Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girl got half her nose ripped off in dublin

Options
  • 29-06-2012 8:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

''A YOUNG young woman underwent intensive surgery today after having part of her nose bitten off in a gruesome and unprovoked attack.
    And in a separate incident, another girl had to be put into a medically induced coma after she was punched at a club in the city centre.
    Gardai were today appealing for help in tracking down two women believed to be behind a vicious attack which resulted in a young Dublin woman having part of her nose ripped off.
    They are particularly interested to talking to taxi drivers who may may picked up the women.
    The 22-year-old victim was outside a pub on Tara Street in the early hours of Sunday morning when another female reveller randomly trapped her in a head lock and bit off her right nostril.
    Headlock
    The victim, known as Aoife, revealed that surgeons will perform a skin graft from her forehead in a bid to heal her nose.
    "She (the attacker) was obviously off her face on something because she was about five foot two, and the strength of her, she had the strength of a fella," she told Joe Duffy's Liveline.
    "She had me by the hair. It was like she had me in a headlock, kind of, and she bit onto my nostril and kind of shook her head side to side and ripped the right side of my nose.
    "I'm going to be left with a scar on my face, my face isn't going to be the same. They're taking a skin graft on my forehead so I'm going to be left with a scar on my forehead."
    Meanwhile, senior medical sources have expressed alarm at the level of incidents.
    They warned that weekend violence in the capital is spiralling out of control.
    "Doctors and nurses are blown away by what we're seeing," one source explained.
    "Friday and Saturday nights are just hell in A&E. The level of violence and serious incidents we are dealing with is just astounding."
    Staff at St James's Hospital -- the busiest in the city -- treated a young woman who was put into an induced coma after being attacked.
    A hospital insider told the Herald: "A young girl was brought in after she'd been out in town. She was trying to get through a crowd in a pub and one girl punched her, and I believe she retaliated and then another girl punched her back."
    "She had to be put into a medically induced coma and brought to intensive care."
    Sources at a series of hospitals said staff had to deal with a spate of other unprovoked attacks over the weekend.
    One source said that Dublin city is a mecca of drink and drug- fuelled violence -- with staff struggling to cope with the level of casualties.
    However another source said that violence was "no longer confined" to weekends, adding that frontline staff were on guard all week.
    Bottled
    "It's not confined to Saturday nights. It happens from Wednesday nights onwards. And the amount of stuff that happens that you wouldn't even hear of is unbelievable.
    "Ten years ago if someone told me they'd been punched for nothing, I wouldn't believe them. But now people are getting punched and bottled for nothing. There's a spate of attacks happening."
    Chairman of the HSE Dublin North East, Christy Burke, said hospitals can "barely cope" with the violence on our streets.
    "It's just reached unprecedented levels and it's bordering on crisis-point at times," he told the Herald.''

http://www.herald.ie/news/woman-has-part-of-nose-bitten-off-in-horror-attack-3151864.html

heard this on the joe duffy show the other day,(there is also a link in the herald)..i was watching prime time yesterday and heard about a guy who got stabbed in finglas who was paralysed,the guy(who was the perpatrator) jumped country to england was caught some years later,and the judge adjourned the case,is this justice in ireland,where do the victims come into a court case?.

what do people think of this,and is it becoming more common?do you know of anybody who has been attacked,or were you on a night out yourself as a victim of an attack?have you ever been part of a fisti cuffs?and what do you think should be done about it..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I remember hearing all this years ago. Must be the "in" thing to complain about now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

okay...ill start the ball rolling,i dont think that the justice system is geared towards the care of the victim or the victims families,its all about the perpatrator and how they are feeling,prison is too soft for them,im not advoctating the death sentence either,but i think they should do work for free and get no allowance which they are entitled to have..

the system is not a deterrernt to people who are thinking about committing a random act of violence or those with a long list of convictions for assault/GBH,rape,murder,manslaughter and so on..

the guy who was paralysed from the stabbing incident for example will probably only get a suspended sentence anyway and some rehab.is that really a fair system,is it justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

okay...ill start the ball rolling,i dont think that the justice system is geared towards the care of the victim or the victims families,its all about the perpatrator and how they are feeling,prison is too soft for them,im not advoctating the death sentence either,but i think they should do work for free and get no allowance which they are entitled to have..

the system is not a deterrernt to people who are thinking about committing a random act of violence or those with a long list of convictions for assault/GBH,rape,murder,manslaughter and so on..

the guy who was paralysed from the stabbing incident for example will probably only get a suspended sentence anyway and some rehab.is that really a fair system,is it justice?

