Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50m - 100m rimfire .22 target shooting clubs fingal area

• 29-06-2012 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all

I used to shoot at school for the school team many years ago in South Africa, and am interested in taking up the sport again here in Ireland. I'm an Irish citizen now, so here's hoping I'm allowed to get a license. In the mean time, what are my options for joining a club nearby?

As in the title, I prefer 22 rimfire rifle target shooting, but am willing to settle for pistol if I have to :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Courtlough would be near you it's 185 a year [was when i was a member anyways may have changed] they do .22 rifle and clays. you may find it harder getting a licence for a pistol garda don't like them, no pistol clubs around here anyways unless you fancy a bit of a drive, and if you don't mind the drive then i would suggest harbour house in kildare i'm in lusk and it takes me 40min on the motorway. they have 25m pistol range 50m pistol range 50m rifle range and you can shoot clays and do archery if your in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fnikator

Excellent, thanks juice. Sounds like it has good facilities, whats it like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

juice1304 wrote: »
    you may find it harder getting a licence for a pistol garda don't like them.

Juice is correct, the Gardai try to discourage people from licencing pistols.

However, .22 pistols with magazines restricted to 5 shots are totally legal and you are perfectly entitled to apply for one if you want to.

There are loads of conditions attached to getting one though, such as having to be a member of a club, security arrangements etc etc but it's a great hobby.

You'll need to adhere to pretty much the same conditions though if you want to get a rifle for target shooting.

Harbour house has a 50m rifle range and two 25m pistol ranges. It also caters for archery and shotgun shooting.

www.harbourhouseshooting.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14 fnikator

Thanks for the replies. What's the competitive scene like here? I'm not super competitive, would like to get into a casual competition now and again just to measure skills more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

fnikator wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. What's the competitive scene like here? I'm not super competitive, would like to get into a casual competition now and again just to measure skills more than anything else.

There are casual enough competitions organised from time to time in most clubs and there are more competitive National competitions held throughout the year so there should be some something to suit your needs.

Once you start shooting, the person you will be most competitive with is yourself.

www.nasrpc.ie is a good place to look if you want to find out about competitions. They cater for lots of different rifle and pistol disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Depending on where in Fingal you are based, it may be as easy to head for Hilltop (just outside Newtownmountkennedy, Co. Wicklow - straight across the M50, then connecting onto the N11). I've often done DNS to Hilltop in circa 40 minutes, off peak.

Hilltop offers rifle, shotgun, pistol and archery, with plenty of fellow members and staff willing to give you a few tips along the way.

See: http://hilltopshootingsports.com/default.asp

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement