Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v Italy Euro 2012 Final , Sunday 1st July

• 29-06-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

shamelessly stolen stats and figures :

It will be the fourth time a Euro final takes place between teams who met earlier in the tournament. It happened in 1988 (Netherlands-USSR), 1996 (Germany-Czech Republic) & 2004 (Greece-Portugal).

Italy and Spain are facing each other for the 31st time in their history. The Italians hold the advantage with 10 wins to Spain’s eight. 12 draws complete the picture.

Italy are unbeaten against Spain at major tournaments (penalties shoot-outs excluded), with three wins and four draws. Nevertheless, Spain managed to qualify in their last encounter in knockout games, it was at the quarter-finals of Euro 2008 (0-0 after 120 mins, 4-2 after penalties).

Cesare Prandelli has faced Spain twice as Italy head-coach and has never lost. Italy beat them in a friendly in August 2011 (2-1) before drawing in their opening game of Euro 2012 (1-1).

Spain haven’t conceded a single goal in their last 900 minutes of action in major tournament knockout games, a streak which started in the quarter finals of Euro 2008.

Spain are the second European side to reach the final of three consecutive major tournaments, after West Germany (Euro 72, World Cup 74, Euro 76).

Spain could become the first team in history to successfully defend their European Championship title. They would also become the first European side to win three consecutive major tournaments.

Spain have won 75% of their finals at major tournaments (three out of four), the best ratio for European sides who have played more than one final alongside France.

Italy have reached their ninth final at major tournaments (three at European Championships, six at the World Cup). They’ve won 63%.
    Italy are the only side who have never trailed at any time during Euro 2012.

Spain have the best defensive record at Euro 2012 with only one goal conceded. In their last two games combined (quarter-final v France & semi-final v Portugal), Spain have only faced one shot on target.

Spain have conceded only 12 shots on target at Euro 2012, 50% of those were against Italy in their opening game (6).

Spain have always dominated possession in their seven games at World Cup 2010 and five games at Euro 2012. Germany, in the final of Euro 2008, are the last side to dominate possession against La Roja.

Italy and Spain have had the most shots at Euro 2012: 99 and 86 respectively.

Italy have picked up the most bookings at Euro 2012: 15. That’s five more than Spain (10).

The Azzurri are unbeaten in their 15 competitive games under Cesare Prandelli: 10 wins and five draws.

Five Spanish players (Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets, Andres Iniesta and Sergio Ramos) have completed more passes than Italy’s most prolific player in that department, Andrea Pirlo (320 passes).

Mario Balotelli scored as many goals against Germany in the semi-finals as he did in his 12 previous caps for Italy. He’s scored Italy’s last three goals at Euro 2012.

Balotelli has had the most shots on target at Euro 2012: 10.
    Balotelli has become the first Italian player to score three goals in a European Championships tournament.

Gianluigi Buffon has played 24 matches at major tournaments, equalling Dino Zoff’s Italian record. He’s still four short of the record holder among goalkeepers, Spain’s Iker Casillas (28).

Andres Iniesta is the player who’s had the most shots on target without scoring at the European Championships, since 1980: 11 shots on target, 0 goal.

Cesc Fabregas and Santiago Cazorla are the most used substitutes in the history of the European Championships (alongside Holland’s Aron Winter), having been brought on seven times

If the group game is anything to go by then this game will be very interesting. Will Italy have enough to beat Spain and stop them becoming the first team to defend the European Chamopionship and also the first team to win 3 consecutive major honours.

Part of me wants Italy to do it as not many fancied them going into the Euro's but this current Spain team is an exceptionally gifted side with some excellent players and will go down in hsitory as one of the greatest international sides of all time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I'll be up for Italy myself, if only because the game will go dead if Spain take a lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Spain 2 - 0 Italy

Think Spain will take a 1st half lead and continue to play their natural game and frustrate and stiffle the Italians.

If Italy do manage to take the lead like the group game we could be in for a classic game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Italy 2-1 Spain

Early goal for Italy, Spain equalise midway through second half and Italy win it on the counter as Spain look for the winner.

Hopefully not though, Spain deserve this and the three titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Come on Italy.

Gonna miss this. FUUUUUUUUUU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I just want a freaking top notch game of soccer, something that sets the bar so high that we will be comparing games to this for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Come on Italy

I predict a 1-0 win for Spain AET

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stadium to feature empty seats (both have rubbish travelling support), an annoying "party" atmosphere but some cracking football. I'm praying for Italy to win as shockingly they are easily the better to watch and actually look to play football rather than try to "think" their way to a goal like it was chess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Going for Spain, backed them since the start. Should be a very interesting game tactically, Italy's front 2 will need to be kept quiet if Spain are to win. Goes without saying that Pirlo will have to be pressured every time he gets in possesion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

mike65 wrote: »
    Stadium to feature empty seats (both have rubbish travelling support), an annoying "party" atmosphere but some cracking football. I'm praying for Italy to win as shockingly they are easily the better to watch and actually look to play football rather than try to "think" their way to a goal like it was chess.

