Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes seek divorce

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ronan keiting is a hypocrite though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If cruise & travolta & whoever else are in fact gay, why keep up the pretence all these years?
    If it is true it must be an exhausting life to lead.

Honestly, if someone's sexual orientation is going to influence an audience, one way or another, wouldn't you think they would find a different day job.

To a degree its about marketability, image, money and advancement.
    Take America alone, particularly some of this more religious southern states.
    * Now also remember that its only in the last few decades that equality for gays, etc has started to rightly gain equal position (and even now they are still struggling).
    Previous to this current era, had a previous person 'come out'. to a good deal, they would not have been marketable.
    This is why the likes of Rock Hudson (some of the younger ones here I can imagine asking to themselves "who?") and many more sadly had to very unfortunately hide their sexuality.

Many had to sadly lead a double life just to be seen as an equal, never mind as something that could rise above the average working citizen, in the area of performing arts.

sxt wrote: »
    But Why are you bringing his religion into it ? Who cares what he does or does not believe in?

Did you attack Ronan Keating for his religious beliefs When he got a divorce?

If you knew about Scientology - you wouldn't call it a religion.
    Its a tax escaping, family splitting, profit making gimmick.

...And I didn't bring religion into this thread. A poster in post 44 did.
    Have a look back.

And no, I did not attack Ronan Keating for his religious beliefs when he got a divorce.
    (By the way, I'm divorced too and re-married)

You see if you bother to actually check these things and/or my previous posts, you might note these things right.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Biggins wrote: »
    If cruise & travolta & whoever else are in fact gay, why keep up the pretence all these years?
    If it is true it must be an exhausting life to lead.

Honestly, if someone's sexual orientation is going to influence an audience, one way or another, wouldn't you think they would find a different day job.

To a degree its about marketability, image, money and advancement.
    Take America alone, particularly some of this more religious southern states.
    * Now also remember that its only in the last few decades that equality for gays, etc has started to rightly gain equal position (and even now they are still struggling).
    Previous to this current era, had a previous person 'come out'. to a good deal, they would not have been marketable.
    This is why the likes of Rock Hudson (some of the younger ones here I can imagine asking to themselves "who?") and many more sadly had to very unfortunately hide their sexuality.

Many had to sadly lead a double life just to be seen as an equal, never mind as something that could rise above the average working citizen, in the area of performing arts.
    Right, in days gone by I can understand why someone would hide it.
    But now?
    Sorry but I don't get it. Maybe I'm just being too flippant about the importance of sexuality, or declaring ones preference, but someone saying they are gay is in no way different to me saying I'm hetero. At least it's not to me.
    Now I know there will always be assholes but surely the majority think along the same lines as me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

...And I didn't bring religion into this thread.
    I don't personally give a crap that he might be gay - just that he's advocating that cult daftness.
    Thats ALL.

Ummmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

In fairness to Cruise he probably wouldn't get alpha male roles if he came out (if he's gay at all).

As for a brilliant actor? Not a ****ing hope. Play a down-and-out or someone who's severely impaired and then we can discuss his brilliance.

Cruise only chooses roles (or do the roles choose him?) where he saves the day or totally redeems himself.

As for his private life? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

never liked tom cruise hes too over the top

Watch him in Magnolia, completely changed my perception of Cruise as an actor.

Cruise only chooses roles (or do the roles choose him?) where he saves the day or totally redeems himself.

See above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Ya im thinking of getting a few dvds,bought a dvd player in tescos for fifty,got one hour photo in xtra vision for 4.99 and incredibly loud extremely close,very good films will have a look into magnolia..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

But now?
    Sorry but I don't get it. Maybe I'm just being too flippant about the importance of sexuality, or declaring ones preference, but someone saying they are gay is in no way different to me saying I'm hetero. At least it's not to me.
    Now I know there will always be assholes but surely the majority think along the same lines as me?

