Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain v Italy Euro 2012 Final , Sunday 1st July

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Yeah, who was it? I thought it was Arbeloa.

Think it was Busquets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Paparazzo wrote: »
    They're up there, but can you honestly say they're better than Hungary of the 50's, brazil 1970, brazil 82, holland 70's? I don't think anyone can.

Hungary of the 50's and Holland of the 70's won nothing, and that's what you're judged on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

BBC update...

wow, shocking news that.

1. 2137:
      BREAKING NEWS- Spain win Euro 2012
    Seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

These two side are just class though. The Spanish lining up in a guard of honour as the Italians went up the steps to get their medals and the Italians staying on the pitch to applaud the Spanish as they lift the trophy. Class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Someone please tell me the name of the song in the background..

I know it well but can't think of the name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Someone tell Ramos not drop the cup during the open top bus parade :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Mont wrote: »
    How petty is that.

they were saying this was the best team of all time. That's not right. Well done Spain but they were the underachievers for years don't forget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Haha, anyone else see the fan just waltz over and start celebrating with the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

What a season it turned out to be for Torres, after having a seemingly awful time for much of it. Ended up winning FA Cup, Champions League and the Euros as well as the golden boot. Happy for him, always liked him despite the grief he's given Man Utd the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Someone please tell me the name of the song in the background..

I know it well but can't think of the name

Two Steps From Hell - Heart of Courage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Hungary of the 50's and Holland of the 70's won nothing, and that's what you're judged on.

Bollocks, in that case David May is better than Roberto Baggio.
    And Greece from 2002 are better than Brazil 1982.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭bookie basher

no goals conceded in the knockout stages at euro 08,world cup 10, euro 12, thats no goals in 10 knockout games against the best teams, phenomenal achievement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Did Dunphy just say the Spanish players decided not to sing their anthem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Dunphy, for shame. They didn't sing because there are no lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

shrewdness wrote: »
    What a season it turned out to be for Torres, after having a seemingly awful time for much of it. Ended up winning FA Cup, Champions League and the Euros as well as the golden boot. Happy for him, always liked him despite the grief he's given Man Utd the last few years.

He cost me a few quid by squaring ball to Mata. Am i correct in saying 7 players tied for top scorer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Mario looks in bits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

martyeds wrote: »
    He cost me a few quid by squaring ball to Mata. Am i correct in saying 7 players tied for top scorer.

BBC said it goes to Torres as least minutes on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭Taco Corp

nummnutts wrote: »
    The fact that no one corrected him is almost as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Haha, anyone else see the fan just waltz over and start celebrating with the players?

That was John Terry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,648 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Fair play to Spain...as Giles said it's the Spanish team's intelligence that sets them apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

adox wrote: »
    NBC said it goes to Torres as least minutes on the pitch.

Top Scorer is a tie and is what most bets will be on - very few bookies take bets on the Golden Boot.

nummnutts wrote: »

Well, officially there are lyrics (since 2008) but not many acknowledge them since the death of Francisco Franco

And some people would prefer to stick with the likes of him than see the RTE panel shaken up a bit? Baffling.

I thought Eamon was the resident Spanish expert in the studio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Top Scorer is a tie and is what most bets will be on - very few bookies take bets on the Golden Boot.

Ladbrokes just said there that they're not taking it on the Golden Boot.

just switching over to ITV1HD there and Roy keane thinks the whole 3 trophy thing no striker is fun

• Advertisement

Amazing all the subcultures (Catalan, Basque, etc) that exist in Spain yet football seems to unite them. Wonderful side to watch and who are setting a healthy precedent in terms of playing the game the way it was meant to be played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Oops fell asleep- missed all the game- saw the goals on BBC- well done Spain. Greatest team of our Generation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

martyeds wrote: »

He wins for the assist :D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/euro2012/article-2167397/Euro-2012-Fernando-Torres-wins-golden-boot.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Masterclass from spain, just amazing! Italy didnt deserve that thumping though. Twas a bad call using the subs up that early on italys behalf though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

And some people would prefer to stick with the likes of him than see the RTE panel shaken up a bit? Baffling.

