Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much money do you spend in a week?

• 29-06-2012 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

Got a job, with a lot of hours so planning my future investments(my first paycheck is just gonna be like me being my own personal Santa, 350 quid on whatever I want)

But how much in general would you save? Give to your parents? Spend on yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

None at the moment, living at home, working on our farm so the pay is just a cheque in September, and food and keep of course. My living expenses would be tiny though, I spend nothing on clothes really, don't really go out at all during the summer and don't drive yet, so the expenses for the parents are food and a small bit of petrol, so fairly small.
    My parents insist on supporting us until we're working full-time ourselves, then I fully expect to pay them back, even though they'd probably try to refuse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Give to your parents?
    Give money to my parents? :confused: I think you're confused, you see they give money to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Lawliet wrote: »
    Give to your parents?
    Give money to my parents? :confused: I think you're confused, you see they give money to me
    It's fairly typical to give a portion of your income to your parents. I mean FFS they pay for everything for you.

Gumbi wrote: »
    It's fairly typical to give a portion of your income to your parents. I mean FFS they pay for everything for you.
    Relax, I was clearly joking

Lawliet wrote: »
    Relax, I was clearly joking
    I am relaxed :) and I fail too see how it was clear, I'm sure quite a few teens feel that way.

• Advertisement

I am relaxed :) and I fail too see how it was clear, I'm sure quite a few teens feel that way.
    Oh well, I thought the obnoxious self entitlement combined with the smilie was sufficiently sarcastic.

Anyway I tend to spend about 20 euro a week, less if I can get away with it. All my money goes on food, bills and occasionally transport. If I had money, I'd try and be boring and save it, but inevitably blow it all on sweets and comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I give €200 a month to my mum, if not more depending on how much I get. I save the majority of what I earn every month, leaving myself with about €50 a week for transport, food, maybe the odd night out although they're very rare with the hours I work.

This month I saved about 75% of my wages. My savings go towards paying my college fees and for my holidays. I've always been a big saver. I don't know whats going to happen in the next year so I'd prefer to save most of what I earn now for a later time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Started my summer job almost three weeks ago and I'm spending around 40 a week on transport/food but I haven't actually been paid yet so things are a bit awkward...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

So nobody out there going on mad spending sprees nah? Dang, feel so consumerist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Are you waiting for someone to ask you what you've bought lately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

So nobody out there going on mad spending sprees nah? Dang, feel so consumerist.

I went mad the other day and bought four Freddos. No regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

I went nuts and spent 66 euro on clothes the other day! Thinking of doing something similar tomorrow...

Usually 20 euro a week on lunches when I'm in town and buses. Since I got a job I've been able to save a good bit, saving between half and two thirds of what I earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I save most of my money. Spend some on games, books, clothes maybe...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I work in a poorly paying job, getting nowhere near enough hours a week, and I spend most of my wages on nights out or chocolate flavoured things. I did spend over a grand in a week when I replaced my bike (stolen) and laptop (banjaxed) but otherwise I don't spend too much. Maybe €100 over the course of a week. I help out with the gardening, shopping, cooking and cleaning at home so my parents haven't kicked me out yet. Yet...

Hopefully come September I can go back to charging students silly money for Irish grinds. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

My attitude is to give

100 quid to rents a week
    save 100(long term) 50(short term-future investments)
    and then use the rest of the money for doing stuff so be like at least 100 quid

Well actually at the start i'll prob just save like 75 quid and spend the rest on clothes and might buy fifa 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

I've been trying to save my money since I started back at work this summer but I haven't racked up as much as I would have hoped.

Spent a lot of money this week going up to Dublin to see RHCP plus accommodation, transport, food, booze.. So managed to spend my whole weeks wages anyway! :pac:

Usually give my parents a few quid whenever they need it. They don't ask for much but I like to help out when I can..

Oh I completely blew my first months wages. After that I started saving. Also being paid monthly is horrible :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    Oh I completely blew my first months wages. After that I started saving. Also being paid monthly is horrible :(

Ah you get used to it quick enough. The 1st month or 2 is always IM RICH!.....then a week later. Im poor :(

Ah you get used to it quick enough. The 1st month or 2 is always IM RICH!.....then a week later. Im poor :(

Yeah true. At this stage I'm used to it, although now that I'm doing full time hours and getting more an hour, I'm going to need to adjust again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

Being unemployed this summer, I try my best to keep as much of the 30 euro my parents give me. Fail to do so most weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Life is too short to save! The only saving I do is when the remainder of my wages(after rent, food etc) can't cover the next thing I want to try(eg. learning to drive)/buy.

I plan to once I'm in a full time job, after college, to probably buy some kind of property fairly early and rent it out, but that's just a plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Life is too short to save! The only saving I do is when the remainder of my wages(after rent, food etc) can't cover the next thing I want to try(eg. learning to drive)/buy.

I plan to once I'm in a full time job, after college, to probably buy some kind of property fairly early and rent it out, but that's just a plan!
    Have you looked at anything of what caused the financial crisis we're in? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Have you looked at anything of what caused the financial crisis we're in? :confused:

I think he meant build several properties, or perhaps estates, preferably in a tiny village or on an island. The banks can lend him all the money he needs for this. 'Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭anirishlad

Im 16 and currently unemployed so basically to go out and stuff i just save all my money from my birthdays and christmas. Might have a small chance of a job somewhere local but apart from that everywhere ive asked for a job has been like this "Sure drop in your cv and if somebody goes we'll ring you" and i know there is no chance of getting a job there :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Like I dunno, twenty a week for transport and food, and then whatever money I need to finance my plans. I've had a job for the last few months now, I saved most of my wages while I was working during the school year because, what with only being free one day a week which was needed for homework/study, I had next to nothing to actually spend my money on bar the aforementioned food and transport. Now that it's summer, I have a lot more free time and more things to spend my money on, so I don't save nearly as much but hey, I'm having fun so it's all good!

Saving is actually really important to me though,I don't even spend much money on clothes/make-up/other materialistic items. I care more about being able to pay for going places and doing stuff with friends and that sort of thing really, so I don't mind spending money on that, but I really want to make the progression to college as easy as possible so having the cúpla euro saved should come in very handy someday. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Buy to rent market is very stable(and will continue to be) especially if you focus on an area that has students, it means guaranteed income for 9 months of the year.

I obviously wouldn't consider something like this if I didn't think it through. The area I'll be employed in, is in a very strong position at the moment with a fairly decent starting wage and a lot of room for raises/promotions. The property market is at a low point, If I buy something in the next 2-3 years I'll probably save 30-40% If I wait till 10 years down the line.

I'm amused by the silly responses actually, was there really a need for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

'Bout three fiddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

I work in a poorly paying job, getting nowhere near enough hours a week, and I spend most of my wages on nights out or chocolate flavoured things. I did spend over a grand in a week when I replaced my bike (stolen) and laptop (banjaxed) but otherwise I don't spend too much. Maybe €100 over the course of a week. I help out with the gardening, shopping, cooking and cleaning at home so my parents haven't kicked me out yet. Yet...

Hopefully come September I can go back to charging students silly money for Irish grinds. :pac:

I had to do something similar during the week.
    400 euro deposit for rent, 100 euro to my dad, 180 to fix my laptop, and have to pay my dad 160ish euro this month for flights to holland.

Good thing I don't go out. :(

The grinds will probably save you ^^ Lots of moola to be made there.

Unfortunate about your bike :/ Was the lock cut? Did you have one? Is it worth getting it insured? Bike theft is so feckin' common is all. I had my tyres stabbed twice for no reason. Try to avoid locking it up on the street in town if you can.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They worked out very nicely last semester anyway. :)
    Unfortunate about your bike :/ Was the lock cut? Did you have one? Is it worth getting it insured? Bike theft is so feckin' common is all. I had my tyres stabbed twice for no reason. Try to avoid locking it up on the street in town if you can.

The bike thing was entirely my fault. I cycled to work and forgot to bring it into the storage room. It was probably gone within half an hour, but it was only six hours later that I thought of it. :o Taking much better care of the new one though.

They worked out very nicely last semester anyway. :)

The bike thing was entirely my fault. I cycled to work and forgot to bring it into the storage room. It was probably gone within half an hour, but it was only six hours later that I thought of it. :o Taking much better care of the new one though.
    Ah :/ Small chance it might've popped up on donedeal if it was a nice model, but it's probably not even worth checking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My weekly spends varies hugely depending on the week.this week my parents were away so I spent most evenings with my friends but I still only spent around 60 though other weeks i can easily spend 100 euro on a night out and I could be out all weekend.Id say on average I spend about 150 in a week,most likely on food,petrol and books.

Advertisement