Stephen Gately only came out because a paper was going to publicise it - it was seen as the kiss of death for boybands. Ricky Martin was reluctant to come out too. It is often seen as a stumbling block to a celebrities' career, particularly if they are marketed to a particular gender.

Ummmm...

Here we will have to possibly differ.
    While some religions might be seen as just cults by some, I myself feel that some religions are not cults as such.

Post 44 referred and introduced the topic of "religion" - I mentioned the word "cult".
    Depending on ones own opinion, some might think they are both sides of a same coin - I don't. :)

• Advertisement

But now?

Sadly people do not think along the same lines as you or I.
    Thus many sadly have to feel that they have to hide their sexuality.
    Be it in the media area of employment, sport or every other day to day working occupation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭venividivici

Tom and Katie to get divorced..

Adele is up the duff..

Coincidence..??

..I think not!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭amacca

But now?

Not to put words in another posters mouth but I think the point being made is that although you and I any many others think that way...you may not be in the majority........ or at least there may stillbe a significant enough minority (in terms of power or influence or simply ticket purchasing power) that dont think that way still that make it less advantageous to declare your sexuality openly lest it hurt your box office

like lets say if you want to be the heterosexual leading man that quite a lot of big budget action movies have in their starring roles

But now?

Stephen Gately only came out because a paper was going to publicise it - it was seen as the kiss of death for boybands. Ricky Martin was reluctant to come out too. It is often seen as a stumbling block to a celebrities' career, particularly if they are marketed to a particular gender.
    Personally I couldn't give a ****e.

Kinda says a lot though that a thread started about a couples divorce has become a thread about sexual orientation.
    I guess people haven't moved on as much as I thought.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    See above

I'm not sacrificing my dearly held prejudices.

Forget that.

I SAID FORGET IT. :mad:

Kinda says a lot though that a thread started about a couples divorce has become a thread about sexual orientation.

Most of us don't care - but some people do. The sad fact is, celebrities are often forced to hide their sexuality in the 'interest of their career'.

For my 30,000 post, I will say "Sadly not."

All the best to all here - good debating over the 30,000 posts. :)

Most of us don't care - but some people do. The sad fact is, celebrities are often forced to hide their sexuality in the 'interest of their career'.
    If, & it's a big if, it's true its a sad life for anyone to lead, particularly in the public eye.

If, & it's a big if, it's true its a sad life for anyone to lead, particularly in the public eye.

I agree, must be a nightmare having to live a double life to appease others, especially when you don't know them.

I agree, must be a nightmare having to live a double life to appease others, especially when you don't know them.
    Its hard enough leading an ordinary life - and having people think they DO know ya! :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

If you knew about Scientology - you wouldn't call it a religion.
    Its a tax escaping, family splitting, profit making gimmick.

...And I didn't bring religion into this thread. A poster in post 44 did.
    Have a look back.

And no, I did not attack Ronan Keating for his religious beliefs when he got a divorce.
    (By the way, I'm divorced too and re-married)

You see if you bother to actually check these things and/or my previous posts, you might note these things right.

I have read your posts,
    Your right.
    I just have an intolerance for Cruise and what he stands for/advocates.

If anyone has an intolerance for gays, lesbians or anything of other sexual orientation, I frankly do NOT want to know such stupid, out of date idiots.

What he believes or does not believe in should not make you judge and jury. You don't even know the circumstances of this divorce, yet you are demonizing him for his beliefs which is wrong in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

In fairness to Cruise he probably wouldn't get alpha male roles if he came out (if he's gay at all).

As for a brilliant actor? Not a ****ing hope. Play a down-and-out or someone who's severely impaired and then we can discuss his brilliance.

Born On The Fourth Of July? Interview With A Vampire? Collateral? Magnolia? Tropic Thunder? (more of a cameo but the best part of the movie) He played a much harder part in Rain Man than Dustin Hoffman did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Here we will have to possibly differ.
    While some religions might be seen as just cults by some, I myself feel that some religions are not cults as such.

