Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hostel in Oz bans all Irish from staying there

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Feathers wrote: »
    Well, in day-to-day language, the term racism is generally accepted as a catch-all for these (I guess we can probably do without ethnicism & 'nationalism' would just be confusing :p).
    Oh sure F, though it can get on my tits and not just from pedantry. Too often the racist card is played by some groups as a defence to deflect real issues that may be in play. IMHO calling this bloke a racist because he's reticent to give board to a group of people that have caused more trouble than other groups of people is daft. Even more daft when he is of the same "race".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Fine bunch of chaps the irish, when they're in Dublin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056685520

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh sure F, though it can get on my tits and not just from pedantry. Too often the racist card is played by some groups as a defence to deflect real issues that may be in play. IMHO calling this bloke a racist because he's reticent to give board to a group of people that have caused more trouble than other groups of people is daft. Even more daft when he is of the same "race".

I don't know if I'd agree, as TBH it's the same issue — discriminaton. Surely when people are pushing for equality, the grounds for which people are being discriminated against isn't the important bit, it's the fact that they're getting discriminated against in the first place. In every scenario this happens, we should be looking to stamp it out.

It's like saying racism is wrong but sexism is OK. Seems strange that someone could find one acceptable but not the other. If nationality is something that people are discriminated against for, then I'd say whether or not it's called racism is irrelevant — it's something that people should be protected against.

That said, there's obviously more factors at play. As someone said with Spanish exchange students in Supermacs — I might be inclined to bar them all if they all came in as a group & were acting up. It's not like I'm going to start trying to pick out the 'trouble makers' in a group of 20 or 30.

But surely that's not the same as having a sign up saying 'No Spanish'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The Irish are creating trouble at this Hostel. They should not be allowed to create trouble. If they want to create trouble, they should go home and leave the business this guy owns alone.
    We gathered that. It's just that some of us are thinking about the wider implications, in that it could affect some of "the Irish" who aren't interested in causing trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

People go to a hostel to get somewhere to stay. Saying someone's not barred from using the hostel because you'll let them stand in the lobby is just splitting hairs over which terminology you're putting on it. He's refusing to do business with them.

You used the term barred not me and said it was applied to all Irish people and called that racist. From the article in the OP it seems to me he is preferring to do business with others rather than refusing to do business with Irish people.
    But the point is the only difference between a young Irish backpacker and a young French backpacker is nationality — if one person is allowed to stay & the other is not, that's racism!

Discrimination is making a distinction between two things or groups. When it's a distinction based on race or ethnicity, it's generally called racism. The UN defines it like this:

Wibbs cleared that up so no need for me to go over it again.
    As I said, if you want to argue that racism is justified in this case, that's a different point.

Not racism, discrimination.
    Oh, you mean the situation where it's justifiable to give young women cheaper insurance because they're less likely to claim?

The one that was ruled to be sexism by the EU a year ago? Thanks for backing up my point :)

What point ? There are some insurers that only cover women. Yes its sexist and yes its discriminatory but its not illegal. When getting insurance your classed a s group and charged based on that, depending on the car, where you live, age etc etc. Your risk factor is prejudged based on all those things because what others in your area, of your age group have done before you. Discrimination happens all the time in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Ah, hold the fcuk on here. There's nothing racist about it at all. The owner has clearly given Irish backpackers a chance and realised that they're taking the pi$$ out of him. By the time I was leaving San Diego (J1) I was almost embarrassed to be associated with Irish students, given the cnutish, loutish behaviour of the majority of my compatriots. By the sounds of it, Irish people are knocking around Australia, treating the country like a chavs' holiday camp. Backpacking's not an excuse to act the bo11ocks in someone else's country. The fact that the owner is Irish probably means that he's shown more tolerance - and taken a lot more $hit - than most would have, yet he's still obliged to take these radical steps.

Here's an idea - instead of lambasting the patron of this hostel, how about we all contact people we know in Australia and petition them to stop acting like stereotypical children of the Celtic Tiger and destroying our reputation?

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ChubbyHubby

Are people are just unhappy with the phrasing of the ban and the use of the Irish when the owner spoke out about it? It's probably not a written policy and if it is it could easily be: "Your business is not welcome if you are identified as someone as work shy, drinks to excess regularly and has a tendency to disrespect other people's properties." He's not racist. This is not racist. This is not going to lead to racism in every other business. He's discriminating against people who act like idiots and identified them as irish backpackers in some interview.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You used the term barred not me and said it was applied to all Irish people and called that racist. From the article in the OP it seems to me he is preferring to do business with others rather than refusing to do business with Irish people.

Which is why I'm saying that you're splitting hairs. Call it what you like — he's refusing to do business with them.

Wibbs cleared that up so no need for me to go over it again.

Not racism, discrimination.

Fine. I didn't realise that you were basing your argument on this distinction, as you had said "racism or good business?" in your opening post.

What point ? There are some insurers that only cover women. Yes its sexist and yes its discriminatory but its not illegal. When getting insurance your classed a s group and charged based on that, depending on the car, where you live, age etc etc. Your risk factor is prejudged based on all those things because what others in your area, of your age group have done before you. Discrimination happens all the time in business.

That was my point, it is illegal. In the same way that men only golf clubs are illegal, and ethnic/cultural/racism/national/etc discriminaton is illegal, both here & in Australia.

