Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment on Accommodation

Options
  • 29-06-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm looking for accommodation near DCU for this coming September. I can't afford to pay by the semester (as in two installments of 2000+) so i'm looking for somewhere I can pay monthly.

I contacted Shanowen Hall and asked about this and was told to write an email explaining my situation and outlining how I plan to pay rent if allowed to pay monthly, which I did. I received an email back just saying "Unfortunately landlords do not accept payment in instalments during Semester." They didn't even consider it! I have sent a copy of the email to Shanowen Square to but haven't received a reply yet. They're the two places i'd ideally like to live.

My question is do I give up now or should I keep trying? Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone been successful?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Your best bet would be to search for private accommodation around the DCU area.
    Despite what many people say, this generally works out far cheaper than campus. There are always plenty of rooms/houses to rent around Collins Avenue/Shanowen/Upper Drumcondra for students.
    Try www.daft.ie or www.rent.ie
    If you shop around you could pick up a good size room in a house for 80/90euro per week all bills included with landlords usually collecting money every 2nd week.
    I've never heard about places like DCU/Shanowen allowing you to pay by the month generally because they are such in high demand. Although maybe you
    could keep trying but at this stage it would probably be best to try and look for accommodation elsewhere before all the good houses get snatched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

May89 wrote: »
    I'm looking for accommodation near DCU for this coming September. I can't afford to pay by the semester (as in two installments of 2000+) so i'm looking for somewhere I can pay monthly.

I contacted Shanowen Hall and asked about this and was told to write an email explaining my situation and outlining how I plan to pay rent if allowed to pay monthly, which I did. I received an email back just saying "Unfortunately landlords do not accept payment in instalments during Semester." They didn't even consider it! I have sent a copy of the email to Shanowen Square to but haven't received a reply yet. They're the two places i'd ideally like to live.

My question is do I give up now or should I keep trying? Has anyone else had this experience? Has anyone been successful?

Hey, although campus res don't have the best reputation due to their somewhat strictness, they were very helpful to me, when I was trying to sort out my accommodation at the beginning of last year. This is part of the e-mail that was sent to me after I explained I was finding it very difficult to pay the rent and deposits in one big installment:

"To confirm the room offer, there is q €300 deposit required. €330 ESB is paid together with the first rent installment. If you are not in position to pay this amount we can sign the monthly installments agreement"

You should apply to campus and also send them an e-mail to see if they will allow you to pay in monthly installments!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Cardor

May89 wrote: »

Hey, although campus res don't have the best reputation due to their somewhat strictness, they were very helpful to me, when I was trying to sort out my accommodation at the beginning of last year. This is part of the e-mail that was sent to me after I explained I was finding it very difficult to pay the rent and deposits in one big installment:

"To confirm the room offer, there is q €300 deposit required. €330 ESB is paid together with the first rent installment. If you are not in position to pay this amount we can sign the monthly installments agreement"

You should apply to campus and also send them an e-mail to see if they will allow you to pay in monthly installments!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Matthew1111

Hey am in d same boat hears 2 u Sud check out

http://www.hazelwood.ie/

http://www.dcustudentaccommodation.com/

Botanic house looks **** on d ou side bu nice on d In

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Vista255

im not sure about this, but when you have apply do you then have to pay a deposit, or can you apply and wait till you know about ur results through the CAO if you got into dcu or not to then pay the deposit or instalments .. thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Vista255 wrote: »
    im not sure about this, but when you have apply do you then have to pay a deposit, or can you apply and wait till you know about ur results through the CAO if you got into dcu or not to then pay the deposit or instalments .. thanks

A lot of the student accommodation won't keep you a place if you don't pay a deposit. I waited until after the CAO and got a place in Gateway.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Vista255

polkabunny wrote: »
    A lot of the student accommodation won't keep you a place if you don't pay a deposit. I waited until after the CAO and got a place in Gateway.

was gateway your first choice of apartments or where you lucky to get it cause you left it till after the cao?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Vista255 wrote: »
    was gateway your first choice of apartments or where you lucky to get it cause you left it till after the cao?

My first choice was Larkfield, but I got turned down for it. The main reason that the accommodation search was left until after the CAO offers was that my mum didn't believe I'd get offered a place :p
    Gateway and Hazelwood generally are the last to fill up, because they're that bit farther away. Walking to college took 15/20 minutes for me, but I didn't mind that.
    Your choice is much more limited after the CAO though, because everyone is scrambling to get places. However, some houses only open up in August or so, so there's two sides to it!

Advertisement