Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet just saved life...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

This all reminds me of a man I used to know who was the shop steward on a building site, much hated by the management. He was determined to get the people working on the site to wear helmets, but they refused - until the day that a spanner mysteriously landed on his hard hat from 100 feet up (an easy target because of his bright yellow helmet).

The helmet split but he was unhurt. Next day and thereafter, everyone on the site was wearing a hard hat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

chakattack wrote: »
    Seeing as you bring up this crock of sh*t logic (based on a study or two in other countries - I'd love to see them!) at every mention of a helmet, it's you that appears most religious on the subject.

This wonderful study is like your personal Dianetics.

I think the original focus of this thread, one man not cracking his skull and ROK ON's analysis of cycling numbers in Ireland should give you food for thought.

"Truth is what stands the test of experience"

The effect of mandatory helmet laws in Australia on number of people cycling and injury rates. (not a study but a wiki entry on the matter). LINKY

By the way, I'll use your logic. I've fallen off my bike twice and never hit my head therefore helmets are not needed... Food for thought. See, pointless.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Seeing as you bring up this crock of sh*t logic (based on a study or two in other countries - I'd love to see them!) at every mention of a helmet, it's you that appears most religious on the subject.

Can we keep it civil please. It's possible to have a reasonable debate on this subject without having to resort to this kind of stuff.

Any more, and we'd start issuing cards.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Op, glad you're ok. Had a similar experience myself last April, hit by a car, landed on my head, knocked unconscious & helmet split open. Thankfully CAT scans etc were clear, so I can see where you're coming from. Personally I'm totally in favour of helmet wearing, even more so now, but not necessarily of it being mandatory. And I know that's not what your thread is about.

In your case the helmet in all likelihood did have a mitigating effect on the damage you received and so was the right choice for you.

Now, tongue in cheek, I can't believe the nerve of a consultant using his expert medical opinion to comment on your case !! Did he at least have a load of peer reviewed studies from countries with a far superior cycling infrastructure than here, like Denmark or The Netherlands, to back up his assertions or was he just using his experience, training and expertise ??? I hope you set him straight :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I don't know whether I've much to add to this; a thread of this nature seemed likely to go this way eventually.

I've a few thoughts though.

In the case of the OP's accident, I have to say that the scenario is pretty much what a helmet is designed for: a low-speed fall with no motorised vehicles involved onto what I assume was a fairly flat surface with no significant rotation of the head around the neck. He also seems to have struck a part of his head that is covered by the helmet. So it's not implausible that it ameliorated the damage by slowing the head before impact, which is what it's supposed to do.

It's probably conjecture on the part of the consultant to suggest that the damage would have been so much worse without the helmet that the OP would have been unable to communicate with the consultant. All you can tell from a broken helmet is that, provided it met the EU standard, it absorbed about the amount of energy equivalent to 5kg falling to the ground over 1.5m. Which isn't a lot, though I can't say it wouldn't help. Helmets tend to break at energies that barely exceed that standard, since profit margins are tight.

On a broader theme of deferring to consultants: doctors generally are not well versed in statistical techniques, and often are not well equipped for assessing the competing claims of different studies of a statistical nature. In fact, I hear the old and clearly wrong "helmets prevent 85% of head injuries" claim from medical people in the media so often that I assume most of them don't even read the studies. It's not uncommon in scientific research for people to just read the abstract, so I'm assuming, human nature being what it is, that a similar situation prevails.

Actually, I could be wrong about the helmet absorbing all the energy equivalent to a 5kg/1.5m fall. The polystyrene lining should show signs of crushing for that to be the case, if I remember correctly. That's one for the OP, I guess, if he can stomach this thread any more!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

ROK ON wrote: »
    This is a Sports forum.

No. It's not -- at least not exclusively so. There have been more than a number of requests for a cycling commuting board but the consensus seemed to be that there'd be too much crossover and it would just result in a lot of people having to read two forums. Maybe it's time to revisit the question of a separate board?

All of my posts should be viewed in the context that this board covers not only sports cycling, but also commuting and popping down to the shops.

When potential massive population-level heath benefits and savings in health care and congestion costs are on the cards if commuting cycling levels can be increased, you'll have to excuse me if I'm not overly concerned about those who engage in extreme sports or who travel at high speeds -- even if helmets were needed for such extreme activities, they and their clubs should look after them selves.

While I have strongly held views about helmets, I feel that a thread about someone's own head injury is probably the wrong place to start airing them.

Unless I've missed it, he hasn't argued for mandatory helmets or said anyone was a fool for not wearing them. He simply said that in the case of his own accident he felt a helmet was beneficial.

And in fairness the "Helmet just saved life..." title is going well into the territory of advocacy (advocacy does not have to be planned or done by a group)... But 'where is it ok to debate or not' is a question I've asked myself and I would usually tend to avoid diving into this type of tread and did so up to the point of the consultant's view being aired -- then we travelled into Bad Science land.