Are people are just unhappy with the phrasing of the ban and the use of the Irish when the owner spoke out about it? It's probably not a written policy and if it is it could easily be: "Your business is not welcome if you are identified as someone as work shy, drinks to excess regularly and has a tendency to disrespect other people's properties." He's not racist. This is not racist. This is not going to lead to racism in every other business. He's discriminating against people who act like idiots and identified them as irish backpackers in some interview.

They happen to be working on a local farm, but he's just providing a hostel — there's no interview.
    “If Irish people ring up we say ‘Sorry, we’re full’.

That sounds 'racial discrimination' (as defined by Irish/EU/Australian/UN law) to me.

• Advertisement

They happen to be working on a local farm, but he's just providing a hostel — there's no interview.
    I am referring to the interview for the newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

One hopes the Australians don't inflict the horror of inserting little green lights in taxi cabs, on their immigrant community

I am referring to the interview for the newspaper.

Ah! :o Sorry. Well, he seems pretty clear about it from the bit I quoted. How can he know if they're trouble makers by their accent on the phone?

Ah! :o Sorry. Well, he seems pretty clear about it from the bit I quoted. How can he know if they're trouble makers by their accent on the phone?
    You're normally asked about your nationality when you are booking into a hostel down that part of the world.

Guy On Phone: can i have a bed for next monday please
    Owner: i need a name, address and nationality please
    Guy On Phone: paddy o'shea cork ireland
    Owner: let's see, I am afraid we're full next monday and will be for the rest of the year, thank you come again

You're normally asked about your nationality when you are booking into a hostel down that part of the world.

Guy On Phone: can i have a bed for next monday please
    Owner: i need a name, address and nationality please
    Guy On Phone: paddy o'shea cork ireland
    Owner: let's see, I am afraid we're full next monday and will be for the rest of the year, thank you come again

Yeah, didn't mean that he wouldn't know that they were Irish, more that that's all he'd know about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

People are far too worried about 'our reputation'. This kind of thing isn't being widely reported or even noticed in Australia, nor will it be. Most rational Australians won't judge Irish people on the people they see/hear about causing trouble. I don't judge the Aussies on the few I see fighting in Sydney CBD pretty much every single weekend.

The Irish media just like talking about it to bring a sensationalist 'Irish abroad are terrible' element to it. Somehow it becomes one of the most viewed articles on the Irish Times website when in reality people should probably be more worried about what's going on a bit closer to home. I guess it's a break from that 'doom and gloom news' too though, so maybe it makes sense that it grabs the attention. :D

As for the comment about not living at Bondi Beach, that's rubbish. All kinds of people live near Bondi Beach, it's more known for being home to hipsters/posers and ex-pats in general than Irish people.

"According to the 2006 census, there were 10,373 persons usually resident in Bondi Beach. Country of Birth of these residents was Australia 41.0%, followed by England 6.2%, New Zealand 3.8%, South Africa 1.9%, Ireland 1.3% and France 1.1%".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondi_Beach,_New_South_Wales

I would say the composition probably hasn't changed that much since to be honest. The simple fact is that if you want to avoid the "trashy Irish abroad" scene, you will - it's very very easy in a large city like Sydney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I agree with the opinion that the hostel owners actions are bad in the long run as it will affect innocent people. In general I think anything which affects innocent people is wrong.

But I can definitely understand his reasoning and why he felt he had no choice.

Perhaps a compromise could be asking for a deposit similar to what a hotel does, but I accept this may not work in the backpacking world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Wibbs wrote: »
    Access to drink is one diff compared to the past. When I was a kid back in the stone age, the only places you could get drink were pubs and off licences and there were a lot fewer of the latter about.

Plus, rather importantly, say back when my granny was a young woman in the 40s, women in general didn't go into to pubs and if they did they were shuttled off to the snug where they'd be lucky to get more than a few glasses of sherry or port.

I think the greatest rise in drinking in the last 50 years must be amongst women, though no doubt drinking in men has increased too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Just listening to Phantom at the moment and there's a guy on from Australia (well, he's actually Irish) that runs a hostel and has banned Irish people from his hostel.

He's cited a lot of them trashing the place, a few getting arrested. He says it's getting worse too.

I've been abroad quite a lot and have witnessed a lot of muppetry of Irish backpackers.

Only last year in Canada some muppet in a GAA jersey started a fight outside a pub (or tried to) and went on about how he was mates with lads in the IRA. :rolleyes:

Obviously not all Irish are like this, but how do you feel about this Irish guy in Oz banning Irish people from his hostel because of the trouble he's endured?

I understand how he feels, but I'm not sure how I myself could justify it regardless. Maybe better vetting, but....Irish people seem to be OK 'til they get abroad and have a few beers so that would be difficult.

I think he should have every right to ban them if he wants given the trouble he's cited - again - arrests, lots of damage to the hostel and general disruptive behaviour...

What's AH's view?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it works! my time machine works!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

FatherLen wrote: »

BUT YOU'VE TRANPORTED US ALL WITH YOU, YOU MAD BASTURD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

FatherLen wrote: »

Yeah I thought it was familiar alright!

It's just he was on now about it so he's obviously still imposing it and no sign of letting up...

Edit: I thought it was ages ago!!! Only a month! Ah well! Fcuk the lot of ya's! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Merged with recent thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

And so, with great scientific prowess the After Hours technicians stopped the rift in the timelines.

Advertisement