Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can agricultural science be a stepping stone to veterinary medicine?

• 29-06-2012 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I was once told by my career guidance teacher at school that doing agricultural science in UCD might be an idea towards progressing to veterinarymedicine/ nursing, UCD was too far away at the time because i'm from kerry and costs/accomodation etc blah

ITTralee are offering the course this year (agricultural science) so i was just thinking?

i did agri for the LC (honours) and it was always my best subject.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

i dont know the ins and outs but a friend of mine has Tralee down as number 3 because its a back route to becoming a vet

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

:D ive always wanted to do veterinary medicine, ever since i was 3 or 4 , think im going to put it as my first choice. i'll probably e-mail the college and see if they can shed some more light on the situation :)

any route is a rouute, and im down with that:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

Share if you come across a route. 560 points in difficult to achieve!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kathryn 95

I'm exactly the same as you! I am no way gonna get the points for veterinary so i've put down ag science, I have also put down the general science degree in both ucd and trinity. I think as long as you have a Level 8 honours degree in any science based degree then you can get in the graduate entry. It's so hard putting down your choices! I have 3 courses and have no idea what order to put them in :(

kathryn 95 wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same as you! I am no way gonna get the points for veterinary so i've put down ag science, I have also put down the general science degree in both ucd and trinity. I think as long as you have a Level 8 honours degree in any science based degree then you can get in the graduate entry. It's so hard putting down your choices! I have 3 courses and have no idea what order to put them in :(
    So you're doing a long route? B/Sc then Veterinary Med after that 4 year degree? Or did I interpret that wrong?

• Advertisement

iMMer5ion wrote: »
    So you're doing a long route? B/Sc then Veterinary Med after that 4 year degree? Or did I interpret that wrong?

nope thats my plan, unless their is a shorter route? That would be alot easier! :)

nope thats my plan, unless their is a shorter route? That would be alot easier! :)
    I wish you could start Science and transfer after one year lol. :)
    Which sections would you like to do? I think Zoology looks amazing :)

I have science down as 2nd choice after veterinary medicine which i know for a fact that i won't be offered! :pac: I've gone for the science in ucd and have preferred BBB - biological, biomedical and biomolecular sciences. Ohh i love the look of the zoology too! I've always had it in my head and it was always gonna be down on my CAO! I'm praying i'll get offered a space in UCD! :D What have you gone for? :)

Oh and i put a similiar post to yours on here about ag science but i was told that it wouldnt really be suitable to use as a 'stepping stone'. They prefer a degree including microbiology, pharm and chemistry kinda related stuff. I have still put ag science down but its my last choice. I think i more science degree will be better :)

I have science down as 2nd choice after veterinary medicine which i know for a fact that i won't be offered! :pac: I've gone for the science in ucd and have preferred BBB - biological, biomedical and biomolecular sciences. Ohh i love the look of the zoology too! I've always had it in my head and it was always gonna be down on my CAO! I'm praying i'll get offered a space in UCD! :D What have you gone for? :)

Oh and i put a similiar post to yours on here about ag science but i was told that it wouldnt really be suitable to use as a 'stepping stone'. They prefer a degree including microbiology, pharm and chemistry kinda related stuff. I have still put ag science down but its my last choice. I think i more science degree will be better :)

I preferred BBB in UCD Science also :)
    I put it fourth after Human Nutrition, Vet Nursing and Food Science. Of choices 2-4, I really wouldn't know which to take! I want to do all three of them!

I preferred BBB in UCD Science also :)
    I put it fourth after Human Nutrition, Vet Nursing and Food Science. Of choices 2-4, I really wouldn't know which to take! I want to do all three of them!

all over now! changed everything around like mad but i think happy now! i'm the same i want to do all my choices! i have;
    1. vet med
    2. science bbb ucd (would be thrilled to bits if i got offered that!)
    3. science trinity
    4. vet nursing ucd
    5. bioscience carlow
    6. ag science

stressed.com!:rolleyes::o

• Advertisement
Advertisement