Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepping for a flood

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

While its fresh in everyone's minds with the weather the last couple of weeks and over the last couple of years. How would you prepare for a flood in your home or how would you get home if your area was flooded ???

Personally im lucky as i live high up in my area but i still have (cant think what they are rally called) self inflating sandbags X 50 these are ideal for storing as the swell up by soaking up water they don't take up the weight of normal sand bags and no mess at all. I also have wellies for everyone and rain leggings and jacket set up beside them with a roll of duct tape (to keep the leggings taped to the wellies) plus our bug out bags and a lot of extra drinking water are also upstairs I need to sort out a couple of luggable loos just in case i need to block the toilet if the sewers back up (dry reaching just thinking about it) Looking at the size of the hail stones that hit the uk yesterday ive moved the marine ply ive cut for the sky lights up stairs just in case (and hammer and nails)

Last October when we had the flooding in Dublin I walked home from work I had my get home bag with me with an emergency poncho in it. I was still soaked to the skin by time i got home so leggings are now added with a good poncho and change of clothes are in my locker in work as I work out doors a lot
    Just interested in ideas that anyone has or what they have done
    the flood bags
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Flood-Prevention-30-x-Self-Inflating-Hessian-Flood-Bags-/250940957669?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a6d3f23e5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

We've never had a flood issue where i am, so I admit to having no particular preparations made for keeping water out of the house. however I know floods can cause water supply problems, and stored water is one thing I need to get working on, think that will be my next project.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

wow prepping for a scenario that actually happens in ireland.

the cork floods were pretty scary.
    I know that the shops on patrick street in cork Which used to flood regularly all had their electricity points very high up on the wall. If you are in a flood area I would advise chest waders rather than wellington boots I use them for surf fishing and they are pretty great, cost region €50-100.

if you plan on walking through a flood I would imagine some sort of rope would be in order in case you needed to tie yourself to something as well as a walking pole to test the ground in front of you and a waterproof flashlight.

I suppose an inflatable boat might be overkill :)

I think i remember seeing a frame for keeping the sandbag open when you are filling it
    Ideally for a home do an inventory of stuff on the ground floor and figure out what needs to be saved what probably won't be saved that way you know what you really need to bring upstairs as the water starts flowing through the letterbox.

In cork it happened at night there has to be some sort of alarm system you could get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sorted.

imagesqtbnANd9GcRH_punCTITvGtjBLTb7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

sheesh wrote: »
    wow prepping for a scenario that actually happens in ireland.

the cork floods were pretty scary.
    I know that the shops on patrick street in cork Which used to flood regularly all had their electricity points very high up on the wall. If you are in a flood area I would advise chest waders rather than wellington boots I use them for surf fishing and they are pretty great, cost region €50-100.

if you plan on walking through a flood I would imagine some sort of rope would be in order in case you needed to tie yourself to something as well as a walking pole to test the ground in front of you and a waterproof flashlight.

I suppose an inflatable boat might be overkill :)

I think i remember seeing a frame for keeping the sandbag open when you are filling it
    Ideally for a home do an inventory of stuff on the ground floor and figure out what needs to be saved what probably won't be saved that way you know what you really need to bring upstairs as the water starts flowing through the letterbox.

In cork it happened at night there has to be some sort of alarm system you could get.
    The "sandbags" are prefilled check out the link above for more info on them
    Rope chest waders and the hiking pole are great ideas to add
    Ive seen small battery alarms that you put beside your washing machine im sure these would work for floods also ill see if i can find the link again to post it
    The weather is getting stranger and stranger each year even countries that had set seasons are now getting Irish seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

One day I was walking through a flood with a pair of wellies on, it was all grand but just at the deepest section of the flood there was less than 1" of welly left above the water this one car decided to chance it so I looked behind me and seen a wave of water created by the car making its way over to me slowly

De ould wife of the fella driving the car was shouting Sorry from out the window but that didn't stop the water getting in

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

making sure you know how water will get into the house... as well as the door there are airbricks, vents, drain pipes and such like which have to be blocked or managed somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

A lot of places regularly get flooded around here, they have a neat little system in place for doors and windows, you get a metal channel all the way round and then you can just drop in some boards and inflate a tube attached to the edge for a very quick water barrier.

I'll see about finding a link to them.

Check out floodgateireland.com for something along those lines

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    A lot of places regularly get flooded around here, they have a neat little system in place for doors and windows, you get a metal channel all the way round and then you can just drop in some boards and inflate a tube attached to the edge for a very quick water barrier.

I'll see about finding a link to them.

Check out floodgateireland.com for something along those lines
    Some great items on that link im going to invest in the vent ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Judging by the recent TV flood reports, a tip might be is not to buy a house near a rat run or on a main road. Anyone else notice the idiots driving their 4x4s through the floods creating a tidal wave effect that washed into peoples houses and gardens.

• Advertisement

Here is OPWs Flooding page
    http://www.flooding.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

grapeape wrote: »
    Here is OPWs Flooding page
    http://www.flooding.ie/en/

lol @ polish option. havn't seen that before on an irish govt site

Advertisement