, unlike so many others who scream injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

By the sound of it, Ireland is a lot better off without his kind of exploitative racist.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm a bit surprised, though, that anyone with a public house licence can impose a blanket ban on any nationality or ethnic group. If it is possible in Australia, the country seriously needs to look at its equality legislation and try to bring it up to our/EU standard. I wonder would he get away with it if he had an unpleasant experience or two with Jews, Black people ---? :D:D

Some Australians can likewise be loud and rowdy, hold their drink badly and have wrecked the odd pub in their day, but that would hardly justify an Irish pub putting up a sign that said "No Australians".:eek:

Going by some of the comments here, I'd recommend visiting Korea (South, of course, because you can't get into the North) to see what a modern, prosperous country with awesome infrastructure looks like.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    By the sound of it, Ireland is a lot better off without his kind of exploitative racist.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm a bit surprised, though, that anyone with a public house licence can impose a blanket ban on any nationality or ethnic group. If it is possible in Australia, the country seriously needs to look at its equality legislation and try to bring it up to our/EU standard. I wonder would he get away with it if he had an unpleasant experience or two with Jews, Black people ---? :D:D

Some Australians can likewise be loud and rowdy, hold their drink badly and have wrecked the odd pub in their day, but that would hardly justify an Irish pub putting up a sign that said "No Australians".:eek:

Going by some of the comments here, I'd recommend visiting Korea (South, of course, because you can't get into the North) to see what a modern, prosperous country with awesome infrastructure looks like.:)

There are a few a lot closer to home.

Anywho, it's not racist, it's merely policy and he can't be forced to accept people he doesn't want to let in. Even if he was and said no black people, racism isn't actually a crime unless he's employing.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Have you ever been over the border? What is the criteria for doing so? Myself and an acqaintance want to make a documentary on the DPRK. We want to approach our work from a neutral side, unlike so many others who scream injustice.

Are you having a laugh? :D

F that man. The DMZ is the most militarised zone in the world. You can't just wander on over for a day tour. You can't even approach the North from the South. :D

You'd have a better chance of getting to Pyongyang from Dublin then you would from Seoul which is 150 miles away. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jack Daniels I

Good luck with that!

Clueless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Delancey wrote: »
    Irish people like to delude themselves into thinking that '' sure doesn't everyone love the Irish ? ''

yep, gives some irish the green light in their heads to do carte blanche when abroad........and the whole euros *best fans in the world* will only add to it i'm afraid:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Crea wrote: »

The article fails to point out that alot of hostels have a No Australians policy. I saw at let three occasions in a hostel were the police had to be called because of Aussie guests getting out of hand (usually fcukwits down in the city for a concert or a big rugby match).

For all those going on about Irish only drinking with other Irish in Irish bars you should realise that most local suburban Aussie bars are souless dumps. Massive in floor space with absoloutely sod all people under 60 drinking in them, most of whom are badly addicted to the fruit machines which infest most Aussie bars. No pints available, only schooners (a smaller beer glass). Most of them only have Australian tap beers available. Aussie beer ranges from merely drinkable to god awful. As for going in and having a quiet drink with a few mates, upon hearing your accent some drunk oul lads will come up to you and reckon you want to hear a 20 minute yarn about some Irish fella he knew back in the 50s. Very few of them have any live bands playing.

With all of that WTF would anyone drink in an Australian bar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Have to have a laugh.

I wouldn't exactly class these people as scum, in fact the majority are more or less exactly like most of the people on here.... no better nor worse. They just have an opportunity to get away from home and escape the recession, their major issue is they just grew up in the Tiger and now they think the world owes them. That doesn't make them scum, I class scum as muggers, housebreakers, rapists etc.

But the way some of these Tiger cubs get on you would think that having an Irish passport entitled them to some sort of special category where they can just come into someone else country and do what they want, almost think they are sort of untouchable and that Australia should be throwing out the red carpet for them. Then they come on posting in the Aus & NZ forum that they don't like this and they don't like that and they cant get a job, all the usual rubbish. The majority will be home after a year or 2 when their visa runs out.