Post 44 referred and introduced the topic of "religion" - I mentioned the word "cult".
    Depending on ones own opinion, some might think they are both sides of a same coin - I don't. :)

catholicism started as a cult offshoot of christianity, all it takes it attendence and tenure to become a religion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Tom and Katie to get divorced..

Adele is up the duff..

Coincidence..??

..I think not!!!!!

Really? I thought she had given up on all men who just treat her like scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

krudler wrote: »
    catholicism started as a cult offshoot of christianity, all it takes it attendence and tenure to become a religion.

Not really an offshoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Ah Chuck, playing someone impaired doesn't make you a good actor. It has to be one of the easiest things to do. I know a few lads that can do some pretty shameless impressions. Watch Rain Man and actually look at the performances. Dustin Hoffman doesn't do jack. It has to be one of his easiest roles. Cruise on the other hand was excellent and completely overlooked because of Hoffman.
    I don't see how playing a down and out would show chops. Like acting like a bum would be taxing.

He might not agree. Everyone seems dung ho about him being gay, I'm not so sure. It's all entirely anecdotal too. If he doesn't want to tell the entire planet he's gay then more power to him.
    The point seems to be coming up that he has to hide somehow. I don't see how his sexual orientation is anyones business. I think the argument is backwards. Why shouldn't he keep to himself on personal matters?
    Now the man is married quite a while so I'll say again that I don't fully buy that he's gay but I do entertain the possibility... at the end of the day I don't care. He's a great actor and anyone that has ever worked with him has spoken highly of him.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Really? I thought she had given up on all men who just treat her like scum.

Not we just wait for the nauseating baby themed album.

Born On The Fourth Of July? Interview With A Vampire? Collateral? Magnolia? Tropic Thunder? (more of a cameo but the best part of the movie) He played a much harder part in Rain Man than Dustin Hoffman did.
    I'm not sacrificing my dearly held prejudices.

Forget that.

I SAID FORGET IT. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

What he believes or does not believe in should not make you judge and jury. You don't even know the circumstances of this divorce, yet you are demonizing him for his beliefs which is wrong in my opinion

Anyone spot the contradiction above?
    ...but before I get to that...

I don't know the details of his divorce.
    I assume all of us here never will never know the full details.

As for the contradiction' I raise, its ok for you to have an opinion about me - but its not ok for me to have an opinion about his cult?

Right! Ok!

I knock (I won't soft-heart it any other way) his org and their (what I opinionate as) their stupid, backward, twisted, money grabbing, family splitting ways.
    I do this based actually on my opinion, study over many decades of research and personal contact with ex-members.

Its still a fairly free country (compared to many others) so allow me to still retain that ability.

Not we just wait for the nauseating baby themed album.

Let me guess, the lyrics will be like ''Oh my Baby, baby, baby'' :)

Shryke wrote: »

Ah Chuck, playing someone impaired doesn't make you a good actor. It has to be one of the easiest things to do. I know a few lads that can do some pretty shameless impressions. Watch Rain Man and actually look at the performances. Dustin Hoffman doesn't do jack. It has to be one of his easiest roles. Cruise on the other hand was excellent and completely overlooked because of Hoffman.
    I don't see how playing a down and out would show chops. Like acting like a bum would be taxing.

He might not agree. Everyone seems dung ho about him being gay, I'm not so sure. It's all entirely anecdotal too. If he doesn't want to tell the entire planet he's gay then more power to him.
    The point seems to be coming up that he has to hide somehow. I don't see how his sexual orientation is anyones business. I think the argument is backwards. Why shouldn't he keep to himself on personal matters?
    Now the man is married quite a while so I'll say again that I don't fully buy that he's gay but I do entertain the possibility... at the end of the day I don't care. He's a great actor and anyone that has ever worked with him has spoken highly of him.
    I agree, his personal life isn't anyone's business. Except that there's plenty of paparazzi, silly entertainment shows & websites watching his every move.
    The price of fame I suppose.
    Anyway best of luck to him & the ex whatever happens.

