Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to plant out young perenials grown from collected seed

Options
  • 29-06-2012 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Sowed some home collected Lupin seeds under cover in March. The warm spell we had got them germinating pretty fast. anyway - now - in late June, I have about 50 plants. They've all been repotted/fed, repotted again etc.

They are a good size - similar to the ones you would buy in Lidl or Aldi for 2.99. They've been outside for about 3 weeks - hardening off. Some of them are developing flowers. I was wondering - should I plant them in situ now, in the autumn or leave them in pots and plant them out next spring? Also - Should I nip the flower buds off to let the plant concentrate on root development? ( I'm reluctant to do this as I've no idea what colour the flowers are going to be so would like to know this before I plant out).

This is the first year I have collected, sown raised my own perenials from seed in my garden. So far I've raised Lupins, Malteese Cross, Salvias, and sweet pea (I know they're not perenials)

Cheers for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Bumpage ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I've my lupins sown out now ( they need a good feed) . Going to try that miracle gro food and seen if it works. I'd stick them down now

Advertisement