Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The answer is........

Options
  • 29-06-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

I'm trying to help my little sister do her CAO and she will be the first to go to college in our family, I got her to do a list of what she's interested in and what she doesn't like and decided I'd post it here and get some answers from you good people

Her interests are:
    Criminal Law, Psychology, Business, Languages, Commerce, Retail.........she's interested in how people think and why people do the things they do (Sociology, Anthropology?)

She is not interested in accountancy type courses and I'd say she's not a real academic type

Also she expects do get 400 points, however, she only did pass maths (bottled it last minute)

Let me know what you think and what experiences you've had with courses related to her interests

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Big Mouth wrote: »
    I'm trying to help my little sister do her CAO and she will be the first to go to college in our family, I got her to do a list of what she's interested in and what she doesn't like and decided I'd post it here and get some answers from you good people

Her interests are:
    Criminal Law, Psychology, Business, Languages, Commerce, Retail.........she's interested in how people think and why people do the things they do (Sociology, Anthropology?)

She is not interested in accountancy type courses and I'd say she's not a real academic type

Also she expects do get 400 points, however, she only did pass maths (bottled it last minute)

Let me know what you think and what experiences you've had with courses related to her interests

Thanks in advance!

Personally, making a last minute decision, I would choose a B.A. (Arts Degree). That is a massive amount of interests you've provided above, no course is broad enough to provide all of those areas in it. If she chose a B.A. she could choose Law, a Business subject (Business/Economics), a Language and Sociology etc. In UCD you Pick up to 5 subjects in 1st year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Big Mouth

Personally, making a last minute decision, I would choose a B.A. (Arts Degree). That is a massive amount of interests you've provided above, no course is broad enough to provide all of those areas in it. If she chose a B.A. she could choose Law, a Business subject (Business/Economics), a Language and Sociology etc. In UCD you Pick up to 5 subjects in 1st year.

Sorry I should have been more clear, obviously I don't expect any course to cover all these I meant maybe somebody has done a course that relates to one or maybe two of the interests mentioned.

Also just to add she lives in Dublin (not that it really matters I suppose)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

If she chose an arts degree she would be able to do 3/4 subjects in her first year around chosen areas of interest. This way afterwards she would be able to narrow it down. Personally, I think the NUIM arts degree would be the better choice for her if she decides she would like to continue on in psychology. You mention she has an interest in people how people and why they act in certain ways so the arts degree in NUIM would allow her to do psychology, anthropology and maybe philosophy or sociology in her first year for example. If she wishes to continue on with psychology she would have to be in the top 30 of her class though.

There is also a great omnibus arts course in UCD and also in NUIG, but considering she lives in Dublin the latter probably is not a choice.

Good luck in deciding anywho!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 life after school

How did your sister fare with your decision making?

I took Anthropology as part of my degree. Fascinating subject but it requires time and consideration during college in order to find a job as the path to a job is not so obvious; unless perhaps you want to be an academic.

Advertisement