But you're posting in a forum about Dublin city, I'm from Dublin.. my family are from the city centre.. I work in the city, travel through it each day.
    You started rattlin' on about Dublin and then start shiting on about crime and justice.And guess what, the first house I bought was in Finglas , the OH's from there.
    No doubt , you'll start about about addicts soon.

Which piece of paradise are you from ?

The attack happened to be in dublin - this is not a RANT ABOUT DUBLIN - READ THE THREAD AGAIN - ITS ABOUT LACK OF JUSTICE AND THE ATTACKS I HEARD ABOUT RECENTLY..

IF THIS WAS ABOUT DUBLIN I WOULD HAVE OFFERED AN OPINION ON IT..

TAKE YOUR AXE TO GRIND ELSEWHERE!

The attack happened to be in dublin - this is not a RANT ABOUT DUBLIN - READ THE THREAD AGAIN - ITS ABOUT LACK OF JUSTICE AND THE ATTACKS I HEARD ABOUT RECENTLY..

TAKE YOUR AXE TO GRIND ELSEWHERE!

Why post in a thread about Dublin ?

• Advertisement

A mod suggested it - if that offends you theres always other threads you can post on..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

This hyperbole about Dublin being a warzone has to stop. These things happen in every city.

CSO figures released today show assaults are down 8.7% and murders 22% - this fact is continually ignored by the media.

no,i dont think dublin is a warzone,ya the media have ramped it up quite a bit recently,theres always fist fights or something going on in every town and city i agree with that.

i started this thread to see what peoples thoughts on particularly our justice system are?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

i started this thread to see what peoples thoughts on particularly our justice system are?

Is it the Dublin justice system you are interested in? ;) As far as I know, the alleged biter has been caught by diligent detection.

I'd imagine most Dubliners are filled with sympathy and admiration for Aoife Flood for going public and prompting a rapid response from the Gardai. I'd say we are all hoping for a quick painless recovery for the girl along with a harsh and suitable punishment for the attacker.

Why do you want to know our thoughts regarding the justice system if it hasn't hit the courts yet is beyond me, but here you go..

Regarding the courts system, as a Dubliner, I was pleasantly surprised to see Fred Forsey getting six years and was a bit disapointed to see the Quinns get a non-custodial sentence, I'm sickened that Gerald Barry was out and about in Galway to rape and kill a young Swiss student when he was on bail for previous crimes... I could go on, is that what you wanted to hear as a Dubliners view on our justice system?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've lived in Dublin for almost 20 years now, everywhere from Gardiner Street to Ballsbridge, and now live in Swords.

I used toddle up to the chipper at 2am from Gardiner Street when I lived there.
    I've once felt fear, and it was when someone running past me, walloped into me and I thought I was being mugged, and I fell and suffered an injury, they ran on.

I would class Dublin as one of the nicest places to live in, good people, relatively good manners, helpful, and proud of where they live.

I'm delighted this girl has spoken out, I do think crimes like this need to be called out, but if the community spoke out on this and it lead to an arrest, I'd love to see the same happening in the likes of London etc

• Advertisement

Yeah the gerald barry case was shocking,he had a string of convictions behind him,before he was let on to murder that young swiss student..Ive been to the courts in my local town as a young girl some years back,as a witness to an assault,and the queues there of defendants pleading guilty to get a few years off was off the scale quite literally not one did plead otherwise(but i suppose at least they plead guilty)..

Its also shocking the amount of people who get off on suspended sentences,it must really frustrate the gardai,as it undermines their good work when they catch these criminals..

as far as white collar crime goes,i think there all off the hook there,i havent seen them all brought to trial enron style..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

what do people think of this,and is it becoming more common?do you know of anybody who has been attacked,or were you on a night out yourself as a victim of an attack?have you ever been part of a fisti cuffs?and what do you think should be done about it..?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Loads (I'm a bouncer).

4. Bigger Garda presence on the streets, tougher policing.

Finally, the Dublin City Forum isn't where we discuss the short comings of the courts etc etc.
    ITS ABOUT LACK OF JUSTICE AND THE ATTACKS I HEARD ABOUT RECENTLY..

Try keeping the topic related to the incident in the OP (I only heard about it last night). Discussing the justice system can be done over on the Legal Discussion Forum I guess but not here.

I'm undecided about letting this thread run, but lets play ball for the moment and see how this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Tusky wrote: »
    This hyperbole about Dublin being a warzone has to stop. These things happen in every city.

CSO figures released today show assaults are down 8.7% and murders 22% - this fact is continually ignored by the media.

I hear this from Dubliners and having lived in Dublin for over a decade, I think it is complete delusion. Other cities of similar size like Amsterdam or Munich in no way have the level of hostility that is simply "on the street" in Dublin, which open drug dealing, and threatening behaviour on the trams.

It certainly does not happen in every city. Dublin and it's equivalent UK city Liverpool share very similar agression at night.

n900guy wrote: »
    I hear this from Dubliners and having lived in Dublin for over a decade, I think it is complete delusion. Other cities of similar size like Amsterdam or Munich in no way have the level of hostility that is simply "on the street" in Dublin, which open drug dealing, and threatening behaviour on the trams.

It certainly does not happen in every city. Dublin and it's equivalent UK city Liverpool share very similar agression at night.

I can't argue with you because I,ve never lived anywhere else or than Dublin, so I'm assuming you've lived in the cities you mentioned.. Dublin city centre is without doubt not for the faint hearted with associated anti social behaviour including drug use , but its a large city with a lot of people living in it or close to it and you are going to see all sorts of behaviour... .

I work in the city centre as does my wife and most of my extended family,if it was that dangerous .. I'd be long gone , I'm a coward.Right now as I post five members of my are working in O Connell street in various business etc.

If you were to pay attention to some of the posts about Dublin, you end up thinking its some sort of post apocalypse world inhabited by zombies.

To put it in perspective.. the OP took an extremely violent incident ,possibly one of the worst imaginable and combined with another that actually occurred nine years ago in Finglas.Sensationalist stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

n900guy wrote: »
    I hear this from Dubliners

What, correct CSO figures that prove assaults and murders are down?

Dublin is a safe city, you are the one that's deluded if you think other cities don't have an underbelly like Dublin, they do, just cause you didn't see them on your weekend city break doesn't mean they don't exist.

mattjack wrote: »
    To put it in perspective.. the OP took an extremely violent incident ,possibly one of the worst imaginable and combined with another that actually occurred nine years ago in Finglas.Sensationalist stuff.

Its not 'sensationalist stuff',these events did take place,they could have been in ANY part of ireland..If anything youre trying to get this thread closed..Im not here to start an argument over dublin,as my opinion if you want it,is that crime can happen anywhere in any town in any city.The reason why i brought this up is because..These were incidents i mentioned off the top of my head,because i was watching prime time the other night and they were discussing that particular case,also i was listing to the joe duffy show and was shocked by the whole incident,it in turn got me thinking about our justice system or lack of seriousness in it when it comes to crimes like this..usually the perpetrators get short senetences,i would just like to remind all boardsies reading this that this is not a rant about dublin,i posted in the dublin forum on advice of a mod..Although i would like to stick to the topic of the subject as previously,and would be intereseted to know did anybody else hear of it,or know of incidents that occured where they are,have they been part of an assault,either perpetrator or victim and what did they make of the outcome on a personal level..

Its not 'sensationalist stuff',these events did take place,they could have been in ANY part of ireland..If anything youre trying to get this thread closed..Im not here to start an argument over dublin,as my opinion if you want it,is that crime can happen anywhere in any town in any city.The reason why i brought this up is because..These were incidents i mentioned off the top of my head,because i was watching prime time the other night and they were discussing that particular case,also i was listing to the joe duffy show and was shocked by the whole incident,it in turn got me thinking about our justice system or lack of seriousness in it when it comes to crimes like this..usually the perpetrators get short senetences,i would just like to remind all boardsies reading this that this is not a rant about dublin,i posted in the dublin forum on advice of a mod..

OK,Christmas, you started off talking about Dublin incidents and then veered off talking about justice.

A Mod has already closed the thread without me prompting him and then reopened it.

I enjoy your posts, certainly don't want your thread closed.

Robert Slator was sentenced to twelve years for that attack in Finglas, not a short sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm undecided about letting this thread run, but lets play ball for the moment and see how this goes.

I was going to close it until I saw your post. :)

I hope it doesnt get closed,i think it would be a great pity,as i would be interested to hear what people think of the subject as posted..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Someone has been arrested and is being questioned in relation to the incident in the original post.

• Advertisement

Will have to look that up thanks,i hope they get a few years for it,not like a couple of months,lets hope that girls criminal record follows her around like a very bad smell,its the least the perpetrator of that vicous attack deserves..

Update:

''A woman has been arrested over an attack in Dublin city centre in which another woman had part of her nose bitten off.

The 22-year-old victim, named as Aoife Flood, went public this week after the assault outside a pub on Tara Street in the early hours of Sunday.

She underwent surgery on Wednesday.

A 21-year-old suspect was detained on Friday morning, gardai said. She was being questioned in Pearse Street station under section four of the Criminal Justice Act.

The assault occurred on Burgh Quay at about 2.30am on June 24.

The victim was put in a headlock and struggled, with one of her attackers punching her at least once before she had part of her nostril bitten off.

Gardai said statements were taken from the injured woman and a number of other witnesses after the attack was reported on Sunday. CCTV footage was also recovered.

Officers issued descriptions of two women in the wake of the incident. One was about 5ft 3in, of slim build, with long black hair, wearing a white T-shirt and black jeans.

The second was said to be slightly taller and heavier in build with her hair tied up in a bun. She had been wearing a black cardigan and purple top.''

for more..

http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/woman-held-over-nose-bite-attack-3153699.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Tusky wrote: »

But FEAR of crime is up 80%

[/dara o'brien misquote]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

The stats going down are just reported crimes / incidents.
    What about the unreported crimes?
    With less Gardai and many having the opinion the Gardai simply can't follow up / solve certain cases, I reckon the real figures are going up.
    In my opinion, I'm seeing a lot more bad stuff happening on our streets these days than ever before.
    Back to the poor girl - I hope she recovers ok. The horrific nature of a lot of these crimes that makes the front pages is very worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭nunn351

A 21-year-old woman, who was arrested in connection with an assault on another woman in Dublin city centre last weekend, has been released without charge

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0630/assault.html

Just had a read of it there,lets hope this whole thing gets sorted out,and that person is caught,if that is the suspect that just got away thats an awful shame for it to happen,lets hope they charge the two girls who took part in the assault..

I hope their record follows them around aswell,and they get a few years for their deed and not a couple of months with the last few suspended,as what happens in a lot of assault cases.

I wouldnt want to work alongside someone with assault convictions and a bad attitude problem,last thing anybody would need,these people should suffer that blemish on their record for the rest of their life,as that girl who got her half her nose done,has to live with that for the rest of her life,and the scarring is a constant reminder.

I think it took a lot of courage for the victim of that horrifc attack aoife to come on national radio and tell her story,she said also about her nose,that she would have to get skin grafted from her forehead,so she will be left with a scar on her forehead,and obviously her nose(if they can construct it,and it takes)..

havent heard anything on it since has anybody else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

haven't heard anything on it since has anybody else?

It was an assault OP, And unfortunately all to common in any populated ares around Ireland,Unless your the victim or family & friends of the victim most people carry on with there own lives and forget about it,PS sure even the Murder of Eugene maloney & the Pensioners murder in Donegal last week has slipped most peoples minds.

ya but all the same it would be good to find out in the interest of public safety this loon whoever she is shouldnt be allowed to see the light of day for a good couple of years and a prison record to follow her around..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

ya but all the same it would be good to find out in the interest of public safety this loon whoever she is shouldn't be allowed to see the light of day for a good couple of years and a prison record to follow her around..

As far as I can gather a person was arrested and a file is being sent to the DPP, and they will decide if there is enough evidence to prosecute or not,That's the way it works and not the way the Evening herald would like it to happen as they are only interested in selling newspapers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement