Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC analogue switching off.

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭

I'm being driven mad by the writing all over every station.

I got 2 letters during the week telling me digital would be cheaper than what I'm paying now.

I rang up its not, it's €45 for a box and .30c less per month.

I need free view, can anyone recommend someone and how much is it.

Looking for the cheapest option or I may as well not bother renewing my TV licence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What do you want? If your needs do not involve sub sport/movies and PPV events then get yourself a Freesat set up and a Saorview for the Irish channels (your TV might have Irish DTT built in if its only a few years old - check the specsheet (google it if you don't have the manual).

If you get a freesat box (Humax FOXSAT PVR is recommended by many) for UK channels buy from www.amazon.co.uk, Irish stockists charge a premium of about 70-80 euro. Buy the dish, cable, etc from www.satellite.ie if you are doing it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh no, my TV are over a decade old!

No need for movies or sports or PPV, if I just had most of whats on UPC analogue, that would do me fine.

Will I need a thing to fine out where the signal is coming from? can you rent one?

So I need a dish, cable to the room and a box with mpeg4 for saorview?

Two boxes - sat and MPEG 4 (there are combined boxes but they are not approved and are fiddly to use) dish, LNB, mounting bracket (for dish), sat standard coax cable,

sat finder only costs about a tenner and is worth buying as you might need to tweak the dish at some point (ball hits it, bird flies into it, stormy weather etc!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

So you dont want to pay for UPC any more is it because you have to pay 45 euro for a new digital box?
    You will still recieve the Irish channels with this along with all the channels you are currently subscribed too.

If you want just the Irish channels and no UPC just buy a digital tv or a Saorview box. There going for around 30 euro now. Its free

If you want channels like bbc,utv,c4,e4 etc buy a old sky box and dish and you get all the english channels for free

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Might be worth bargaining with UPC, my neighbour was telling me tonight that they're giving him the new box for nothing.

• Advertisement

To be honest as an ex NTL/UBS subscriber going FTA was the berst thing I ever did money wise. free tele bar the licence and no fecking UPC customer service standards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Checked this. Its not on all the channels. Only E4/Discovery/MTV/Living as far as i can see. According to UPC website, the basic digital is €25 a month. This gives you the digital and analogue. So I don't know where the €40 is coming from????????

http://www.upc.ie/television/digitalvalueplus/

45 for the box and 25 per month. So, 345 for the year or hook a bit of coax up to the dish that's on the house and get a box for 100 quid. its a bill i just cant justify.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

I have UPC analogue too, Sky news gone for a few days, no mention of this been moved to digital in letter they sent me, anyone else this happen too ? and anyone know why it gone? .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Didn't even know you could get Sky News on analogue!

• Advertisement

navalus wrote: »
    I have UPC analogue too, Sky news gone for a few days, no mention of this been moved to digital in letter they sent me, anyone else this happen too ? and anyone know why it gone? .

Still on in our house. Looking at it now. No message on it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

I paid Sky for only a year a while back to get the free install and discounted Sky+ and Multiroom. Then dumped Sky and got a FreeSat+ HD box (You keep the Sky boxes anyway but are limited to FTA with a naff interface) UPC hate having to provide the analogue signal. They have no control over who watches it / can't restrict viewings to specific rooms / can't flog pay tv and they can't monitor subscribers viewing habits with it. The latest shenanigans will be a rouse to get people over to digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭south

anyone missing channels today ? sky sports news and discovery are missing from my digital package today..

Edit = just did a scan and they came back again

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cadencep45

Any idea of the long term ( ie > 12 months ) for upc analogue service. I see all references to it are dropped from the UPC website. So I am guessing new users are being offered only digital. The question is, how long will the analogue service hang on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭kaef

Don't watch telly. Read books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

cadencep45 wrote: »
    Any idea of the long term ( ie > 12 months ) for upc analogue service. I see all references to it are dropped from the UPC website. So I am guessing new users are being offered only digital. The question is, how long will the analogue service hang on ?

New users were only ever offerred Digital as far back when I started working with them in 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cadencep45

New users were only ever offerred Digital as far back when I started working with them in 2010

so its digital for new - but do we know what are the long term plans for analogue, i.e. presumably they want to switch it off, the question is when ?

But you still get analogue with it.

To me it looks like they can't switch it off, itds just comes with the box?

Advertisement