Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym & Pool - Radisson or Mount Errigal?

Options
  • 29-06-2012 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am wanting to join a gym and pool to try and get fit and am thinking either of these two options. I had a look on their site and paying by direct debit the price is a much of a muchness, so am just wondering if anyone has any idea which would be better?

I'm guessing facilities are similar so basically if anyone has any idea who has better staff, better classes etc? Anyone any personal experience of either or any feedback?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

henke wrote: »
    Hi all,

I am wanting to join a gym and pool to try and get fit and am thinking either of these two options. I had a look on their site and paying by direct debit the price is a much of a muchness, so am just wondering if anyone has any idea which would be better?

I'm guessing facilities are similar so basically if anyone has any idea who has better staff, better classes etc? Anyone any personal experience of either or any feedback?

Cheers.
    I was talking to a girl the other day that got the 6mths free before her wedding in the mt errigal she said it was grand but a bit run down,the last time I was in the radisson(4yrs)it was mint but very small the pool steam room and sauna are tiny and there is no jacuzzi,what's wrong with the aura?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

mk2 wrote: »
    I was talking to a girl the other day that got the 6mths free before her wedding in the mt errigal she said it was grand but a bit run down,the last time I was in the radisson(4yrs)it was mint but very small the pool steam room and sauna are tiny and there is no jacuzzi,what's wrong with the aura?
    A bit run down? As in out of date equipment?

I'm not sure I'm thinking the Aura too but I think I heard it was more expensive and what would put me off is that the pool is only accessible at certain times and would be a lot busier? Any experiences of Aura too also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I was a member of Mt. Err. this time last year so I'm not sure if the have made changes since. Locker rooms really need to be done up. Better keeping your gear in the car until you need it.

About 5 treadmills, about 4 usually work and sometimes only at a walk. 3 cross trainers but one had dodgy foot treads. 2 bikes (with electronics), 2 steppers. There are loads of spinning bikes which were new when I was there (good job too). Rowing machine was decent.
    Plenty of weights too but not so much on the free weights. Didn't attend any of the classes, but my bother did spinning there which he seemed to like.
    Didn't use the pool but it was fine from what I could see. Sauna is small and best avoided at night unless you like hanging out with the old men who seem to like to congregate there.

Busiest time is 6-8 when everyone is finishing work so if this is the time you were thinking of going, might be an idea to go elsewhere. Staff will sort you with a little training program if you ask them. Gary Crossan was working there at the time so he'd get you set on something if he's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Id ask for a free trial in both before you sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm thinking of joining Radisson since I'm only interested in the pool and Radisson seem to be the only ones who offer that. I wouldn't be interested in Aura, for the same reason about only going at certain times.

But want to go down and check out Radisson's pool first and also ask in Errigal to see if they could do a pool only membership

• Advertisement

The Mount Errigal treadmills and cross-trainers don't sound the best. I'm mainly looking at doing cardio because my number one priority is to get fit. Anyone know what these are like in Radisson?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

Have you thought about the Clanree Hotel? They have pool only memberships as well as gym/pool and gym only memberships.

I was a member for a few months last year and I was happy enough. Changing facilities are nice, pool is nice, and the sauna, steam room and jacuzzi are grand.

Gym is quite small but usually very quiet and the equipment is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

I used to be a member of Mt Errigal, the pool is fine although a corner has been 'cut off' for steps which looks lovely but totally impractical if there are more than four of you trying to do lengths as someone always gets the short track. The changing rooms were really run down and not cleaned thoroughly each day. (same hair stuck with conditioner to same shower cubicle for over two weeks?) It does reach a decent depth though, which is more that can be said for the shallow pool in the Radisson.

Also, I'm not sure if any of the others offer inividual cubicles to get changed in, I think that they are all communal - at least they were when I last rang around them all about two years ago.

Unfortunately, none of them are great. It is just picking the one with the least wrong with it...

I'm nearly thinking Aura now. Maybe go in the morning and avoid the rush of people who go after work. I assume Aura have good facilities and changing rooms?

Advertisement