Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cow with inconclusive brucellosis test result

• 29-06-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭

Just found out from the vet today over the phone that I have an cow with brucellosis. He said I have two options. Get her tested in 60 days or send her to the factory. I don't know what to do. She has a young calf 2 months old. I have her isolated from the rest. Any advice plz. I'm awaiting the official letter next week.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

factory yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭the al kid

Iron Man,

AFAIK you wont have the option of a retest in 60 days if she is a reactor-it will be exit to factory straight away.More than likely she is inconclusive -if thats the case I would retest her esp if readings are low and you and the area have a good history in relation to brucellosis.Also remember that brucellosis is only spread to other females at calving /abortion time via the uterine fluids so in this case no risk .Check all this with your local DVO vet and make a balanced decision.Best of luck.

Al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

not being smart here but since the relaxation of the brucellosis rules we are letting this disease back in, took long enough to get rid before... out of interest op how long ago was it since this animal was blood tested before, if ever? Heard of a lot of cases across the border and a few in monaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭iron man

The cow is going on 5years old. She was blood tested last year on the annual herd test. Everything fine. This years test showed up inconclusive. I'm figuring that I let her go for 60 days then retest. At least the young calf will be that bit further along. Never had this bit of trouble before.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

iron man wrote: »
    The cow is going on 5years old. She was blood tested last year on the annual herd test. Everything fine. This years test showed up inconclusive. I'm figuring that I let her go for 60 days then retest. At least the young calf will be that bit further along. Never had this bit of trouble before.

My initial reaction was factory straight away, but I think Al Kid's view is very sensible and an 'inconclusive' result with a 2 month calf, I think I would now go for retest too.

I agree with point made by whelan1. Also what region are you in...are you near the border?

Best of luck for a successful outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

I have 2 inconclusives with over a year. Free vet visit every 2 months when testing them. Another vets customer has one also. Showed up originally via milk test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

iron man wrote: »
    This years test showed up inconclusive.
    There is a big difference between being inconclusive and positive as the first post implied. There are a no of things that cause an inconclusive result other than brucellosis. Ireland is officially brucellosis free. There hasn't been a positive in the Republic in 5 or 6 years. Therefore if she has brucellosis the department would be all over you.

just do it wrote: »
    There is a big difference between being inconclusive and positive as the first post implied. There are a no of things that cause an inconclusive result other than brucellosis. Ireland is officially brucellosis free. There hasn't been a positive in the Republic in 5 or 6 years. Therefore if she has brucellosis the department would be all over you.
    there have been positives in monaghan and cavan, wish this country would wake up , we are not brucellosis free... also plenty of cases across the border, we are an island , thisdisease will spread

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Personally, I would brazen it out for now. If she continues to show inconclusive I would then consider factorying her.

There's a reason why the test is inconclusive and not positive. Give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

greysides wrote: »
    Personally, I would brazen it out for now. If she continues to show inconclusive I would then consider factorying her.

There's a reason why the test is inconclusive and not positive. Give her the benefit of the doubt for now.

Basically I fully agree with Greysides, and I think Whelan1's reaction is a little hasty.

If you had any other risk factors, even ones "the Dept" don't know about, like cattle coming into your herd or neighbouring holdings recently from problem parts of NI, or some recent abortions, then slaughter her ASAP. You don't need to share your reasons with anyone just do it.

However if this is "out of the blue", its probably not brucellosis.

One small quibble - you aren't brazening anything out, or being unpatriotic, or taking mad risks. You are choosing one of a couple of legitimate options offered to you by the state, and there is nothing wrong with tat.

And for the record, maybe you should ask the mods to edit the thread title - you do not have a cow with brucellosis - you have a cow with an inconclusive brucellosis test result.

Very best of luck with the retest.

LostCovey

• Advertisement

LostCovey wrote: »
    Basically I fully agree with Greysides, and I think Whelan1's reaction is a little hasty.

If you had any other risk factors, even ones "the Dept" don't know about, like cattle coming into your herd or neighbouring holdings recently from problem parts of NI, or some recent abortions, then slaughter her ASAP. You don't need to share your reasons with anyone just do it.

However if this is "out of the blue", its probably not brucellosis.

One small quibble - you aren't brazening anything out, or being unpatriotic, or taking mad risks. You are choosing one of a couple of legitimate options offered to you by the state, and there is nothing wrong with tat.

And for the record, maybe you should ask the mods to edit the thread title - you do not have a cow with brucellosis - you have a cow with an inconclusive brucellosis test result.

Very best of luck with the retest.

LostCovey
    sorry for being hasty, when i was very young we had a brucellosis outbreak here, total heart breaking,can still remember my parents where totally devastated. Any risk of that happening again and i would get rid of an inconclusive, alot can happen in 60 days, but thats just me being over precautious:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

whelan1 wrote: »
    sorry for being hasty, when i was very young we had a brucellosis outbreak here, total heart breaking,can still remember my parents where totally devastated. Any risk of that happening again and i would get rid of an inconclusive, alot can happen in 60 days, but thats just me being over precautious:cool:

we were totally depopulated in the mid 80's , I never want to see lorries queuing to be loaded again, however we have had inconclusive since and they all retested clear.

I cannot see the reason to wait 60 days however, I think we tested after 14.. could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

whelan1 wrote: »
    there have been positives in monaghan and cavan, wish this country would wake up , we are not brucellosis free... also plenty of cases across the border, we are an island , thisdisease will spread
    Numerous reactors in kildare/wicklow regions. Department trying to cover it all up I'd said. Trying to hold onto the "Brucellosis free status". They nearly had it got rid of before and loosened up on the testing and it came back terrible. Same thing will happen again. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Traonach wrote: »
    Numerous reactors in kildare/wicklow regions. Department trying to cover it all up I'd said. Trying to hold onto the "Brucellosis free status". They nearly had it got rid of before and loosened up on the testing and it came back terrible. Same thing will happen again. :(

That sounds a bit paranoid Traonach.

If its true, then good luck to the Dept with keeping a secret in this country I don't fancy their chances.

Are you sure you're not making the same mistake as the OP - confusing test reactors with brucellosis? I think all clear countries have the odd false positive brucellosis reactor, nothing to get alarmed about, as your vet will tell you. There's a good few bugs that are related to the brucellosis one that'll cause that. No harm to be cautious, but I wouldn't shoot an inconclusive, and I wouldn't be a bit worried if an odd test pos shows up out of the blue.

LostCovey

Advertisement