EDIT: You're right. I should have kept it for another thread, or at least just focused on the consultant's view and nothing else.

Popoutman wrote: »
    I find the groupthink on this forum regarding helmets and the fervour to not get more people wearing them to be very distasteful.

Like most consensus reached in communities, the general consensus reached has come about after reading debates on the subject over many months for many and years for others. It's up to you if you want to label it "groupthink" and "very distasteful".

What is the consensus about helmets here? Mostly that helmets should not be mandatory, that they are not as effective as some say, and maybe also that they should not be a focus of the State -- I'd be pushing to say it was more that those things.

...a helmet will absorb impact energy that would otherwise be transferred to my head or brain...

How much energy will it observe?

The smooth shell will grip on a road surface a lot less than my face or scalp would so I'm at less risk of rotational injuries as well.

See: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html

No point in repeating it here at this point as it requires further reading and I'd have to quote a lot when you can just click on the link.

As a practitioner of ww kayaking on grade 5 rivers I have been in unfortunate situations of having to benefit from the wearing of and possession of things like helmets and buoyancy aids. I've learned the usefulness of those types of items.

I'm guessing the risk of hitting ones head of rocks while kayaking is much larger than the while cycling?

According to the Phillips Report, the National Report on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Republic of Ireland 2008, with road traffic collisions, cyclists have the lowest of all groups to suffer anything above "mild" brain injuries and have tiny percentages of irreversible injuries and the lowest mortality rate.

All other groups, including pedestrians, have a higher risk of "moderate" and "severe" brain injuries and a higher level of irreversible injuries.

On roads, cyclists seem to be the last ones who need helmets. Which leaves a big question: Why are cyclists being targeted when they are at less risk?

The near-religious fervour that posters here view the wearing or non-wearing of helmets while on bikes is just bloody harmful.

My views are strongly based on facts and a sicking amount of reading research on the subject of cycling, bicycle helmets and brain injuries.

Instead of attacking those that want useful protection for us cyclists, maybe those posters that are always on that particular hobbyhorse should reconsider where their efforts are being directed. Maybe it would be better serving society as a whole that those posters that currently attack the pro-helmet posters, that they go and do more useful things that would benefit us all. Maybe getting involved in helmet design to make them more palatable to more people if that's a perceived issue? Maybe get involved in advertising campaigns to reduce the amount of crap food that people eat? Maybe suggest other methods of getting lazy bums to go and exercise? Getting involved in better ways of doing multi-size capability safely with helmets that could then be applied to hire bikes?

Maybe it'd be easier to get "lazy bums" on bikes if it wasn't for people dangerising cycling?

Maybe it'd be easier to get those "lazy bums" on bikes if the money and energy spent on helmet and high-vis promotion was spent on promoting everyday cycling?

To be clear here: The evidence does not point to a need for helmets or an improved helmet design, it points to helmets not being needed for general cycling.

I will always suggest to people that I see cycling without a lid that a helmet is a good idea. At a minimum, I try to ask them why they don't.

You should go to the Netherlands and spread your god's good word!

I think the original focus of this thread, one man not cracking his skull and ROK ON's analysis of cycling numbers in Ireland should give you food for thought.

"Truth is what stands the test of experience"

Is there any need at all for "crock of sh*t"?

"Truth is what stands the test of experience" -- Sure, but there's no epidemic of head and brain injuries in the Netherlands where there's large numbers cycling and helmet use is next to zero. Food for thought?

Also, given you're quoting a cyclist who was an expert in physics and forces: Where's Albert's helmet?

tumblr_lj5ofcNDJj1qzdwano1_400.jpg

...The crazy fool! He should have been protecting his brain from the tiny risk of head injury.

This all reminds me of a man I used to know who was the shop steward on a building site, much hated by the management. He was determined to get the people working on the site to wear helmets, but they refused - until the day that a spanner mysteriously landed on his hard hat from 100 feet up (an easy target because of his bright yellow helmet).

The helmet split but he was unhurt. Next day and thereafter, everyone on the site was wearing a hard hat.

If cycling on the road in an urban area was anywhere near as dangerous as working on a building site I'd give up.

Tell you what, Go out with the OP and he'll have you exactly reenact what happened to him only this time you wont be wearing a helmet so we can finally put this debate to rest. Going by what you said here you have absolutely nothing to worry about so it shouldn't be a problem.

Great, I should re-enact something that has a tiny chance of happening to me. Yeah, I'm off to do that right now... just after I write to all of my TDs looking for bottle holders to be banned.

Russman wrote: »
    Now, tongue in cheek, I can't believe the nerve of a consultant using his expert medical opinion to comment on your case !! Did he at least have a load of peer reviewed studies from countries with a far superior cycling infrastructure than here, like Denmark or The Netherlands, to back up his assertions or was he just using his experience, training and expertise ??? I hope you set him straight :-)
    Those that have first-hand knowledge of the usefulness of helmets should not be dissuaded from suggesting to others that helmet wearing is a good thing. This applies to those that have had reduced injuries as a result of wearnig a helmet, and those that have a properly informed opinion on the subject (medical staff, engineers etc).

Tongue in cheek...

doctors-smoke-camel.jpg

And, yes, cycling infrastructure results in zero cyclists ever falling off their bikes. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

CJC999 wrote: »
    Are you saying leave helmets as a personal choice so that people dont feel compelled to buy one in circumstances where they may not be able to afford one and therefore maybe give up cycling OR are you saying that not wearing a helmet could negatively affect health at a population level and squander a good chance to lower the massive state spending on health.???

Advocating the wearing of helmets will not hurt cycling numbers as its still a personal choice and its not illegal to cycle without one so there will always be those that choose not to.

Anything that reduces general cycling participation is a threat to the overall health of the population. The evidence for the health benefits of regular cycling for transport is robust.

Cycling helmet promotion is one of the things that puts normal people off normal cycling in their normal clothes. In particular it is an established turn-off for female cyclists. In addition to being seen as making the wearers look ridiculous, the "safety messages" associated with cycle helmets often "dangerise" cycling while also giving wholly inappropriate expectations of the "life saving" effects of polystyrene packing foam. Helmet promotion also acts as a distraction from various other issues that need to be tackled in providing a generally accessible public cycling environment.

The latest analysis by De Jong (and presented at Velocity 2012) suggests that, even if cycle helmets were 100% effective at preventing deaths, and if only 2.4% of the cycling population were put off cycling then the result would still be a net increase in mortality.

Thats all - put 2.4% of everyday cyclists off using their bikes and you have a net negative effect.

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1249.html

Given that 2.4% is such a small fraction it seems to me that the argument is growing increasingly stronger for an outright ban on the sale and promotion of cycle helmets.

I saw that Einstein photo on a poster in the States with a helmet photoshopped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

Op if your helmet split then likely all it prevented was a scalp injury. The brain injury prevention is supposed to happen through the liner crushing. If it split it didn't do that part of its job.

I agree with you here. If the helmet did its job then why the need for a scan. Concussion and head injuries happen when at the speed of deceleration of the head regardless of whether you wear a helmet. If the force is sufficient, you will cause any number of injuries including but not limited to fracture, haemorrhage and brachial plexus injuries. Helmets protect superficial cranial structures - it does not protect your brain.

That said, good to hear the OP was ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

monument wrote: »

Is there any need at all for "crock of sh*t"?

"Truth is what stands the test of experience" -- Sure, but there's no epidemic of head and brain injuries in the Netherlands where there's large numbers cycling and helmet use is next to zero. Food for thought?

Apologies for my choice of words - I was annoyed at how you took issue with a fairly innocent thread of one man relaying his experience of a crash.

If the government want to make helmets mandatory I'll be on your side but until then there's little point arguing about it or trying to convince people that sans helmet is the best choice. What good does is it do?

You said:

"we're talking about something that can negatively affect the levels of cycling and thus negatively affect health at a population level"

Are we really? There's no evidence of this in Ireland and nothing to fear.

In Ireland the upturn in cycling is mostly sporting and fitness, the first purchase is a bike and often the second is a helmet. It's a sensible choice most cyclists make themselves. There's no stigma with wearing a helmet and no apparent danger of people not cycling because helmets are seen as uncool. Why try to convince someone otherwise?

You said:

"we're talking about something that can negatively affect the levels of cycling and thus negatively affect health at a population level"

Are we really? There's no evidence of this in Ireland and nothing to fear.

In reply
    Among the key findings was the fact that obesity in Irish children is higher than many northern European countries, but similar to Great Britain.

It found 19% of them were overweight at age nine, with 26% of nine-year-olds "outside the healthy range" for their weight.

Girls were "significantly" more likely to have weight problems.

The study found that 22% of girls were overweight, compared to 19% of boys. Obesity levels were 8% in girls and 5% in boys.

See more:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1109/children.html

Nothing to do with fast food culture, it must be the helmets.

Are they not all part of the same cultural package? Car dependancy, fast food culture, obesity and people expected to humiliate themselves by wearing silly looking plastic hats if they want to cycle to school, work or the shops? Are these not all different aspects of the same toxic culture?

Anyway enough musing on social cultures. You have apparently claimed there is no problem with cycling levels among the general Irish population. Perhaps you might care to support your position with reference to the National Census data on Travel to Work, School or College?

You have apparently claimed there is no problem with cycling levels among the general Irish population. Perhaps you might care to support your position with reference to the National Census data on Travel to Work, School or College?

I have not. I've claimed that helmets don't seem to be deterring people from cycling to work or for fitness. And why would they - it's a choice.

I'm not too worried about census data. Room for improvement I'm sure.

You're talking as if helmet use is compulsory and is limiting the uptake of cycling.

• Advertisement

Are they not all part of the same cultural package? Car dependancy, fast food culture, obesity and people expected to humiliate themselves by wearing silly looking plastic hats if they want to cycle to school, work or the shops? Are these not all different aspects of the same toxic culture?

