Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is town safe at night?

• 29-06-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of guys, I'm planning to head off into town (Dublin) this evening. But is it becoming significantly less safe to do so? I mean, I don't tend to do anything particularly stupid, or go looking for trouble, but apparently places like Camden St. are just a joke in terms of how dangerous they're becoming (Eugene Moloney was murdered/killed there only last week).

So what is the story? Is it getting worse? And what areas are now no-go? :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id avoid the town area if I were you. But around town is grand!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

avoid: o connel street,westmoreland street,malborough street ,and an obvious one pearse street..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Avoid Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Avoid Dublin

Just a taaaad impractical

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Dr.Strange

Don't be such a sissy, stroll around with you chin up, your chest out and your shoulders back.

You can go anywhere with the right attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Its fine, just dont go wandering off alone, or flaunt your nice sparkly iphone.

Enjoy !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Always carry protection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I'd recommend not going outside at all.

Unfortunately, there's also a high chance you'll get attacked in your own house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,637 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Exercise common sense and get a taxi home and you'll be grand.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,280 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Cork street is fine. Especially late at night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Great weekend to be in Galway, the boats are a coming, flags and bunting up, great buzz around the place

Come whest

Leave Dublin

make sure you have someone with you when out,and another thing would be to have a sense of purpose,or look like you know where youre going,dont hang around or meander about the place,that can attract random conversation with strangers if you dont want to talk or possibly get in a row with someone intoxicated..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Exercise common sense and get a taxi home and you'll be grand.

Nightlink is always tempting (and generally grand if you just catch it) but closing time at a busstop by yourself (or even if there's other folk who you dont know) has too high a probabilty of not ending well for comfort. Sharing a taxi is great for the pocket but its a fcking drag to do a buddy system!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I believe Ireland has the least murders annually in the EU.
    Dublin is fine. Just full of junkies but they generally just ask for spare change. Tell them you have none and they move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Jesus, it's grand. If you're not looking for trouble it's very hard to find it.

but after hours at night they might get a little more brave all it takes is one time for a junkie just to be completely pissed off about their life and had it up to here yknow,it can just happen.they think you have it better then them when you could just be on welfare yourself..

i was on o connel street in limerick and i got shouted at and roared at by a junkie,and i was just minding my own business..

there getting bolder cost the gards arent watching and they know it too

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

I regularly walk home from town to sober up...(slash / I'm broke and avoid taxis). Never had any issues to be honest, one night years ago I nearly got in a fight on O'Connell street but just kept walking and he didn't follow.

I wonder about all the people that go missing that are never found..Have they been abducted or all just legged it?

Two weeks ago at about 3am I saw a guy jumping over a 20ft+ wall, from Glasnevin Cemetery. No idea what he was doing in there, nor why he didnt just walk further along and jump over the 8ft wall down the road? He walked straight toward me, on an empty road, ...I clenched my fists and kept looking at the ground and he walked by. Between that, and this media hype at the moment I'm starting to rethink my walks. Which is a shame...

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The way some of you are talking you'd think a night out in Dublin is like a night out in Kabul.

It's no better or worse than any other city. You hear of these incidents but you need to remember that only the bad stuff gets reported and thousands of people have nights out in town every night without incident.

This talk of avoid O'Connell street or Westmoreland street - total nonsense. Enjoy your night out, exercise common sense and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Is town safe at night?

Cavan town maybe, Bray town can be rough,Carlow town dont know, Dublin city, just like any other city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Don 't forget your big pink umbrella OP. Always a chance of rain :)

• Advertisement

im just speaking from my own experiences,i saw people goofed on herion in those areas,and pearse street and malborough street..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Temple Bar, Harcourt street, the pubs around Stephen's green and Grafton Street are quite safe.

Although 21's nightclub is the place to go if you're looking for a good 'ol punch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

Waterford.

NO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Whre do you have to go? It's easier to help you then.
    But generally avoid summerhill (it's not that's it bad, just has a high amount of council estates and stuff around). Town is fine for the most part. Obviously don't go down any alleys or lanes or anything even as a shortcut unless it's before about six PM. Don't be flashing your ipod/phone/etc.

O'Connell Street and around is fine till about say 1AM on weedkays. Junkies are more annoying than anything. I'd be more weary of groups of kids (around 14 or under) in the day but you can usually avoid them.
    If you plan on going out anywhere between 2AM and 4AM, get a taxi or avoid town altogether (at least O Connell Street and surronding areas)

Are you walking or busing it to most places?

Just to make it clear: Summerhill is pretty close to O'Connell Street. That's the only *bad* part of it that I know of. Other than that, just a bit of common sense. And the thing with being weary of groups of kids is just common sense, they cause a lot more trouble than junkies would. Junkies are fine, just really loud-mouthed if they get caught stealing or something. They don't normally pick fights with you if you make excuses and get away from them if they stop you.

Oh and you might spot a few people shooting up in the early morning or passed out around 9-10AM, that's completely normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Once the sun goes down, all the weirdos turn crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Live pretty close to Camden st and in fairness it has got a lot worse. You'll be grand just keep your wits about you. Also dont go around paranoid or like a bag of nerves thinking something might happen, the sort of idiots that go around looking for fights seem to be able to pick up on this.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whre do you have to go? It's easier to help you then.
    But generally avoid summerhill (it's not that's it bad, just has a high amount of council estates and stuff around). Town is fine for the most part. Obviously don't go down any alleys or lanes or anything even as a shortcut. Don't be flashing your ipod/phone/etc.

O'Connell Street and around is fine till about say 1AM on weedkays. Junkies are more annoying than anything. I'd be more weary of groups of kids (around 14 or under) in the day but you can usually avoid them.
    If you plan on going out anywhere between 2AM and 4AM, get a taxi or avoid town altogether.

Are you walking or busing it to most places?

Really? You're more worried about a group of 14 year old children in broad daylight, in the middle of one of Dublin's busiest shopping streets?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Like a lot of guys, I'm planning to head off into town (Dublin) this evening. But is it becoming significantly less safe to do so? I mean, I don't tend to do anything particularly stupid, or go looking for trouble, but apparently places like Camden St. are just a joke in terms of how dangerous they're becoming (Eugene Moloney was murdered/killed there only last week).

So what is the story? Is it getting worse? And what areas are now no-go? :pac:

o connell street is a no go area and camden street is a war zone but only if you listen to the joe duffy show

I believe Ireland has the least murders annually in the EU.
    Dublin is fine. Just full of junkies but they generally just ask for spare change. Tell them you have none and they move on.

Unless you're me. I've had one call me a prick and another one kick me in the back of the leg because I didn't give them anything. I'm now very wary of staying in the city centre after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Dublin City Centre is a dangerous sh1thole in its entirety as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

awec wrote: »
    Really? You're more worried about a group of 14 year old children in broad daylight, in the middle of one of Dublin's busiest shopping streets?
    :pac:

You need to get out more :D
    That's just from what I've seen really. Most times the junkies are going to pick fights with themselves. Skangers are going to be out a lot more since it's summer holidays so yeah, I'd be more weary of them than anything else in the middle of the day.

did anybody on this thread hear of a girl who got half her nose ripped off by some random 21 year old girl outside a pub?

atrocious and vicous behavior,she will probably only get a few months and 'rehabilitation'..sickening..

that girl has to live with half a nose for the rest of her life,the least she deserves is for the girl who did it to foot the medical bill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, you should ask in the Dublin forum.
    Since this thread has been a tad AH-fied I suggest you start a fresh thread there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement