Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in with "The Lads"

Options
  • 29-06-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Am i stupid to do this?

Move into a house with 5 friends, 3 who are on the dol so they stay up all night, one who works and one thats in college

I myself work 9-5 and am wondering will this basically ruin my working life? (parties, having no will power at all when cans come out etc)

Just interested to see did anyone else do this?

Gary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

few naggins they said, be grand they said...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It won't ruin your working life if you stay on top of it, but you'll probably find yourself getting a bit pissed off.

That is, you'll work 9-5 and come home to find 4 lads sitting on the couch, can in one hand, fag in the other, dirty plates and empty boxes everywhere. All you want to do is chill out and have something to eat. And that's every evening.

And that'll be fine for the first couple of weeks, you'll have a laugh. But then it'll start to really, really annoy you, especially as the house stays a mess and nothing seems to get done by anyone.

Depends on the lads themselves of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

You might even find yourself falling out with these friends. Might be safest to live elsewhere and call over whenever you want to hang out with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^ Best option I think.

Move in somewhere nearby with other working people and then you can pop around to their party house when you fancy a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

It really depends on the particular bunch. My last place there was half of us working, half unemployed, it was grand. Even though they would be big into parties it was agreed at the outset parties only at the weekend. Few people over during the week, grand, but nothing more than that.

As regards coming home to them sitting on the couch with cans, if they're on the dole, I doubt they could afford to drink every night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Sounds like my student days. Grand when youre 19 and in college; wouldnt be my cup of tea when Im working 9-5. Youll end up hating it very quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

''Move into a house with 5 friends, 3 who are on the dol so they stay up all night, one who works and one thats in college

I myself work 9-5 ''

so what youre saying is they will be up all night,while you have to get up for work in the morning,and they can take all the food and milk while youre gone,how are you going to seperate out your food in the fridge(they might just eat yours),and the place will probably be a kip when you get back from work everyday..

spells disaster and you could lose friends in the process..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

live with women = happy

live with lads /= happy

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

ghogie91 wrote: »
    Move into a house with 5 friends, 3 who are on the dol so they stay up all night, one who works and one thats in college
    So, the other guy is Daddy, you're Mammy, and the three lads on the dole are the kids that you'll be feeding, and probably doing the chores for?

What's in it for them; you buying stuff, you having money
    What's in it for you; lack of sleep

What may happen is that you'll be joining them on the dole when you can't deal with the job correctly, make mistakes, etc, go in hungover a few times too many if you can't turn down a party on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also remember they are there all day, using heating, probably expensive sky packages etc, and yet its split equal ways. i wouldn't go near it, you will fall out. just crash there when you want a laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Will be grand at first but you're going to lose patience soon enough

Move in with some working people
    You can call around for cans and computer games and films and more cans any evening

But it's not somewhere you want to live
    Grand when you're a student but not when you're holding down a job

And very subtly you'll be expected to buy more stuff, guilt trip laid on you as you have money and they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Thanks for the replies guys! I suppose I would be better off avoiding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've lived with mates and it was fine, but then we all worked and were fairly tidy.
    Can be great, can be a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Exactly, avoid like the plague.
    Even if you can live with the late nights of your housemates, sooner or later it will get to stage where you are going to feel agrieved and p***ed off.
    What happens when you end up paying more in bills because the others are always there, what happens when it starts being expected you contribute more to the booze or the takeaways because after all you are the only one with a job ?

Move in with other people who are working, are not in the house all day and have regular hours.
    If you want to party and hang out then visit yours friends, that way they will probably stay your friends.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

i predict alot of mooching if you moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP it sounds like a disaster in the making but that is very much dependent on the type of people they are. Like are the unemployed lads actually out looking for jobs, applying every week, etc ? Or are they just intending to rent this place and get rent allowance from the social and then just use it as a doss house ?

If it is the latter then it probably is best to avoid. But if it is the former then do think about moving in. You're young, you should go through the experience of living with close friends - if they are a good bunch the craic can be mighty and if you only call around a couple of nights a week then its likely you'll miss out on some of the best times of your life. If these lads are mates for life then you don't want to be down the pub in 10 years time when they're reminiscing 'do ya remember that night when [insert classic story]' but you weren't around for it and can only sit there and smirk. Living with mates can be some of the best times of your life but it can also be disastrous so you really need to assess their character and their motivations for moving into this place and when their intentions are to get work at some stage down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Definitely avoid. I've seen it happen a few times with friends. Unless everyone is working roughly the same schedule i.e. 9-5 Monday to Friday then it doesn't have a chance of working. Friends of mine moved into a house a few years ago, one lad was doing 9-5 and the others worked shift hours in bars and the likes so their weekend was Monday and Tuesday. It all came to a head when the 9-5 fellow had been woken one too many times at all hours on a Tuesday night. He moved out the next day and didn't talk to others for a long time. Its all forgotten about now but valuable lessons were learned.

I've also seen people fall out just because after living with their friends for a while they realise they don't like them enough to live with them, thats a whole other issue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

Definitely avoid. I've seen it happen a few times with friends. Unless everyone is working roughly the same schedule i.e. 9-5 Monday to Friday then it doesn't have a chance of working. Friends of mine moved into a house a few years ago, one lad was doing 9-5 and the others worked shift hours in bars and the likes so their weekend was Monday and Tuesday. It all came to a head when the 9-5 fellow had been woken one too many times at all hours on a Tuesday night. He moved out the next day and didn't talk to others for a long time. Its all forgotten about now but valuable lessons were learned.

I've also seen people fall out just because after living with their friends for a while they realise they don't like them enough to live with them, thats a whole other issue though.

agree totally...If you want to really know someone than live with them

Advertisement