Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being a vegetarian in ireland

Options
  • 29-06-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I am german and I moved to ireland in 2008 to get out of "busy busy germany" with its rude and unfriendly people. Yeah, the germans are efficient and know how to run a country and its economy, but they still haven't figured out how to create a peaceful and friendly environment everybody can live with. Anyway, I am not here to complain about the my home country, but to ask you for help ;-)

I love ireland - from the bottom to the top and back, but what I don't like is the food quality. I have never experienced worse quality of mother nature's products :(( and I have been living in germany, austria, switzerland, and luxemburg )

Cucumber with a bitter taste, tasteless and orange coloured tomatoes,and some more things to name at this point, but I am certain that this isn't necessary...you might have experienced similar.

When I am talking with friends, I always tell them: "Irish people are proud and very patriotic, but there are 3 things they cannot be proud of:

1. The food quality
    2. Waste management issues across the entire country
    3. Their football team( ....ok, they did well against italy )"

Execpt the english market in Cork city, is there any other location to buy fresh and organic grown vegetables in the Cork area ? I would even pay to have vegetables delivered from another county as I am very tired of the neverending story with "buy it today. throw it in the bin tomorrow".

Cheerio from Cork,

Dan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

It's a liitle bit out of Cork city but http://www.gortnanain.com/ produce some the finest vegetables I've ever eaten anywhere. They really supply local restaurants but may be able to provide a regular box by arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Lidl does organic vegetables. And just ladt week I picked up plum tomatoes there that were actually tasty. It was a bit of a surprise, as it is very hit and miss.

I had to smile a little reading your post, I could have written the same, word for word. I'm a German vegetarian living in Cork as well, and I've despaired about the vegetables numerous times.

The English market will be best for the varity of veg on offer, I don't know of anywhere in Cork that would come close.
    There are a few famer's markets around, there's one in Mahon Point on Thursdays, but if you work during the day they're next to impossible to get to.

The Quay Coop on Sullivan's Quay usually has some veg, but I can't say how good or bad that is, as I've never tried it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

You must have been in a different part of Germany than I was. Stuttgart cuisine is largely Swabian, which definitely is not vegetarian friendly. Or friendly to anyone without an iron stomach I reckon. There are loads of places to eat - but it's all pub grub or convenience food type places. Hardly any restaurants for a nice dinner out.

Also the people were really nice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

You must have been in a different part of Germany than I was. Stuttgart cuisine is largely Swabian, which definitely is not vegetarian friendly. Or friendly to anyone without an iron stomach I reckon. There are loads of places to eat - but it's all pub grub or convenience food type places. Hardly any restaurants for a nice dinner out.

Also the people were really nice there.

I've never been to Stuttgart, but a quick search on google comes up with around 10 dedicated vegetarian restaurants?

Advertisement