Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man sets himself on fire outside Job Centre in Birmingham

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

SocSocPol wrote: »
    No they dont! Not every, not even most, and most demand annual registration fees of €100+

Yes they do. If you ask the schools they have to adhere.
    School Books Grant Scheme
    A grant scheme is available for students in State primary and post-primary schools to help with the cost of school books. The scheme is mainly aimed at pupils from low-income families and families experiencing financial hardship. Funding for this scheme comes from the Department of Education and Skills and the scheme is administered in each school by the school principal.

The rates for schools in the Delivering Equality of Opportunity in Schools (DEIS) programme are higher than those for non-DEIS schools.

Broadly speaking, students who may be eligible for assistance under the School Books Grant Scheme include:

Families that are mainly dependent on social welfare payments
    Families on low incomes, (for example, those receiving Family Income Supplement, and the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance)
    Families experiencing financial hardship because of particular circumstances (for example, where there is prolonged illness of a parent/guardian, addiction problems, etc.)

Students who are in the care of foster families under arrangements made by a Local Health Office and students participating in Youthreach, VTOS and Post-Leaving Certificate Courses are ineligible for assistance under the School Books Grant Scheme. Read more about the School Books Grant Scheme in Primary Schools and the School Books Grant Scheme in Post Primary Schools.

How can you complain about 100 quid a year? How do you think the school operates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Yes they do. If you ask the schools they have to adhere.

How can you complain about 100 quid a year? How do you think the school operates?
    First the piece you quoted (if you had read it ) makes it clear that NOT all schools, not even all Deis schools actually have book grant schemes.
    Second , If something is free then there is no charge not €1,€10 nor €100. Between registration charges, uniforms, books the cost of education to those on low incomes can be phrohibitive.
    I know of one child in a local school who was sent home recently because he was wearing the wrong colour shoes (His mother was waiting for Child Benifit day to buy new ones) Free education does not exist except in the fairytale imaginings of the few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

SocSocPol wrote: »
    First the piece you quoted (if you had read it ) makes it clear that NOT all schools, not even all Deis schools actually have book grant schemes.
    Second , If something is free then there is no charge not €1,€10 nor €100. Between registration charges, uniforms, books the cost of education to those on low incomes can be phrohibitive.
    I know of one child in a local school who was sent home recently because he was wearing the wrong colour shoes (His mother was waiting for Child Benifit day to buy new ones) Free education does not exist except in the fairytale imaginings of the few.

Free education is the term used to describe free tuition. I am not sure why this was not used originally but I would say back a few decades ago when it was introduced education probably appeared easier to communicate the meaning. A registration fee is completely different than tuition. You can get grants for uniforms too.
    Where exactly does it say not all schools? It says that it is up to the principal to administer which generally means it is up to the office staff. If it is not in place already then all it would take is it being brought up at a Parents Association Meeting or just go direct to the principal and ask why they are not making use of a grant which amounted to 15 million in 2011. Only those worst off will get it though so you really need to be able to show you are under extreme financial pressure. I have personally went and bought books for those on the scheme for a school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I was looking at the Tibet self immolation videos on YouTube today after reading this. Bar one video they all just stood there until their bodies collapsed. Onlookers just watched with no reaction.

Scary stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

only burns to his lower legs!he'll have to do alot better to impress me:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

furmi wrote: »
    one that springs to mind is :

http://www.rte.ie/news/1999/0804/garda.html

Once, 13yrs ago?
    And that idiot set fire to the Garda station, not himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

A little from column A and...

in any case, it's not really something that should be joked about.

I concur, about ten years ago a client of mine did this. It is one of the wrost ways to go. Black humour helps us deal with bad cases, unless you where involved in the case here, its sick and is just aiming for thanks imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

brummytom wrote: »
    This is a local news story, but I'm surprised it hasn't been picked up by the national press (except for the Telegraph).

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/top-stories/2012/06/29/desperate-jobseeker-sets-himself-alight-outside-selly-oak-jobcentre-97319-31284847/

EDIT: There's a better article at The Guardian. That also mentions an attempted suicide at a benefits office in Liverpool, which I'd not heard about before.

Obviously we've seen similar things in Greece et al., but is this just one lone nutter or indicative of the fact that people really are desperate?

like many parts of the England, its full of lower middle class people, the guy jumping off the shopping mall in brum prob falls in the same bracket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Don't get this whole set yourself on fire lark, in all fairness. Its not noble, its fcuking stupid

• Advertisement

Pantsface wrote: »
    Don't get this whole set yourself on fire lark, in all fairness. Its not noble, its fcuking stupid

You just have never being in that place yet. Stupid my hole

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Odysseus wrote: »
    You just have never being in that place yet. Stupid my hole

In front of a Job Centre in Birmingham, really?

Pantsface wrote: »
    In front of a Job Centre in Birmingham, really?

Doesn't mater where I have seen it Dublin. When you end up in such a mind set it is far fron stupid. Do some reading on mental health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Odysseus wrote: »
    Doesn't mater where I have seen it Dublin. When you end up in such a mind set it is far fron stupid. Do some reading on mental health.

Exactly. I spent a year unemployed and that was nearly enough to tip me over the edge, let alone having payments delayed. When I read this I could completely understand where the poor man was coming from, I guess some people have been fortunate enough to have never been at such a low ebb.

Advertisement