I'm with you on this minus the silly hats part. It's probably the embarrassing lycra and the peer pressure to wear it and shave ones legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I think this is worth reading. An interesting site that is quite thought provoking ... are cyclist's being conned or lulled into a false sense of security ?

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1081.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

The title of this thread was always likely to lead to a discussion about helmets generally. The OP acknowledges in a subsequent post that the title is perhaps a little extreme but the discussion had started by then. I'm not sure why some people are offended by a helmet discussion here though, if it's not appropriate in the context of an incident where someone survived and appears not to have been badly hurt, then I don't know when it's appropriate.

What I do personally take issue with within the thread though are the extreme views at either end of the scale, views that leave no room for discussion at all. The opposing views that "helmets are a magic wand to keep you safe" and "helmets are evil incarnate" are ones that I can't relate to. It's the former view in particular that has been represented by several posters, as is so often the case, the latter view very rarely gets aired from what I've seen. If anything is harmful I believe it is such rigid views, views that actually discourage consideration and debate of the benefits, or otherwise, of cycle helmets.

And there should be an active debate about cycle helmets. Are they effective in the circumstances that most people might hope? Is their design appropriate for such circumstances? Why do the helmet safety standards differ in different parts of the world (with the EU standard being arguably weaker than several)? Do helmets labelled with even the EU standard truly meet that standard (in a test several years ago, several didn't - hopefully things have changed since then, but who actually knows)? For those people who believe helmets to be essential, why don't you believe a full-face helmet to be a better choice? If a helmet splits in a collision did it really do much to minimise harm to the rider? If a helmet survives a collision with no visible damage did it really do anything to minimise harm to the rider? Etc, etc.

I think a proper debate might shed some light on some of those questions, a "debate" peppered with the dismissive views of those at the extreme ends of the scale tends to stop being a debate and gets boring very quickly. Questioning stuff is healthy, as long as you are willing to give the answers some consideration and thought. Accepting stuff without any reasoning at all is silly. Attacking or dismissing someone simply because they question views of yours that you haven't given much, if any, thought to, is obnoxious. Here's to more debate!

It's more to do with inactivity than fast food alone.

With the debate, on the political side there tends to be a heavy over focus on food alone, but very, very little about the built environment which has a massive effect on which modes of transport people choice.

Helmets meanwhile are just another unneeded barrier to cycling. Galwaycyclist covers the issue well in his last three posts, and to add to his points: if helmets were not an issue for people then why would the "invisible" bike helmet company get an investment of $10 million?

Cycling in Ireland as a mode of transport is only on the up in some areas - it's static or near static in areas and in decline in other areas. See this article and the comments: http://cyclingindublin.com/2012/08/08/880/
    And here: http://cyclingindublin.com/2012/08/10/cyclists-in-dublin-by-area-mapped/

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I saw that Einstein photo on a poster in the States with a helmet photoshopped in.

Sad, but it's not the first case of this I've heard about.

I have not. I've claimed that helmets don't seem to be deterring people from cycling to work or for fitness. And why would they - it's a choice.

It's a choice, but not really that simple when it comes to pressures from mothers or fathers, boyfriends or girlfriends, wifes or husbands, workmates etc...

I'm not too worried about census data. Room for improvement I'm sure.

As above, besides parts of Dublin cycling numbers are hardly worth talking about -- a good few areas areas are static or in decline.
    You're talking as if helmet use is compulsory and is limiting the uptake of cycling.

Just because there is a high level of limiting for compulsion, doesn't mean promotion and advocating with not also have a limiting effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

To the OP - I apologise that this may be taking things further off topic again.

Warning - long post, and I'm sorry about that.
    All of my posts should be viewed in the context that this board covers not only sports cycling, but also commuting and popping down to the shops.
    When potential massive population-level heath benefits and savings in health care and congestion costs are on the cards if commuting cycling levels can be increased, you'll have to excuse me if I'm not overly concerned about those who engage in extreme sports or who travel at high speeds -- even if helmets were needed for such extreme activities, they and their clubs should look after them selves.
    Maybe the best route forwards is to mandate helmet wearing, but to allow those that think that they know better to apply for a non-helmet wearing license. This would solve the issue that appears to be here, and it would mean that a choice could be made to not wear a helmet. Those whose insurance terms require it or those that have common sense, are all covered and people that are willing to take those risks can do so without affecting other people.