Debatable and you might have a point.

A person, say still within the Catholic faith MIGHT claim that catholicism started as a moral set of ideas to bring forth some good - but was later further twisted by a later established org into something bad.

Its just a thought and open to debate - but probably not in this thread as we might be further side-tracking it. :)

Lads, I'm out of my depth here. I'm not really into movies so I'll take you guys' word for it that he's the best actor ever.
    trollface

Anyway i will leave this thread now. The consensus is Cruise may be gay, may be a nutty Scientologist, may be a bit odd...

but by God his cameo in Tropic Thunder was awesome.

• Advertisement

Lads, I'm out of my depth here. I'm not really into movies so I'll take you guys' word for it that he's the best actor ever.
    trollface

:D

Naaa... Nathan Fillion for the win!
    Go browncoats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

irish-stew wrote: »
    TLDR

But how the hell has this stayed open for 5 pages.

:eek:

@ irish-stew : betcha never thought it would get this far ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I got a bit bored with Castle. Now Slither, that is a gem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

Anyone spot the contradiction above?
    ...but before I get to that...

I don't know the details of his divorce.
    I assume all of us here never will never know the full details.

As for the contradiction' I raise, its ok for you to have an opinion about me - but its not ok for me to have an opinion about his cult?

Right! Ok!

I knock (I won't soft-heart it any other way) his org and their (what I opinionate as) their stupid, backward, twisted, money grabbing, family splitting ways.
    I do this based actually on my opinion, study over many decades of research and personal contact with ex-members.

Its still a fairly free country (compared to many others) so allow me to still retain that ability.

My opinion is that you shouldn't attack people for what they believe in , whether you agree with it or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Cruise is a great actor, in my opinion, but I've always found something very odd about his marriages.

Personally, I'm not sold on the whole gay thing. Honestly, I think the guy is more of a control freak than anything else. His devotion to Scientology certainly had an effect on his second marriage and perhaps it could also have been a mitigating factor in the break up of this one.

Watching a documentary there a while back about Scientology and the 'church' can be be very unforgiving towards family members who question or criticize the practice at all.

• Advertisement

My opinion is that you shouldn't attack people for what they believe in, whether you agree with it or not

Well your entitled to that opinion.

I will just say that if we don't speak up against what we consider or see to be wrong. then "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke).

...And I would add, that I would fight for you to maintain that your able to have an opinion - even if it was to differ many times from my own.

Delancey wrote: »
    @ irish-stew : betcha never thought it would get this far ? :D

Thank biggins. He has this way of arguing a point so vehemently and justify-ably that everyone else ends up conceding that he's probably right. He's should Tom Cruise's PR officer.

Well your entitled to that opinion.

I will just say that if we don't speak up against what we consider or see to be wrong. then "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke).

Or for the evil lads to be better armed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Hmmmmmmm, this story breaks today.

Isn't Pride Festival this weekend?

Just sayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

My opinion is that you shouldn't attack people for what they believe in , whether you agree with it or not

:confused:

I'm glad the Hitch isn't around to read that.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    :confused:

I'm glad the Hitch isn't around to read that.

RIP Hitch. Hope you found all the answers you were looking for.

What if they believe you should be killed for rejecting their beliefs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Anyone ever noticed how the careers of the women in Cruises life take off ? Nicole Kidman , Penelope Cruz and now Katie Holmes have benefitted massively from their marriages/association with him.
    Poor Mimi Rogers seems to be stuck on the made-for-TV treadmill though.

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    Thank biggins. He has this way of arguing a point so vehemently and justify-ably that everyone else ends up conceding that he's probably right. He's should Tom Cruise's PR officer.

:eek:

I probably wouldn't stand being in a room five minutes without trying to convert him over to the bight side! :D

Now maybe I should go work for the Marmar government - there's a nice bunch of lads! :D

What if they believe you should be killed for rejecting their beliefs?

:confused: wtf like! Bit of a brain twister mate

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement