Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Id like to buy adobe premiere CS5?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

So I was wondering if it would be a good plan to buy adobe premiere CS5 (I need to get something more recent then CS3!) and then upgrade it to CS6? Im thinking if I can get CS5 for cheap enough and do the whole upgrade thing it would maybe work out a lot cheaper then just paying loads for CS6?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If your going to be spending that much money it may be worth considering After effects instead as you'll have pretty much unlimited potential. You will come up against walls in what premiere can do and I don't know that it's all that much better than less expensive alternatives once your using it independently outside of the creative suite where compatibility between other adobe products like after effects and photoshop make it a really good choice.

After effects is much, much, much harder to get to grips with though. If your not going past basic special effects it's fine.

Upgrades are a fraction of the cost but buying second hand could cause problems as they link the software to an online account.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Willow01

ScumLord wrote: »
    If your going to be spending that much money it may be worth considering After effects instead as you'll have pretty much unlimited potential. You will come up against walls in what premiere can do and I don't know that it's all that much better than less expensive alternatives once your using it independently outside of the creative suite where compatibility between other adobe products like after effects and photoshop make it a really good choice.

After effects is much, much, much harder to get to grips with though. If your not going past basic special effects it's fine.

Upgrades are a fraction of the cost but buying second hand could cause problems as they link the software to an online account.

Yeah after effect being really complicated is kind of a problem for me like Id say down the line I do want to start using after effects but not for the moment, I was pretty happy with the free trial of premiere CS6 that I tried, it just sucks that its so exspensive :/

I dont suppose there any kind of retailer who would sell second hand but unused CS5 packages? ( yeah I get if I use someone elses it would link to their profile :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm sure there have to be copies out there on ebay, you'd always be running the risk it could be a con. Thinking about legal resellers I'd say they return any redundant software and are resupplied by the developer, but it may be worth trying commercial resellers. I know that they can recommend and continue to use older software due to compatibility issues, businesses are much more cautious when it comes to upgrading to new software platforms and can often run older software years after consumer tech has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danigirl

try a comparison site. they seem to really search multipe retailers and get you the best price. dont bother with ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cs3 is still great. Are you sure you need to update? What features are you missing from cs3 that are there in cs5 / cs6. Are you going by the fact that bigger number = better?

Spending the difference of upgrading on a computer upgrade would most likely give you a bigger boost in productivity.

• Advertisement

cs3 is still great. Are you sure you need to update? What features are you missing from cs3 that are there in cs5 / cs6. Are you going by the fact that bigger number = better?

Spending the difference of upgrading on a computer upgrade would most likely give you a bigger boost in productivity.

Well I started another thread about why the footage I was putting through CS3 was coming out alot more blurry and generally lower quaulity then before it went through premiere and the main answer I got was to try get CS5 or CS6, other people have said to me maybe its a case of my equipment being newer then my editing program, I dont really think I really need to upgrade my computer as its pretty high performance as is, its more a case of me being a bit noobish when it comes to editing :P

danigirl wrote: »
    try a comparison site. they seem to really search multipe retailers and get you the best price. dont bother with ebay

oh okay Ill give that a go! Can you reccomend any good ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

if your editing any of the new tapeless files like AVCHD etc. CS 3 wasn't designed to handle those natively. So from that pov youd need at leas CS 5.
    But unless your doing a lot of video editing (semi professional)

perhaps you might consider something like Adobe Photoshop Elements & Adobe Premiere Elements, pretty good at modest projects. I've got version 9 of these two came with a new laptop! played around with them for a while - not too bad at all.
    You should be able to pick up a copy of those fairly cheaply.
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Monkian

What features are you missing from cs3 that are there in cs5 / cs6.

Render queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Monkian wrote: »
    Render queue.
    It's nice but it isn't worth upgrading for. If the OP is just playing around with the programs, i.e. not making any money through their use then maybe an educational license would be more appropriate.

• Advertisement

Well adobe premiere elements seems pretty tempting, but Im hoping to get working on more proffesional looking projects after the summer so Im thinking the best way to go would be to try pick up premiere (it just costs so damn much!) All Im really using it for at the moment is a video blog on youtube but Im hoping to start making proper short films and music videos with a much better camera and it seems CS3 just isnt able to export the footage properly as it always comes out much lower in quality (I started another thread about that a while ago which was semi resolved hence why Im trying to pick up CS5 somewhere!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

if your gonna do it may as well just go for cs6 its the latest and greatest also if you know anyone whos a student BAM student discounts 80%off im a student and got mine for 370 but mines the web design suite. pretty sure same price for the video one

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

having owned premiere elements, premiere pro 2, premiere cs3, and premiere cs5 I find cs5 great. I had to build my machine to high spec as cs5 is optimised for 64 bit systems. It processes hd like a dream even timelines with a mixture of sources (hdv, dlsr video, etc..). Cs3 was a joke in terms of activation (harddrive failed and couldn't reinstall on new drive because I hadnt deactivated it on the other broken drive - ended up having to ring support in the uk to get a code) so I#d steer clear of that. Pro is the way to go - i bit the bullet and bought the full version a few years ago (ppro 2) and just upgrade now when needed. Not sure where you would get a cheap version of cs5 though.

Advertisement