Joking aside, I do think that there are categories of cycling types that should always have a helmet, and there are other types that may not need a helmet. The trouble is it's hard to be able to write a law that would account cleanly and easily for this. If you can't make a perfect law that covers it then a compromise would be the next best option, and usually the compromise is one that benefits the most people. It's a complex issue the does not have a simple solution that would appease everyone. The two choices that Irish politicians would generally choose is either "everyone wears one on the road" or no law required. The trouble is, is that sometimes people are not educated enough to be able to make an informed like this and this is why legislation to force people to wear a helmet would be useful.
    And in fairness the "Helmet just saved life..." title is going well into the territory of advocacy (advocacy does not have to be planned or done by a group)...
    But you are a strong advocate of not wearing a helmet, are you not? It's a little hypocritical to criticise one poster for advocating wearing a helmet when you appear to be one that strongly and regularly advocates not wearing a helmet?
    Or have I misconstrued your postings on this subject?
    Like most consensus reached in communities, the general consensus reached has come about after reading debates on the subject over many months for many and years for others. It's up to you if you want to label it "groupthink" and "very distasteful".
    What is the consensus about helmets here? Mostly that helmets should not be mandatory, that they are not as effective as some say, and maybe also that they should not be a focus of the State -- I'd be pushing to say it was more that those things.
    From my reading of this forum over the past few years, it appears to me that the consensus here appears to be a rather vocal minority that appear to advocate no helmets, but that there is a vast majority of people that have a bit more common sense that would quietly wear a helmet but that don't tend to try and convert the no-helmetters from their crusade.
    Personally, having seen and felt the difference between helmet and no helmet in various situations both on and off the bike I'm happy to wear a helmet when on the bike. I reach speeds that are fast enough to impart decent injuries - on the road I regularly read speeds akin to that at the end of a 25 to 30 foot fall. If I were a rock climber, I'd be wearing a helmet above 6 feet and no-one would bat an eyelid that I was. It comes down to risk recognition, and sane risk mitigation. It makes perfect physical sense to try and minimise the impact from an accident as I'm not arrogant enough to think that I'm immune to being in an accident on the bike. I'm fragile, and I'm not hugely experienced. My roadcraft is generally good but I recognise I'm at risk from idiots on the road including oblivious pedestrians. Is it an indication that those that think that helmets should not be worn, that they think they are immune from accidents?
    How much energy will it observe?
    I presume you meant "absorb". Here's the thing. Any energy that does not go into my skull or soft tissues inside or outside my skull is a benefit to me. The more that is absorbed, the better. Balancing that is the expected energies involved that may need to be absorbed. Examples:
    if I'm pottering into the university for lunch on the commuter bike, I know that I'm moving at most at a light jogging speed and for this usage I can see the desire for no helmet, though one would be recommended if only to maintain good habits.
    If I'm on the road bike on a spin around the suburbs and non-main roads around the outskirts of the town then I'm reaching 30-50kph. Not wearing a helmet for this use pattern would just be plain dumb, and I'd like to see a quality helmet used that has a chance of helping absorb those energies if/when I fall off and land wrong.
    If I'm on the mountain bike hammering on XC offroad tracks, I may not be reaching 50kph but I'm definitely hitting 35kph and there are many trees and rocks that will stop me much more quickly than the skating along on a road surface. For this I really would see that helmets would be mandated and not surprisingly every single mountainbiker I know always wears their helmet. Even the kids that do it, their parents have a clue and make the kids wear them.
    I'm not a dirtjumper but for this use pattern the full-face helmets make sense with a high likelihood of coming off and high impact speeds.
    Downhillers, well apart from being a breed onto themselves ;) have a real need for decent headgear, and they wear decent headgear. Not surprising really.
    See: http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1039.html
    No point in repeating it here at this point as it requires further reading and I'd have to quote a lot when you can just click on the link.
    I don't think that this link says what you think (or hope) it does..
    That paper is a critique of a particular pro-helmet study, but it doesn't actually show that the helmet wearing is more harmful, only that the study used to base the Australian laws on may not be correct. These are separate issues. My point previously still stands.
    I'm guessing the risk of hitting ones head of rocks while kayaking is much larger than the while cycling?
    Generally, no, your guess is incorrect. It's a different risk, as it's a different type of impact. The impacts from paddling-related incidents tend to be lower speed but higher force, as when submerged in the water moving at maybe 10kph there's an initial tap but the dynamic water pressure (often much greater than 1 tonne per m^2) continues to force a swimmer or paddler onto the object being hit. In other words, the peak energy is lower than a cyclist's fall, but there is a lot more energy involved. It's the difference between getting hit with a hammer and getting hit with a whip. Similar speeds but different energy profiles.
    As the impact energy in a kayaking is slowly applied, it's generally easier to deal with and the kayak helmet designs and constructions types reflect this, and it's reason why cycling helmets are not suitable for kayaking and why kayaking helmets are not suitable for cyclists. There is also a risk of hitting a rock or tree that's above the water but that's rarely above a jogging speed so is less of a worry.
    According to the Phillips Report, the National Report on Traumatic Brain Injury in the Republic of Ireland 2008, with road traffic collisions, cyclists have the lowest of all groups to suffer anything above "mild" brain injuries and have tiny percentages of irreversible injuries and the lowest mortality rate.

All other groups, including pedestrians, have a higher risk of "moderate" and "severe" brain injuries and a higher level of irreversible injuries.
    Not that surprising given the general speeds or cyclists at impact, and the general trend of helmet wearing amongst cyclists.
    I've actually read the report, and it's making note that the data referring to PPE is often not recorded, so this undermines the use of this report as a basis for not wearing a helmet:
    "Reference to protective devices was often lacking in the medical note"

Interesting comments from that report:
    "Pedal cyclists were the most likely road user to have an isolated head injury (81%)."
    "Severe TBI in pedal cyclists is low (13%) despite having less protection than people in vehicles as they are slower and energy transfer is less" (emphasis mine - but note that the comparison is with motor vehicles..)
    On roads, cyclists seem to be the last ones who need helmets. Which leaves a big question: Why are cyclists being targeted when they are at less risk?
    I would interpret that report differently, as I would not use the displayed data to base an absolute risk, but it is useful to do a comparison between the differing road users. The issue is not whether cyclists are at less risk of injury than a car occupant (which is what you appear to imply by your statement above basing your view on that report), but whether cyclists would benefit from wearing helmets overall.
    But to answer your question, probably as a result if statements like this from the report you mentioned but selectively quoted from:
    "Pedal cyclists were the most likely road user to have an isolated head injury (81%)."
    I would expect that most educated people reading a report like that with peer-reviewed statements like this would suggest that improving the head protection would lessen the injury rates for cyclists. Would you disagree with this?
    Maybe it'd be easier to get "lazy bums" on bikes if it wasn't for people dangerising cycling?
    Maybe it'd be easier to get those "lazy bums" on bikes if the money and energy spent on helmet and high-vis promotion was spent on promoting everyday cycling?
    Lets get things done right instead of being Irish about it and making a mess of it. Lets try to get society happy with the concept of PPE for appropriate situations, including cycling, instead of handwaving about how dangerous it makes cycling look. When it comes down to it, cycling on our roads is not a safe activity, and as a cyclist there is a lot less protection than a car occupant has, and can have much higher impact energies than a pedestrian falling over would experience.
    (as an aside, I'd prefer to see adequate bike and pedestrian lighting in addition to hi-vis instead of exclusively hi-vis, but that's for another thread.)
    To be clear here: The evidence does not point to a need for helmets or an improved helmet design, it points to helmets not being needed for general cycling.
    Amm, I disagree. The arguments being used that I've read about why people do not want to wear helmets, suggest that people don't want to wear helmets because of inconvenience factors more than that helmets are not designed for or are appropriate for the protection of heads. This suggests that improved designs may mitigate these reasons, and that's why I suggested it.
    You should go to the Netherlands and spread your god's good word!
    No, thanks. I'll do so here where our risks are different, and my helping others may be more useful overall. Thanks for the suggestion though. Is it possible that you be more comfortable if you moved over to the Netherlands where your no-helmet-wearing thoughts may meet with more like-minded people? And by the way, this isn't a religious discussion, though people seem to react as though it is :(
    Less mixing of cyclists and traffic, a lot of slower bikes in use meaning less energy in impacts. Differing risk profile. Dutch racing cyclists still wear their helmets though - Also food for thought?
    If cycling on the road in an urban area was anywhere near as dangerous as working on a building site I'd give up.
    Good that you picked a useful strawman there. Building sites have situations that can easily kill, and that is why there is legislation covering the provision of PPE. It's a no-brainer to wear boots, hat and gloves on a building site, as well to use common sense and training when working in those situations with heavy machinery and working at heights.
    Back on topic though.. One of the problems with people in general, is that people are very poor at risk recognition and at risk management. We either magnify risk beyond all usefulness (see the US reaction to terrorists and the TSA security theatre) or we ignore the risks that are present (cycling on Irish roads without a helmet).
    It's a proven fact that our roads are a dangerous place, and I for one would like to see them become perfectly safe. As this is reality, that's not going to happen so I will take what appropriate steps I can to mitigate the risks of injury to myself.
    And, yes, cycling infrastructure results in zero cyclists ever falling off their bikes. ;)
    Good cycling infrastructure reduces the risk of car/cyclist collisions. The risk of falling off bikes would certainly be reduced with appropriate infrastructure with less off-camber sharp turns, less poor surfacing, more cycle-friendly kerbing, less mixing or prams and bikes etc. I do hope that you are not suggesting that we stop investing in proper cycle infrastructure?

Monument, I'd suggest that instead of continuing to wander away from the OP's thread I'd suggest that instead of replying here, that we start a new thread and we'll continue our discussion there.

• Advertisement

@ Monument

A few straightforward questions:

On an individual basis and acknowledging that accidents can happen, is cycling without a helmet safer than cycling with a helmet?

Are you more likely to be hit by a car if you wear a helmet?

If 20% of people reading this thread stop wearing helmets, what is the benefit to society?

Lets get things done right instead of being Irish about it and making a mess of it.

This reference to my nationality is deeply offensive to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Lets get things done right instead of being Irish about it and making a mess of it.

This reference to my nationality is deeply offensive to me.

Ah for feck sake get over it. He's probably Irish himself. And we all know what he means too.

I am Irish too, born and bred. It allows me to be qualified to make that statement! ;)
    I'm just well aware of our apparent inability to do things well sometimes, and it saddens me. We as a nation have the capability to do things so well, and we do from time to time, but we also manage to make a right hames of things sometimes and it's a great pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Popout, You say that it's a proven fact that our roads are a dangerous place. Statistically they're actually quite good in fact. You're letting your perceptions get in the way of reality to suit your argument me thinks. Many people including yourself think cycling is dangerous when it really isn't. The benefits outweigh the risks by some margin. It's so tiring having to explain this ad nauseum to people who really have no idea what they are talking about. If it's so bloody dangerous why do so many people do it? Answer, it's not that dangerous at all. It's annoying listening to people like you dangerising a perfectly, pleasant, useful activity just cos people 'need to be educated' as you have condescended already. You're putting people off cycling and i have a big problem with that.

Then you go on about mandating helmets, cos our roads are so, so dangerous don't you know, to make them "perfectly safe". So helmets will all of a sudden make the roads safe for cyclists? Honestly, you're all over the place.

And one more thing, I think if you wanna wear a helmet more power to you. That's grand and I'll never discourage you but stop saying that people are telling others not to wear helmets. You're incorrect. We are simply pro-choice (unfortunate term i know) and by extension anti compulsion for reasons which should by now be obvious.

@ Monument

On an individual basis and acknowledging that accidents can happen, is cycling without a helmet safer than cycling with a helmet?

If 20% of people reading this thread stop wearing helmets, what is the benefit to society?

In answer to the bit in bold: Possibly you are because of two factors (both inconclusive as far as I'm aware, it's just been in stuff I've read). The wearing of a helmet can provide a sense of protection in a cyclist which in turn makes them take more risk on the road and secondly one/some studies appeared to find that traffic passed closer to cyclists with helmets than those without again because of perceived protection.

Interesting eh? Not gonna say either of those things are proven facts though.

coolbeans wrote: »
    Popout, You say that it's a proven fact that our roads are a dangerous place. Statistically they're actually quite good in fact.
    Calling our roads "quite good" depends on your comparison to be perfectly honest. Yes, we're safer than Vietnam where nobody wears helmets on scooters, but we're not as safe as the Dutch or Germans (though that may depend on which particular metric you choose to show your statistics with). I believe the Wikipedia people call this situation [citation needed].
    If our roads were so safe, why do we hear of cycling deaths and injuries? If we can reduce those by sane means then we should do so.
    You're letting your perceptions get in the way of reality to suit your argument me thinks. Many people including yourself think cycling is dangerous when it really isn't.
    I involve myself in sports that can be classed as dangerous, and I spend a lot of my time managing the risks that I take through training and the correct use of the correct equipment. I've got a pretty good trained and experienced perception of the risks in my sports. In my informed and trained opinion, I can see areas where cycling can be made safer. Is this a bad thing? No, it isn't. These areas include the appropriate wearing of helmets in the right way at the right times when doing certain activities. I cycle a fair amount, and in my trained opinion wearing a helmet is the correct choice for me. I do not see how not wearing a helmet is a good thing.

I really think you didn't read my comments above in detail, where I've tried to explain where I'm coming from. People will be dumb enough to not wear a helmet when it's appropriate to do so. These people have to be accounted for, and that's usually done by legislation. Trouble is how legislation be drafted that covers the situations where it's appropriate to not wear a helmet, and to differentiate those from the situations where it's appropriate to wear a helmet? I think a lot of people would like the answer to that one.

Please note that I haven't called cycling dangerous at all - those are your words, and I think that it does show a lot about how you think of the sport. I've been careful to note that there are risks involved with cycling, not that cycling is dangerous.
    The benefits outweigh the risks by some margin. It's so tiring having to explain this ad nauseum to people who really have no idea what they are talking about.
    I note that you do not state that I don't know what I'm talking about. Thank you for that.

Do you think that your being tired about repeating yourself may have something to do with problems with the message that you are trying to get across? Do you honestly think that seeing more people not wearing helmets will encourage people to cycle? I think we'd do better to look at other more visible and more effective ways of getting people to cycle than trying to prevent people from not cycling, while still trying to reduce the risks inherent in the sport.
    If it's so bloody dangerous why do so many people do it? Answer, it's not that dangerous at all.
    Again, it may not be dangerous when compared to the likes of horseriding, but it's less safe than e.g. jogging.

People (including me) do cycle because it's fun, it makes you feel good. You feel healthier and there are a lot of other benefits to it. That's why many people do it. The fact we like it is a reason why we would generally like more people to take it up.
    It's annoying listening to people like you dangerising a perfectly, pleasant, useful activity just cos people 'need to be educated' as you have condescended already. You're putting people off cycling and i have a big problem with that.
    You have absolutely no basis to claim that I'm putting people off cycling. That appears to be a flawed perception on your part. As it stands at the moment, I've personally gotten between more than ten people cycling through my own efforts that were not cyclists previously. I can PM you how I did it, but I really don't think that you'd be able to emulate my success. They are all perfectly happy with the concept of helmet wearing as it does makes sense, and their enjoyment of the sport was in now way diminished by the thought of having to wear one. Your argument is a bit thin and trying to be a little insulting as well...