I wouldn't say it gives us Irish who have been living in Oz a bad name, we already have established ourselves well enough for the mud not to stick. Although some clown did rub me up the wrong way a few weeks ago and being illegal was a big mistake on his behalf, hope he is enjoying the dole queue back in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Yes, because Europe is the bastion of equality? Give me a frigging break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I think an employer has the right to discriminate against who he/she chooses to serve or do business with (regardless of what reason) in the same way a customer has the choice of what products and services he/she wishes to purchase. I know that equality laws states otherwise though, but in my personal opinion equal rights should not go beyond property rights and equality of authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Priori

I don't get the impression the farmer is an "exploitative racist" - seems like he and his family felt genuinely in danger. Arson, alleged or not, is something most people would go to great lengths to protect themselves against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭Patrick Cleburne

Well done to him for standing up for his business and not letting these thugs destroy his business and his reputation.

It is possible to go to North Korea. I went two months ago. The visa takes a day to process.

Obviously it is no where near as modern, etc. as South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BabyMonkeyy

What the hell?? Yes there are a small minority of Irish people acting like idiots over here and getting into trouble without a doubt but its not as bad as its made out to be. The reason its making the news is because the Aussies are kinda racist and to be honest there stuck up ****e holes who couldn't give a ****e about anyone else only themselves and wouldn't know how to have fun if it bit them on the ass. If your anyway noisy, even a small bit, they will go mental. and all these people on here giving out about people they know who are scumbags etc etc coming over here wasting there life? were not all scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A load of the skangers that used to hang around my estate are over there now. All these lower rent people have "going away parties" to pay for their trips. Australia is too accessible now a days. Its turned into a massive southern hemisphere version of Santa Ponsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The reason its making the news is because the Aussies are kinda racist and to be honest there stuck up ****e holes who couldn't give a ****e about anyone else only themselves and wouldn't know how to have fun if it bit them on the ass. If your anyway noisy, even a small bit, they will go mental.

:rolleyes: aussies boring?? come on now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

There are a few a lot closer to home.

Anywho, it's not racist, it's merely policy and he can't be forced to accept people he doesn't want to let in. Even if he was and said no black people, racism isn't actually a crime unless he's employing.

Nonsense. Travellers here can claim discrimination if barred from a pub, as a group. So can any other ethnic group.

If this muppet emigrated back to Ireland and banned Australians he would be sued out of existence.

Back to the casual racism of the thread. As an Irishman who has lived in the US and the UK all Irish people I have worked with have been harder working and smarter, on average, than the natives.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In the 90's and 00's Ireland was manufacturing most of the computers in Europe and further. Most silicon valley companies had a presence her.
    The Pharmaceutical sector was huge.

korea benefited hugely from Cold War politics. Biggest difference is Korean have their own manufacturers whereas Ireland has always relied on direct investment. Not really a fair comparison between the 2 as their is a huge difference in populations. Would be better comparing Korea and Germany

South Korea obviously
    jank wrote: »
    Yes, because Europe is the bastion of equality? Give me a frigging break!

It's better than most places in the world
    If this muppet emigrated back to Ireland and banned Australians he would be sued out of existence.

It is not illegal to discriminate against Australians. It is illegal to discriminate against travellers or because of ethnic origin.

fryup wrote: »
    Delancey wrote: »
    Irish people like to delude themselves into thinking that '' sure doesn't everyone love the Irish ? ''

yep, gives some irish the green light in their heads to do carte blanche when abroad........and the whole euros *best fans in the world* will only add to it i'm afraid:o

Wait now, those fans weren't violent and were loved, so how does that fit into the casual racism of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

there most be some disgraceful irish people going to oz

come to think of it, I worked in an Irish hotel and stags or groups of lads in general were a bit of a handful. the state of the rooms after they left was something else, not to mention the trouble they caused at night. they believed cos they paid for the room they had some kind of right to behave like animals.

Not really a fair comparison between the 2 as their is a huge difference in populations.

I agree we shouldn't compare SK with Ireland.

I was only defending SK as some people here seem to think they're some kind of third world country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nonsense. Travellers here can claim discrimination if barred from a pub, as a group. So can any other ethnic group.

Back to the casual racism of the thread. As an Irishman who has lived in the US and the UK all Irish people I have worked with have been harder working and smarter, on average, than the natives.

As someone else said, there's a difference between discrination based on nationality and out and out racism.

My expereinces have been similar to yours, but then I've also had to tell a few Irish people to cop on in hostels when trying to sleep at 4am. I've also had to tell a coupe of Bristish guys. The Irish told me to **** off and sang even louder, the Brits apologised and quieted down. Strange.

That said, I'm not the one who has to clean uo in the morning.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

fryup wrote: »

Why are the football fans being dragged into it? They did no harm at all and by all accounts had a great time and caused no trouble

• Advertisement

It is not illegal to discriminate against Australians. It is illegal to discriminate against travellers or because of ethnic origin.

Ok, Poles. ( although I doubt the courts would be happy with discrimination against Australians and not Poles)

I'm baffled by the ignorance in this thread.

The notion that these 40 Koreans are some form of illegals or cheap labour is just baffling. It's such a stupid thing to fall back on that basically comes down to;
    "Oh, they hate the Irish for no reason, and they just want to hire these people because it will save them money."

Well, I'm sorry to say that's complete crap. The Irish backpackers are known throughout Oz for being arseholes, causing hassle, getting drunk and not showing up to work. Maybe not all of them do it, but it's a sad truth that for the last 20 years, far too many of them have.

From my own experiences, the Aussies are fine with us on a personal level, hanging out and drinking, but when it comes to hiring people, they prefer to look for other people because of how so many Irish people have behaved.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I'm baffled by the ignorance in this thread.

The notion that these 40 Koreans are some form of illegals or cheap labour is just baffling. It's such a stupid thing to fall back on that basically comes down to;
    "Oh, they hate the Irish for no reason, and they just want to hire these people because it will save them money."

Well, I'm sorry to say that's complete crap. The Irish backpackers are known throughout Oz for being arseholes, causing hassle, getting drunk and not showing up to work. Maybe not all of them do it, but it's a sad truth that for the last 20 years, far too many of them have.

From my own experiences, the Aussies are fine with us on a personal level, hanging out and drinking, but when it comes to hiring people, they prefer to look for other people because of how so many Irish people have behaved.

Its funny on a thread about discrimination against an ethnic group - the Irish - that that is getting a lot of support, but a minor side topic about Koreans where somebody got the income of Koreans wrong and the same people go ballistic. Thats a side topic.

By the way, the term racism does apply to ethnic, or even national discrimination.

Its also interesting that the Irish in Australia are ok with it. Its like "Im ok me, but there are bad Irish backpackers". If you accept that this guy can discriminate against the Irish, then so can your local bar, your local shop, your place of work. Against you. You being Irish.

But it's not racism.

The guy who owns the place is from Dublin. I am from Cork. I lived in Australia for years and I saw the behaviour for myself. Bondi Beach in Sydney get's destroyed by predominately Irish groups every year.

The only real problem I ever came across with Korean groups was that they are far more insular and the older generations will often not learn English (which is just stupid when you live in an English speaking country). But, they actually show up for work sober and don't have the terrible rep the Irish have gotten.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    But it's not racism.

The guy who owns the place is from Dublin. I am from Cork.

It doesn't matter where he is from. The point you and other "good" immigrants seem to be missing is this, if the law allows this guy to discriminate based on nationality, you would be next. If someone can ban a nationality from a hostel, then some other business can ban a nationality from getting a credit card, or entering a shop, or getting into a restaurant, or getting on a train.

Some day nice quiet Sonics2K is back in Australia, to live, and is banned from most places because, although he has no record of trouble, other people of his nationality do. Thats ludicrous.

• Advertisement
Advertisement