Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda 50 on a M licence?

• 29-06-2012 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Can a Honda 50 be legally ridden on a M licence?

I do remember some crap a while back that even though they are 49 cc they can reach more than 45 km/h so they are not a moped.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

On a M licence you can ride the following:
    Mopeds with a maximum speed of 45kph and an engine size of 50cc or less

Info here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/categories_of_motor_vehicles_and_minimum_age_of_drivers_in_ireland.html

Top speed is 69 km/h, so NO, you can not ride one on a M licence.

Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Super_Cub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

I'm curous about something as well. I assume (although I'm not sure) an A license allows you to drive category M vehicles even if that section is blank on your license? Not that I'd ever want to anyway! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

Pedro K wrote: »
    I'm curous about something as well. I assume (although I'm not sure) an A license allows you to drive category M vehicles even if that section is blank on your license? Not that I'd ever want to anyway! :p

I would assume so, mopeds are technically motorcycles too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes. A is a catch all class as it covers everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Can you do an A License test on a Moped, say a 250? That is, is there such a thing as a A license where you can only drive twist and go bikes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

StaggerLee wrote: »
    Can you do an A License test on a Moped, say a 250? That is, is there such a thing as a A license where you can only drive twist and go bikes?

YES. Automatic only.
    BUT you will not be covered to ride any bikes with gears, and would have to do another test to be covered by your license to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Quick answer is Yes, and you'll be limited to only driving twist and go's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Quick answer is Yes, and you'll be limited to only driving twist and go's.
    Unless they forget, as happened to a friend of mine who passed his car test in an automatic!

Basically, do your bike test on a geared bike above 150cc. That way you'll be covered for anything you decide you want in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't believe that everyone is getting this wrong.

You can't do an A licence on a Moped, as has already been posted a Moped can't exceed 49cc.

You can do the A licence on a scooter once it's above IIRC 150cc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

IIRC you book the motorbike (A,A1 or M) test in the same way no matter what license you're aiming to get. What bike you turn up on the day, will determine what license and restrictions you receive should you pass

So, taking 'motorcycle test' - turn up on, and pass with:
    Automatic 125cc scooter = A1 license, restricted to automatics only
    Manual, 1000cc superbike (restricted to 25kW of course) = A license
    Automatic 49cc scooter/moped = M license, restricted to automatics only (dont believe theres any manual mopeds, so moot point)
    Manual 50cc 'sportsbike' (tzx50 for example) = A1 license
    Bored out nsr125, to 175cc = A license :P
    etc etc

The terms moped and scooter, are not interchangable, as mentioned by Del2005 - moped's are just a subset of scooters (I believe)

all the above with a grain of salt, but believe its correct

• Advertisement
Advertisement