Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man sets himself on fire outside Job Centre in Birmingham

• 29-06-2012 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

This is a local news story, but I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by the national press (except for the Telegraph).
    A DESPERATE job seeker set himself alight outside a Birmingham Jobcentre in an alleged row over his benefit payments.

Horrified eyewitnesses saw the man douse himself in flammable liquid after tying himself to railings at the Jobcentre Plus in Harborne Lane, Selly Oak, at around 9.20am.

Cops rushed to the aid of the 48-year-old man and sprayed him with fire extinguishers after he suffered burns to his lower legs.

The building remained closed throughout the day and claimants were told that payments would be made directly to banks. One eyewitness, who did not want to be named, said: “The guy came into the Jobcentre with petrol and made threats, so they evacuated the whole building.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/06/29/desperate-jobseeker-sets-himself-alight-outside-selly-oak-jobcentre-97319-31284847/

EDIT: There's a better article at The Guardian. That also mentions an attempted suicide at a benefits office in Liverpool, which I'd not heard about before.

Obviously we've seen similar things in Greece et al., but is this just one lone nutter or indicative of the fact that people really are desperate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

And what does he think this will achieve?

"I have the balls to stet myself on fire, therefore, I'm a perfect candidate for your job position!"

tumblr_m5zuivZKDZ1qlutygo1_250.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Its amazing that someone would rather set themselves on fire than get a job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

1ZRed wrote: »

"I have the balls to stet myself on fire, therefore, I'm a perfect candidate for your job position!"

he might get a job playing a burns victim on one of telly's hospital soaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

brummytom wrote: »
    but is this just one lone nutter or indicative of the fact that people really are desperate?

A little from column A and...

in any case, it's not really something that should be joked about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Are you for real? Did you consider that he may have been awaiting a payment that wasnt getting processed? A payment that he might need to buy food for himself and/or his kids? I think his job prospects were possibly a little down the list of his priorities maybe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

In fairness, it was in response to his benefit payments rather than a lack of job offers. I know people in AH hate 'all dem bluddy benefit scroungers' but they're being absolutely raped in this country at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Whatever his situation was, setting himself on fire was a pretty stupid and pointless move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Dean09 wrote: »
    Whatever his situation was, setting himself on fire was a pretty stupid and pointless move.

I think this in indicative of the situation out there . Report of an OAP in greece shot himself In front of a bank .person in Italy fire . It's sad what ever the circumstances that they have to resort to that.

All in protest http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/9186568/Austerity-suicide-Greek-pensioner-shoots-himself-in-Athens.html

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

In fairness, it was in response to his benefit payments rather than a lack of job offers. I know people in AH hate 'all dem bluddy benefit scroungers' but they're being absolutely raped in this country at the moment.
    Its Ok Tommy ,I think he was an Aston Villa fan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Some unemployed Tunisian guy set himself on fire. It brought down the government, and the next country over had a change of government and the next country over to that had a change of government.
    People set themselves on fire regularly in Tibet but it does'nt make the headlines that often either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Poor chap, poverty and desperation often go hand in hand. This must have been his tipping point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

We're all suffering, no need to get so hot headed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

The saying, "flaming numpty" comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Agricola wrote: »
    Are you for real? Did you consider that he may have been awaiting a payment that wasnt getting processed? A payment that he might need to buy food for himself and/or his kids? I think his job prospects were possibly a little down the list of his priorities maybe!

Hang on I misread the post! Wow my mistake there:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

snubbleste wrote: »
    People set themselves on fire regularly in Tibet but it does'nt make the headlines that often either.

I gather that's all to do with religious autocracy though, so perhaps it's not a cause more noteworthy than unemployment in Birmingham. I do have a reputation for being wrong quite frequently though.

kowloon wrote: »
    I gather that's all to do with religious autocracy though, so perhaps it's not a cause more noteworthy than unemployment in Birmingham. I do have a reputation for being wrong quite frequently though.
    Over 30 Tibetans have courageously set fire to themselves in protests against China's repressive occupation. If your found with a picture of the Dali Lama you could be sent to prison and if not at least a bad beating.
    And of course it does not make the headlines, China controls all media that comes out of tibet.
    Even google was censored in China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

In fairness, if I had to live in Birmingham, I'd gladly douse myself with petrol, and whip out the zippo. I think the man deserves sympathy, he stuck it for 40+ years. It's a bit of a kip. Liverpool too. They could film a movie set in Beirut in either of them. In fairness, if you are that desperate, there might be a few more quid in setting other things than yourself alight. Especially in a recession- arsonists are always in demand when a business wants to go out with a bang.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

shocking hope hes alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A Pakistani lad did this before in Artane Castle. He went into the Tescos and grabbed lighter fluid then set himself on fire outside the hairdressers.

Crazy shít

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Without getting to much into the social welfare system in the UK v the one here, atleast (as far as i'm aware) in the UK you have to provide proof of your job hunting on a fortnightly basis, here you just sign your name. A whole 16 months on JSB/JSA and I wasn't asked to provide proof once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Varied wrote: »
    The saying, "flaming numpty" comes to mind.

