Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Custom build wireless issue

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm currently having a problem with the wireless internet on my new custom build.

I was using the ASUS PCE-N150 wireless card. I get full bars but it kept disconnecting. I updated the latest drivers and reinstalled the device but internet access was very poor.
    So I bought the netgear N150 wireless adapter and the connection never drops however that gives 2mb down .02mb up where as my laptop right next to it gives 11mb down and 3 mb up. Trying to download from any sites to the desktop give a max download speed of 190kb.

I'm at a loss of what to check next.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Is the desktop oriented with the antennas in an enclosed area? What speed are you connecting at? b/g/n?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

I changed the wireless channel ...no joy.

I ended up hauling my computer to the router and connected it directly through ethernet. I disabled the wireless and still only getting 2mb download on speedtest. I did the same with my laptop and got 31mb down. So that rules the wireless issue.

I updated all the drivers.
    Changed duplex to 100mb full in the ethernet advanced settings.

I'm guessing its an ethernet lan issue? Or some issue effecting the overall transfer of data somewhere.

Anyone have any idea at all?

Is your desktop particularly slow outside of network?
    I had one PC that was getting poor speedtest results but it was just down to the PC itself being low spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Sols12

Well it shouldn't be slow I've spent 1600 on it.

I have an ASUS P77 Extreme 4 motherboard
    i5 2500k cpu
    64gb ssd

scored 7.5 on microsoft rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats really strange. Are you sure its not measuring MBps over wire?(that'd be close to right).

Is this all in one browser? Try another maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

I presume you have checked for conflicting IP addresses and correct DNS settings?

If not , would be worth checking and maybe even set a static IP address on the NIC you are using.

Definitely not the computer speed holding you back then. Another thing to check is just to try another site. Speedtest isn't always accurate. Go to heanet and start a download on a few linux ISOs. If you can select different servers, that's better or any other fast download sites. Run them all for about 2 minutes and see if you get better speeds.

Advertisement