Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleeping patterns in infants

Options
  • 29-06-2012 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

What are the various techniques you use/used for your baby that worked for you?
    I'm still experimenting myself but my baby seems pretty good at night.
    Something weird is happening though, would like to know if other people are in the same situation: baby is 6 weeks now and if I put her in bed as she is falling asleep around 9:30 pm, she will wake up, try to suck her fist and twist and turn for aaaaaages. She lets out a little scream once in a while. It's like the crying it out routine without the crying! I feel bad letting her move around like that, I wonder if it stresses her out and if it does the same as crying...
    Luckily usually I am more successful in putting her down and she's so sleepy that she'll only do that for 20 minutes. Tonight for instance she's been doing it for almost an hour! Not a peep out of her though...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

J does pretty much the same things some nights but I don't go to him unless he cries or becomes distressed other than that it's just his way of putting himself to sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

She fell asleep after about an hour! No crying! I'm amazed but kind of sad at the same time, I hope it's not too distressing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I found the better J became at putting himself to sleep the less he tossed & turned when put down. If she's not crying I'd say she's fine, it is hard to listen to sometimes but you have to remember that you are teaching her a great life skill by being able to fall asleep by herself :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think if she's not crying she is fine... The twisting about is making themselves comfy, like puppies do when they are small. Just making a little nest.

I am not a fan of letting them cry, that is clearly stress for them, but I wouldn't worry if they are just rolling about.

Oh, and maybe a soother would be nice for her? Some easier to suck on than a fist.

<pwurple, I tried the soother for weeks, she doesn't take it. She has a tongue-tie so that's probably part of why she can't keep it in. I tried different ones too, the only time I put her to sleep with one is when I was holding it in! I wasn't going to do it for an hour! lol. I think eventually she'll find her thumb, I know it's probably worse than a soother but until I figure out this tongue thing that's all I can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I was thinking the same thing. my lil woman does the same or lies there laughing at her mobile (obviously not distressed) but eventually falls asleep. I suppose were all the same, dont just fall asleep when head hits the pillow. takes a while to get comfy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oops sorry lounakin, yes you said that about the soother in another thread. I'm struggling to keep up!

If she doesn't cry, i'd say you're fine. She will let you know when she needs something. Try to get some sleep yourself.

Babies are noisy wee things when they sleep. Snuffling and flapping and the odd squawk.

Lol Pwurple!! By the way, no need to apologise, I would never expect someone to remember things between different threads! There are so many of us...

Advertisement