Hes also made reference to Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas playing together as 16 year olds a few times during the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Spain only conceding one goal in the whole tournament - amazing record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

The fact that no one corrected him is almost as bad.

I think Bill was going to but decided to leave him off.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    they were saying this was the best team of all time. That's not right. Well done Spain but they were the underachievers for years don't forget

As a footballing nation perhaps but certainly not this group of players. 3 major tournaments in a row is terrific. It doesn't happen by accident and is a huge achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Well, officially there are lyrics (since 2008) but not many acknowledge them since the death of Francisco Franco
    It doesn't - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_national_anthem

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Barr wrote: »
    Spain only conceding one goal in the whole tournament - amazing record.

Euro 2008 = 3 goals
    WC 2010 = 2 goals
    Euro 2012 = 1 goal
    WC 2014 = ? :eek:

(also that was their 10th clean sheet in a row at the knock-out stages)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Always thought Iniesta was robbed of the Ballon D'or in 2010. Was easy to just award it to Messi but Iniesta deserved it imo.

Always thought Xavi should have won that award myself.

Also thought Xavi was man of the match tonight, he was a class apart from anyone, he set the tempo and everything went through him. His two assists were right out of the top drawer.

Iniesta for player of the tournament after tonight.

28064212 wrote: »

Ah, Wikipedia. A bastion of faultless infomation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yes, linking to Wiki is lazy. Lazier is responding to that link by dismissing all wiki information as wrong

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Is there some information on that page that you dispute?

• Advertisement

THFC wrote: »
    Always thought Xavi should have won that award myself.

Also thought Xavi was man of the match tonight, he was a class apart from anyone, he set the tempo and everything went through him. His two assists were right out of the top drawer.

Iniesta for player of the tournament after tonight.

I wouldn't have argued with Xavi getting it but just thought Iniesta edged it, but definitely think one of the two should have got it after that season, but the "easy" option of Messi was taken instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

ceegee wrote: »

Hes also made reference to Xavi, Iniesta and Fabregas playing together as 16 year olds a few times during the tournament.
    Think pique fab and messi were on same team in la masia

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes, linking to Wiki is lazy. Lazier is responding to that link by dismissing all wiki information as wrong

I didn't dismiss all wiki information, I merely stated that it is far from 100% correct (more like 95%)

Anyway, Spain deserved winners. Were the better team in pretty much all of their games. Best tournament in a while, particularly the group stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Pirlo still to take the award plz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I didn't dismiss it all wiki information, I merely stated this it far from 100% correct (more like 95%)

Cool. You can edit the other 5% then.

As a footballing nation perhaps but certainly not this group of players. 3 major tournaments in a row is terrific. It doesn't happen by accident and is a huge achievement.

well it is about football and they have been the underachievers full stop. They have had problems in their country so they can really enjoy winning the euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I wouldn't have argued with Xavi getting it but just thought Iniesta edged it, but definitely think one of the two should have got it after that season, but the "easy" option of Messi was taken instead.
    No I fully agree, I was disappointed when Messi won it that time as well. I thought it was probably going to be the last time for quite a while that someone other that Ronaldo or Messi would even be in contention for the award so I was hoping they wouldn't give it to Messi. I just have a slight preference for Xavi..

Renn wrote: »
    Cool. You can edit the other 5% then.

That's a big job. I'll leave it to the other geniuses. This thread is being dragged off-topic, I'm gonna bow out now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

100 international victories for Casillas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

There you go

link

and the "Real Decreto" itself

http://www.boe.es/boe/dias/1997/10/11/pdfs/A29594-29600.pdf

In 2008 there was the intention to ask in court to add lyrics to the Anthem, they needed to gather 500.000 signatures first. As far as I know this has not gone through yet.

What you are referring to is what happened in July 2008 when Placido Domingo sang the lyrics (pre approved by the COE) on an official act, it was after that when some people thought it might be a good idea to add them to the official Anthem but never happened, as far as I know

Advertisement