Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repainting Cast Aluminium Garden Furniture

• 29-06-2012 6:32pm

Good afternoon, I have some aluminium garden furniture that had a black finish but, after a couple of years, there's some oxidisation and general breakdown in the surface - it looks very grey and tatty.

I understand it can't simply be painted with Hammerite or similar, so is powder coating or something similar a viable solution? Or has anyone either have experience of a diy solution or knows somewhere I can get it refurbished, please??

I am, of course, assuming that we will get a chance to sit out on it sometime this decade......

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Powder Coating them will cost you more than the cost of buying 4 new chairs.

Ive had race car wheels,sequential gear shifters and roll cages powder coated before,its a great method,but it can be very pricey.

Tallaght Powder Coaters is one of the best in the business.:)

PS-B&Q are selling an outdoor patio set (table and 4 chairs) for around 50 euro this weekend.

1st come 1st served.

IMG_0326-1.jpg
    IMG_0328-1.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Aluminium needs to be etch primed before painting if you want a long lasting finish and for best results get it sandblasted or vapor blasted this will clean away any contaminants that sanding just seems to rub into the aluminium blasting also leaves an etch finish for the primer to get a good bond.

Here is an aluminium outboard I did.

DSCN9115.jpg

This is how it comes out after vapor blasting.

2012-03-15103517.jpg

Job done :D
    2012-05-11093751.jpg
    2012-05-11093809.jpg

That's astonishing - where did you get it done, please??

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

That's astonishing - where did you get it done, please??

The engine was rebuilt in my HITECH workshop :D and the vapor blasting I got done by this guy http://www.tadltd.ie/
    2012-05-09120123.jpg

My thanks to all who replied. I had the furniture vapour blasted and then powder coated by Tony of tldltd.ie. We are so pleased with the result, far, far better than when it was new. Special thanks to feargal.b

The photos were taken during the stone-splittingly hot summer we're having i.e. just after a shower and using a flash on the camera. Hence the water on the patio - we had to wipe off the furniture first!

P7240148.jpg

P7240144.jpg

• Advertisement

And a couple more piccies (please excuse the dog with a bucket over his head (don't ask!)

P7240146.jpg

P7240147.jpg

Very nice, glad it all work out for you.

Advertisement