Worse thing about it is the price.

Cat 3 - €50
    Cat 2 - €330
    Cat 1 - €600

If ya cant get a Cat 3 then its very steep for a Cat 2 let alone the Cat 1 tickets.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I never thought I'd see the day when the substantial amount of neutrals wanted Italy to win as they are 'more entertaining' to watch.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

mike65 wrote: »

This isn't true at all. Both Italy and Spain are both tactical and technical teams. That's why they got this far. Hopefully this will be a cracker. I'm torn too because these are the teams that I wanted to see progress as far as possible after watching their opening game. Now they're playing for the glory and I think it's probably unfair on Italy but I want Spain to win they've been an amazing team and the record would be a just reward for their endeavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think Prandelli could spring some surprises with the starting line up, think they'll go back to the 3-5-2, and Nocerino may start in the final! Spain would completely control the game against last nights line up imo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

I just want a freaking top notch game of soccer, something that sets the bar so high that we will be comparing games to this for a while.

If Italy don't hold back against them like with the group game, then we should get a very good final. Just fear Spain will do it again, and in a very conservative fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

At each stage of this competition, the teams I've been supporting have been knocked out once I started supporting them.

Netherlands and Ireland in the groups
    England in the quarters
    Portugal in the semis
    Germany in the semis

So on this basis I'll be supporting Italy so that Spain will win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Jernal wrote: »
    This isn't true at all. Both Italy and Spain are both tactical and technical teams. That's why they got this far. Hopefully this will be a cracker. I'm torn too because these are the teams that I wanted to see progress as far as possible after watching their opening game. Now they're playing for the glory and I think it's probably unfair on Italy but I want Spain to win they've been an amazing team and the record would be a just reward for their endeavour.

Technical and tactical does not have to mean yawn inducing, Italy still have some buccaneering spirit as they control the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭chillian17

My preview of the final on Balls Out In Public, here: Italy has awoken, and both teams ready to die for the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Think Prandelli could spring some surprises with the starting line up, think they'll go back to the 3-5-2, and Nocerino may start in the final! Spain would completely control the game against last nights line up imo!

CM or RWB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Nice to see Italia in the final, I think its logical to say that Spain will win but I'm hoping the azzurri can win their first European cup since the 60's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Forza Team Mario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Italy for me. 2-0. They were the better team in the group game. Spain play such horrible, boring, negative football that they don't deserve to win.

Ballotelli to score and be sent off is something that might be worth a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

G.K. wrote: »

CM or RWB?

CM, instead of Motta who started the initial game between the sides, otherwise i'd go with that same lineup. Think he's as good defensively but has phenomenal energy levels and has an uneeering ability of always entering the box at the perfect time to get on the end of crosses or rebounds. His style suits fast paced counter attacking football.

Can't see how he won't chose to revert to that formation, the wingbacks were the main threat during the match for Italy with the Spainish wide forwards hesitant to track back, and also keeping the full back on the back foot for much of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

dfx- wrote: »
    Italy 2-1 Spain

Early goal for Italy, Spain equalise midway through second half and Italy win it on the counter as Spain look for the winner.

Not to be overly picky, but I have heard this a few times, not always on here, mates and lads down the pub have said this as well.

I don't get it, why do they deserve it?

Surely they have to earn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

1-0 to italy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Too close to call me thinks, not a whole lot in it but I think Italy just have that extra something about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

kryogen wrote: »
    Not to be overly picky, but I have heard this a few times, not always on here, mates and lads down the pub have said this as well.

Fair point!
    For me they deserve it for a number of reasons, maybe they don't justify awarding them the trophy and to ignore Italy's own merits but I believe Spain will win, and do so in a deserving fashion.

Players like Xavi and Casillias are coming to the Autum/Winter of their carers and they both have given every thing for club and country for so long. Casillias has been a hero for Spain. As a Barcelona fan I have huge respect for the Madrid man. His save's against Croatia proved that Spain are much more than just a "possession obsessed" team. They have character, and a huge belief in them selves.

People say they haven't played to their best yet in this tournament, but yet they seen out strong opposition like Portugal/France and in recent tournaments they've beaten Germany to take the silverware. They topped a group that featured Croatia, who for me would have progressed from ANY other group.. That to me speaks volumes about the "champions mentality" this group of players have. Not only that but the Madrid v Barcelona rift got much worse over the last few seasons but some of these guys are able to leave that behind them and when it comes to representing La Roja, they are model professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

My prediction would be 1-0 Spain, but if Italy score first it will be very very interesting and their defence is good enough to shut the Spanish out.