Not if you're Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Why do you do if the Late Late Show goes on fire?......Watch Gay Byrne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Any mention of the individuals nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

It also happens here in this country and not just in Birmingham and I precict you will see alot more of this crazy stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

furmi wrote: »
    It also happens here in this country and not just in Birmingham and I precict you will see alot more of this crazy stuff.
    Some examples, cos I cant think of a single case of anyone here setting themselves on fire as a form of protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

juan.kerr wrote: »
    What difference would that make?

SocSocPol wrote: »
    What difference would that make?

Who said it makes a difference?

Well if it makes no difference why did you ask in the first place? Odds are as it happened in birmingham his nationality would be English.

• Advertisement

Well if it makes no difference why did you ask in the first place? Odds are as it happened in birmingham his nationality would be English.

Maybe, maybe not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Birmingham#Ethnicity

I would suggest that you learn the differnce between nationality and ethnicity.

I would suggest that you learn the differnce between nationality and ethnicity.

I'm aware of the difference. I wondered if you'd be a smart arse about it while I was posting the link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Disability Benefits

I'm aware of the difference. I wondered if you'd be a smart arse about it while I was posting the link.
    So you posted an irrelavant link and your pi**ed at having it pointed out to you, you are the one who queationed the poor sods nationality, one can only surmise why you did that.
    Out of this discussion, not interested in being flamed. Bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Bull. The vast majority have it easy in Ireland.

Benefit payments in the UK amount to far less, and if you're living in London the cost of living is proportionately higher also.

• Advertisement

vard wrote: »

Benefit payments in the UK amount to far less, and if you're living in London the cost of living is proportionately higher also.
    The UK get
    Free Doctor
    Free Dental
    very cheap prescriptions
    Free Education
    You are not comparing like with like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭furmi

NIMAN wrote: »
    Some examples, cos I cant think of a single case of anyone here setting themselves on fire as a form of protest.

one that springs to mind is :

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0804/garda.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Amazing how arguments can flare up like this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The UK get
    Free Doctor
    Free Dental
    very cheap prescriptions
    Free Education
    You are not comparing like with like at all.

If your talking about people on social welfare they get the same in Ireland.

If your talking about people on social welfare they get the same in Ireland.
    The hell they do.
    Costs a fortune with books and obligatory contributions to school, dental care doesent even exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The hell they do.
    Costs a fortune with books and obligatory contributions to school, dental care doesent even exist.

Do you they get free school books in the UK? Also they don't get free college education. You can get free dental care under the medical card afaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You asked so it must have some measure of importance to you?

A man sets his shoes on fire and it ends up in the papers.

Mother of three dies in Tibet

Latest self-immolation in Tibet

A mother of three has died after setting herself on fire in Tibet.

Rechok, who was in her mid-30s, died at the scene. She set herself on fire in front of the Jonang Dzamthang monastery in Barma Township. Her body is currently in the monastery and many Tibetans have gathered for her cremation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Well, if it's a job as a stunt man, he is the perfect candidate.

A man sets his shoes on fire and it ends up in the papers.

Mother of three dies in Tibet

Latest self-immolation in Tibet

A mother of three has died after setting herself on fire in Tibet.

Rechok, who was in her mid-30s, died at the scene. She set herself on fire in front of the Jonang Dzamthang monastery in Barma Township. Her body is currently in the monastery and many Tibetans have gathered for her cremation.

When something is a very regular occurence as Self-immolation is in Tibet, it ceases to be news. But when a guy purposely sets himself on fire in the UK, it's rare enough that it is news.

Do you they get free school books in the UK? Also they don't get free college education. You can get free dental care under the medical card afaik.
    You get very limited care after a very long wait, if you need more than two fillings you have to get the teeth extracted!
    You do get free education in primary and secondary in England, and you get free University in Scotland.
    Im just making the point that in many ways particularly access to services you could be better off in the UK.

Heh, you should see how much free dental care you can get on the medical card. As for any non-essential medical stuff one shouldn't expect to see a consultant in under 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The hell they do.

Every secondary school has a book scheme including copies for those unable to afford them i.e medical card holders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

HA HA, thats funny he is clearly a head the ball, I know a guy who did something similar, he went into a building with his petrol can full and started pouring it all over the place, people were screaming and crying, he made a trail back to the main door,

by now the employees were going frantic, he takes out his lighter (this all happened in about 25 seconds) lets out a big laugh and tossed it onto the trail he had just made, turned and left the building, it was water he had, such an anticlimax for the staff one minute they were going to burn to death the next minute they were hugging each sneaking off for durty sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

vard wrote: »

The person you are responding to is in the UK.

So you basically agree with them.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Every secondary school has a book scheme including copies for those unable to afford them i.e medical card holders.
    No they dont! Not every, not even most, and most demand annual registration fees of €100+

• Advertisement
Advertisement