Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mystery canoe

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

I have a canoe i bought about 12 years ago at a charity auction.
    i left it in the shed and forgot about it,untill i decided to clean the shed out.
    so i decided to try and put it together.
    upon examining it it seems to be quite old m,at a guess i would say 60s/70s
    the attention to detail in its making ,has me thinking it has been over engineered in it's design,possibly Italian,1 of the aluminium struts is missing,the timber is excellent,the outer skin reminds me of that early neoprene that they made rain coats of in the 60s.
    perhaps one or more of you on here might be able to shed some light on it.
    designer , make ,model , approximate year of manufacture.
    failing that perhaps point me in the right direction.
    some pics.

2012-06-27200147.jpg
    2012-06-27195959.jpg
    2012-06-27195953.jpg
    2012-06-27122646.jpg
    2012-06-27122639.jpg
    2012-06-27122632.jpg
    2012-06-27122133.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭tphase

possibly a Klepper

• Registered Users Posts: 23 paddler1974

check out the forum here these guys are pretty knowledgeable
    http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Zuppy

Quite a number of faltboote were German and Dutch. There is still a large number of them still paddling. So try some Dutch sites if the song of the paddle guys can't help. Since you have the other struts then getting one made up shouldn't be a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It's a Pouch Faltboot Rz 85 folding kayak. It's an east german kayak and since it's aluminium I'd guess late 80's as they where fully wooden before this time. You'll get any spares needed from ebay.de along with sails, outboard engine mounts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

Thanks very much for the information and help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭salysol

It's a Pouch Faltboot Rz 85 folding kayak. It's an east german kayak and since it's aluminium I'd guess late 80's as they where fully wooden before this time. You'll get any spares needed from ebay.de along with sails, outboard engine mounts etc.
    i have since found out that this is actually a folbot super 17 of 1964/65,it appears they were using aluminum in the mid 40s , rather than wood.
    so it seems it is a collectors item,as the skin is in good condition apart from 2 minor tears and some stitching that needs restitching.
    It is safe to say with very little effort this could be made sea worthy again.
    So i have decided to sell it,i paid £260 for it initially so if i get an offer of €200 it can go to an enthusiast,i don't have the time or inclination to do anything with it,i am sure it will gain value with time.
    if any of you have any interest then just PM me.

Advertisement