Under 2.5 goals is 2/5 on Paddypower which is about as low as I've ever seen, but is in many ways no surprise as I can really see this being settled by the first goal scored, or perhaps even going to extra-time scoreless.

Then again, it's a final and sometimes you can be surprised.

I expect a fascinating game of high quality football, and that's even if it ends 0-0. Really really looking forward to some of the match-ups here, particularly in midfield.

Spain and Italy are the 2 best teams in the tournament and both deserve their place in the final. Don't understand the 'boring' tag placed on both teams by some. Football doesn't need goals and end to end action to be fascinating and absorbing for me.

Under 2.5 was 1/3 in some places for the Copa final the other day :) buying money too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Del Bosque

"It is a final and it is 50-50. That we played each other in the group stages doesn't condition the game at all. That day [Italy striker] Antonio Cassano said to my assistant Toni Grande, 'We will see if we meet in the final' and he we are."

Fair play Cassano :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

2-1 to Italy

They have the momentom

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Hard one to call, I'd back Spain If I had to make a bet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 482 ✭✭Mont

kryogen wrote: »

I agree, no team deserves anything. Its like people were saying Chelsea deserved to win the CL, they didnt.

I fancy Spain. Balotelli will prob. play rubbish on Sunday night as he has gotten his brilliant game out of the way in the semi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Come on Italy, help me pay my rent next week!

Won't get to see the game apart from the last 10-15 minutes but I hope it's a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Reckon he'll go back to a 3-5-2 too. But would think that a CM combination of Marchisio-Pirlo-De Rossi would be a sure thing with Montolivo dropping to the bench for Abate or Maggio at RWB.

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Fair point!
    For me they deserve it for a number of reasons, maybe they don't justify awarding them the trophy and to ignore Italy's own merits but I believe Spain will win, and do so in a deserving fashion.

Players like Xavi and Casillias are coming to the Autum/Winter of their carers and they both have given every thing for club and country for so long. Casillias has been a hero for Spain. As a Barcelona fan I have huge respect for the Madrid man. His save's against Croatia proved that Spain are much more than just a "possession obsessed" team. They have character, and a huge belief in them selves.

People say they haven't played to their best yet in this tournament, but yet they seen out strong opposition like Portugal/France and in recent tournaments they've beaten Germany to take the silverware. They topped a group that featured Croatia, who for me would have progressed from ANY other group.. That to me speaks volumes about the "champions mentality" this group of players have. Not only that but the Madrid v Barcelona rift got much worse over the last few seasons but some of these guys are able to leave that behind them and when it comes to representing La Roja, they are model professionals.
    This is very important, and is often overlooked I feel. The Barca players, from since Pep took over, know they're the best team around, they expect to win every game, and we all know how much confidence Mourinho instills in his teams. This winners mentality filters through to the rest of the team and, imo, is a key factor in why Spain have won so many big games. They're big game players, and have experience in abundance when it comes to winning things. I've never seen Spain look "shook", even when they go behind or are playing poorly, they have the self belief to pull through. The penalty shoot-out against Portugal was a very good example of this, only an excellent save prevented them from scoring 5 from 5 in a high pressure situation.

I'm missing the final due to playing a gig so I'll have to skip boards, FB and Twitter for hours until iplayer has it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I think Spain will win 2-0, but I really really hope Italy win.
    They were a far better team to watch in the euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

dfx- wrote: »
    Italy 2-1 Spain

Em they deserve to win if they win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Spain to win. They'll have too much class for Italy.

Pedro has to start for me.

Pedro has to start for me.
    Couldn't agree more, he should have started every game imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

I would nearly say that this match is unbettable on, if thats an actual word.

Id like to see italy to do it and pirlo be added to the list of players who have done it all, win everything possible basically. Would still say spain will win though, hoping they start a cf atleast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,676 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Italy to win on penalties

There will be a few interesting markets, Spain to have 60% or more possession is 10/11 quite a decent bet imo

Spain to have under 6 shots on target I also like @13/8

There will be a few spots to get money on I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm missing the final due to playing a gig so I'll have to skip boards, FB and Twitter for hours until iplayer has it. :(

I'd to do that for the Germany Greece game last week. Not the easiest thing. Don't tell anyone you're doing it either, or they'll just try and ruin it on you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

We already know the winner.

IS284.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Have a fancy for Italy to win this. They've been the form team of the tournament and although Spain are proven winners, I think Italy will emerge as champions, though it may go to extra time and possibly penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I want Italy to win this. Every chipper in Ireland will be lashing out free food for a month after it!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

i think Italia can do it ! 2-1 with balotelli getting one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I reckon this is the man to inspire Spain and boss the show. Again.

I hope it's a good final.

• Advertisement
Advertisement