Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your hand shaking technique

• 29-06-2012 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

So apparently there are many ways to shake a persons hand. Do you go in hard, over the top or even go for the dreaded left handed shake. What is your technique?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭whendovescry

I go for their cock, gets their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Grab their hand forcefully and shake it vigorously, all the while staring at them, then after about 5 seconds I say in a quiet tone, "I must leave now,"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I usually put it out there and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I take their right hand with mine at a reasonable force then I pull them in and give them a huge manhug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I always spit on my palm and then clasp their hand tightly, tucking the cash away with my left, in one deft movement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Any handshake that isn't limp wristed is fine by me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

ya sweaty ones are even worse like the dead fish..

pull their hand in for an arm hug haha no just a mid firm handshake but dont squeeeze the hand off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Seriously, the best handshake is firm but not too tight , but not too long and with good eye contact. Make sure your hand isnt depressing theirs downward as that comes across domineering. Also, sometimes you can use your left hand to pat them gently on the arm or shoulder but I wouldnt do this to someone in authority to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I like to lean into it and shake nice and firm while meeting the eye. No messing about.

I did throw a left hander once because I had a fag in my right hand and he came at me from the right. Rather than turn and switch the fag I just stuck out the left. The awkwardness and confusion that followed haunts me to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

slap hand and finger tickle

• Advertisement

wtf is the story with the "limp handers"?? I never ever warm to feckers with limp, watery handshakes - if, at this stage, when everyone has read "Common things not to do to come across as a cnut or slimeball in everyday business transactions" by Joe Jetter, why do some people still shake hands like they have a nail in their elbow? Is it because they are truly cnuts and don't care what impression they make, or are they just Lizard people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I try and avoid. God knows where that hand has been.

Shake shake shake. Shake shake shake.

Dónal wrote: »
    Shake shake shake. Shake shake shake.
    shake ya booty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Masonic style.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Pottler wrote: »
    wtf is the story with the "limp handers"?? I never ever warm to feckers with limp, watery handshakes - if, at this stage, when everyone has read "Common things not to do to come across as a cnut or slimeball in everyday business transactions" by Joe Jetter, why do some people still shake hands like they have a nail in their elbow? Is it because they are truly cnuts and don't care what impression they make, or are they just Lizard people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'm a serial mastebater,
    No one seems to want to shake my hand

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

Firmness all the way. There's nothing worse than having to yank someone's arm up and down with their three fingers.

My grandad used to give the best handshakes. He wouldn't let your hand go for about ten minutes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do other lads soften/limpen their handshake when shaking hands with a female? I've been called on that before... Now I overcompensate by firmly grasping their hand, and punching them in the arm with the other fist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

If you're royalty, you can wear a glove. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

I just shake my hips violently for a few seconds before zipping up. Sorry if this has been said before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I present them with a socked foot, they may shake that if they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

shake ya booty.

Dónal, you so missed out on a thanks there dumbass! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Limp. It makes them secretly despise you and think they can take advantage of you, just as I like it, they never suspect the limp ones and then when they're not looking you give 'em the oul fork in the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Spread wrote: »
    I just shake my hips violently for a few seconds before zipping up. Sorry if this has been said before.

You doing the Huckle **** hipshake?
    Elizabeth and Philip's favourite jig. . .:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Because they aren't yanks who spend too much time reading business schools articles on this subject and thinking it actually matters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I've retired from hand shaking. People took advantage of my limp shake and shattered my already frail confidence so now I just opt for a cool nod of the head, or if I'm in the mood, the eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Apparently mine is limp.. I don't wanna un-limp it 'cause I feel weird squeezing someone's hand firmly.. I don't know what's too tight and what's not :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

At the age of 18 (possibly younger, can't remember) a mate of mine went to meet his gfs parents for the first time after only going out with the girl a short time, he went in and squeezed the life out of the poor Dads hand thinking the Dad would 'respect a man with a firm handshake'. Funnily enough the Dad wasn't impressed and he got an earful off her for being a gob****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've never understood this obession with thinking you can tell so much by a quick handshake, I've gotten firm handshakes off some of the slimiest fcukers you could meet so it tells you fcuk all about someones character, especially if you catch someone on the hop and they just quickly do it without putting much thought into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

We got a training session at work on how to shake hands! :o A lot of it is about eye contact, apparently!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

My most memorable hand shake happened in Hackney a few years ago, i was on my way home one night and i found a mobile phone on the street. I rang the last dialled number and explained what happened and an hour later this gangster looking rude boy turns up at my door to collect the phone. He was really surprised that someone was returning his girlfriends phone and was very grateful, just before he left came the handshake. I put my hand out for a regular hand shake but noticed at the last second that he had a fist made and was planning on bumping knuckles. I panicked and couldn't bring myself to do the "bumps" so i grabbed his clenched fist and gave it a good manly shake. I'll admit those couple of seconds when i was standing at my front door with a big black mans fist in my hand was one of the most awkward moments in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I grab the hand with a firm grip for a second or two and let go.
    None of that old man stuff shaking hands while chatting away, that's just not right holding another man's hand for that long.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Nothing worse than someone doing that limp grab your fingers more so than your hand fake handshake thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Organic Cavity

Grab as hard as possible, shake like fook and stare straight in the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txuWGoZF3ew
    This is how real men shake hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Got married in church in LA a few years after civil cermony. Being a friend of the priest, he had some of the old guard to welcome us up the steps. The Majordomo was an old Vietnam vet. 6'6", 75 years old, pencil moustache etc. Well he shook my hand so tightly that my hand-made wedding ring with Celtic motif on sides bit into both small and middle finger. There were black bruise marks for a week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

As long as you don't shake a person's hand like Mark Latham did then you'll be fine. He was running for Australian PM in '04 and ruined his chances with this shambles of a handshake.

Advertisement