Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v Italy Euro 2012 Final , Sunday 1st July

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Meanwhile in Kiev....

xOeHdWo-XRc.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Balotelli to either kill someone or score a hat trick of bicycle kicks from the halfway line.

Whatever happens, I can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mont wrote: »
    I agree, no team deserves anything. Its like people were saying Chelsea deserved to win the CL, they didnt.

I fancy Spain. Balotelli will prob. play rubbish on Sunday night as he has gotten his brilliant game out of the way in the semi's.

They did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Well done to Prandelli. Italy have been absolutely tragic since pretty much the day after the final in 2006. It certainly is some hell of a turnaround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't wait for this match. For me, it's one of those finals where i don't mind who wins. I'm hoping for Spain ultimately though just to annoy the people on here who don't want them to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

I say it will be 1-0 to Spain but il be cheering for Italy. I hope it's a good game with no extra time as il have to go to work once the 90 minutes are up.

FORZA ITALiA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Italy to win 1-0 ...Marchisio match winner! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Vokes wrote: »
    Reckon he'll go back to a 3-5-2 too. But would think that a CM combination of Marchisio-Pirlo-De Rossi would be a sure thing with Montolivo dropping to the bench for Abate or Maggio at RWB.
    Prandelli wrote:
    In all honesty, no, I haven’t considered it,” he says. “We maintained a certain balance over the last few games, although we understood that during the match we can switch to a 3-5-2 if we want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I reckon this is the man to inspire Spain and boss the show. Again.

I hope it's a good final.

Check out the Italian players at 1:57 after he passes the ball. Even better than that recent Iniesta pix doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Hope Italy win this - should be a great match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

aindriu80 wrote: »
    i think Italia can do it ! 2-1 with balotelli getting one.

God i hope they win 2 -1 ill be 150quid richer if they do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i've watched each euro final since i've been old enough to sit still for a full game of football and i think this'll be the first i officially dodge. spain are stinking up international football and even if they don't win, it's italy who are not exactly exciting for neutrals.

or maybe I'll just stick it on when the inevitable penos start.

really is a muck year for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Leftist wrote: »
    i've watched each euro final since i've been old enough to sit still for a full game of football and i think this'll be the first i officially dodge. spain are stinking up international football and even if they don't win, it's italy who are not exactly exciting for neutrals.

Your loss. Not a fan of Spain by any means, in fact I'd go so far to say that I dislike the current team's style but it's a fascinating encounter. Go to your local park and watch an U10s game of you want a goal fest. Italy have also been very entertaining this tournament. This cliche that they are a boring defensive team is unjustified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

They're the 2 best teams in the tournament and I feel sorry for you if you can't appreciate the talent both teams have and the quality of football they produce.

As for muck year for football, I just can't see where that's coming from at all. This has been the best major football tournament for a while in terms of the quality of football produced imo, with some really entertaining group games and some absorbing knockout games too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Spain don't stink up internationall football, it's teams who just defend deep against them that make them seem 'boring' (Though I don't think it's boring even then). The 1st half of the Portugal match (Common consensus, I enjoyed the whole thing personally) and the Italy game in the group were excellent to watch.

As for Italy, I can only assume you feed off sterotypes and haven't watched them. They aren't a park the bus team, they are very nice to watch. Against Spain, England and Germany they were very good. (I can't remember the Croatia game very well and I didn't watch them against Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The last time Spain conceded more than one goal at a tournament was in 2006 against France, when the French won 3-1.

They have an incredible defensive record, particularly in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

TripleAce wrote: »
    Italy to win 1-0 ...Marchisio match winner! :)

Going to throw a bet on this actually - 125/1

Italy are well capable of winning 1-0, and Marchisio has a decent scoring record at Juve, but has yet to score in this tournament. Worth a euro or two anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

Blatter wrote: »
    The last time Spain conceded more than one goal at a tournament was in 2006 against France, when the French won 3-1.

They have an incredible defensive record, particularly in the last couple of years.

They really do it's astonishing how consistent they've been. Can anyone breach that defense(in a competitive game)? It's not even that their defenders are that good defensively more that their possession game is so effective. Going off topic but I'd love to see Brazil - Spain competitively.

Forza Italia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Morzadec wrote: »
    . This has been the best major football tournament for a while in terms of the quality of football produced imo, with some really entertaining group games and some absorbing knockout games too.

in your opinion. What are the outstanding games? the only drama from the group games was greece and russia. Portugal holland was probably the best game. The rest were forgettable. Aside from the irish games which I wish were forgettable.

edit: also never said italy were boring, but it's hard to get excited about them, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Italy to win on penalties and I'll go out on a limb and say Pirlo will score the decisive penalty. If Spain don't win it will all be thanks to that supposedly new Italian standout Andrea Pirlo who never played in the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm sure its nonsense but on BBC radio it was mentioned that some source had said Del Bosque could start with 3 strikers! Obviously none is much more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Hope Italy beat Spain, but I think it will be a terrible game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

mike65 wrote: »
    I'm sure its nonsense but on BBC radio it was mentioned that some source had said Del Bosque could start with 3 strikers! Obviously none is much more likely.

Mistranslation. Del Bosque said 3 forwards (Meaning, presumeably, Iniesta, Silva plus 1 more).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

in your opinion. What are the outstanding games? the only drama from the group games was greece and russia. Portugal holland was probably the best game. The rest were forgettable. Aside from the irish games which I wish were forgettable.

edit: also never said italy were boring, but it's hard to get excited about them, imo.

The Spain/Italy game in the group is probably the match of the tournament

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Hope Italy win, can't be arsed with this Spanish play anymore. It may be great but I'm getting sick of it at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

545060_382889438436940_1443110834_n.jpg

255236_10150909380251139_1804474322_n.jpg

531435_383297565062794_2100708681_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Any sign of the starting team lineups yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Rumours have it that Torres is to start, completely unsubstantiated of course ;)

Apparently it'll be Fabregas.

Casillas, Arbeloa, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, X.Alonso, Xavi; Silva, Iniesta, Cesc.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Words can't express how much I want Italy to score an early goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

in your opinion. What are the outstanding games? the only drama from the group games was greece and russia.

Final games of the other groups.

In Group B a Denmark win would have knocked Germany out and they gave it a right go, before an 80th min German goal sealed it.

In Group C Croatia had a decent go at Spain, with a goal having the potential to knock Spain out. Even after Spain scored a late Croatia goal would have knocked Italy out.

In Group D Ukraine needing a victory had a really good go at England in the final game.

I really don't see any lack of drama there, even if ultimately none of the fairytales happened.

Gone with Balotelli first goal @ 15/2. Double odds if he scores a second.

5/2 anytime to score.

Italy Starting XI: Buffon; Abate, Barzagli, Bonucci, Chiellini; Pirlo, Marchisio, De Rossi; Montolivo, Cassano, Balotelli.

Guessing Abate is fully recovered then. Balzaretti did extremely well defensively the other night (harsh peno against him) but Italy never looked to get him involved and he pretty much remained at the RB position all game. Chiellini was bombing up that left flank quite a bit so I'm guessing Abate will try and do similar on the other side.

Blatter wrote: »
    Apparently it'll be Fabregas.

Casillas, Arbeloa, Piqué, Ramos, Alba; Busquets, X.Alonso, Xavi; Silva, Iniesta, Cesc.
    Confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Could this be got on radio lads??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

closeline wrote: »

5 live I'd imagine

It's on 5live alright, doubt any Irish station will have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Ya I'm looking for something on my car radio. Can 5 live be got on the phone anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Ya I'm looking for something on my car radio. Can 5 live be got on the phone anyone?

You can get 5 live on 909 on the am frequency

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Words can't express how much I want Italy to score an early goal.

Doesn't really matter IMO. Italy are not like most of the other sides in the competition. If Italy concede early it's not as if they don't have it in them to create enough to get back in the game. If Italy score early the same goes for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I don't really care who wins as long as we have a great match. That all depends on Italy. If they play like they did in the group match, and like how they have been all tournament, then we potentially have a classic on our hands.

If they don't play like that then it'll be garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I would like Spain to have 60% possession and this game to go to penalties, can be a 3-3 thriller or a 0-0 tactical fest, those two outcomes will make me very happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

The music for the closing celebration is like something from an Austin Powers film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

My money is on the green team! COYBIG!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Very good piece on Balotelli by the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

That whistle looked like an ejaculating penis.

• Advertisement
Advertisement