Actually regarding your misunderstanding (and misquoting) of my post above, did you not see that in order to make a choice well, I am saying that the chooser should be informed and educated before making that choice, instead of blindly making a choice on poor perceptions and bad information? Do you disagree with that necessity of having an informed choice?

As for you feeling annoyed - well that's neither my fault nor my problem. If you were to direct those feelings of being annoyed at wasting your own time trying to be negative and getting in the way of risk reduction in the sport, to doing something useful like pushing a more productive agenda to people that can do more useful things (such as talking with engineers and councillors about sane cycle infrastructure implementation), you may end up feeling better at being more useful to the cycling community, and the rest of us will benefit more from that too. I'd say that better infrastructure would mean that more people would take up cycling, by lessening a much greater perceived cause of danger in the sport (poor interactions with traffic). This would far override the tiny amount of people that would not cycle because they don't want to wear a helmet or that feel that having to wear a helmet shows it's too risky for them. Would you disagree with that statement?

Which do you think suggests that there are risks to cycling? a) Seeing reports of cycling deaths and injuries from being hit by cars, or b) seeing people wear helmets while cycling?
    Which of those two should have more resources and effort pushed towards?
    Then you go on about mandating helmets, cos our roads are so, so dangerous don't you know, to make them "perfectly safe". So helmets will all of a sudden make the roads safe for cyclists?
    I think you misread my posts - please go back and re-read. Please let me explain to you again. "In a perfect world, our roads would be perfectly safe. However, as this is reality and not fantasyland, the roads are not perfectly safe. They are not bad, but there are still risks there, that are real and realistic." It's a complex situation and not easy to simplify. There are many risks, some of which are not that big, and there are others that are big. The risk of injury when hitting into e.g. vehicle, pedestrian, tree is higher for a cyclist than a jogger. Why do you not consider that it is reasonable to reduce these risks? Are you against risk reduction? What's your view on e.g. car seatbelts? Steel-toes shoes near forklifts?
    Risk reduction is a good thing when it's not expensive, not difficult to implement, and is generally accepted by the majority of the population (correctly) as a good thing overall. Helmet wearing is a good risk reducer. I haven't said it's a risk eliminator.
    And one more thing, I think if you wanna wear a helmet more power to you. That's grand and I'll never discourage you but stop saying that people are telling others not to wear helmets. You're incorrect. We are simply pro-choice (unfortunate term i know) and by extension anti compulsion for reasons which should by now be obvious.
    It's all well and good to be pro-choice, but for choices to be made well, those choices have to be informed choices. In the absence of the ability to form an informed choice, then it's a good idea to legislate for that. Take for example the issue of seatbelts in cars. Not everyone is an engineer that can understand the effects of deceleration on the body in a crash situation. Not everyone can understand why the positive effects of controllable deceleration when wearing a belt is better than not wearing a belt in an accident. As not everyone can understand why, it was made law that people should wear belts, and everyone was better off. There were those that cried out about being trapped in the car and such other nonsense, but over time people accepted that it was a good thing while the engineers continued to improve things and reduced the risks inherent in car use.

Maybe my idea of a license to not wear a helmet while mandating helmets overall for road cyclists isn't such a joking matter after all. It satisfies the pro-choice elements of the debate while protecting those that do not have the information to hand (or ability) to make an informed and educated choice. It would have an unfortunate effect that those that want to not wear a helmet have to go through a little bit of effort, but that's about the same as someone going to a bike shop and picking up a helmet, so it'd be fair in that respect.

@popoutman. More pedestrians die on the roads each year than cyclists. Maybe jogging is more dangerous than cycling. Perhaps pedestrians should wear helmets?

EDIT: in answer to the point about seatbelts, there was/is clear and unequivocal evidence that the use of them saved lifes. There is no such compelling evidence in the argument for mandatory cycling helmets and some even to suggest the potential for an INCREASE in rotational brain damage from using a helmet.

FURTHER EDIT:
    Maybe my idea of a license to not wear a helmet while mandating helmets overall for road cyclists isn't such a joking matter after all. It satisfies the pro-choice elements of the debate while protecting those that do not have the information to hand (or ability) to make an informed and educated choice. It would have an unfortunate effect that those that want to not wear a helmet have to go through a little bit of effort, but that's about the same as someone going to a bike shop and picking up a helmet, so it'd be fair in that respect.

No, just leave it as it is. If you want to wear one you can. You're basing your requirement for mandatory helmets on your opinion that 'helmets are good' but the fact is there's no compelling evidence for either side of the argument.

If I'm going to HAVE to wear a helmet or have to jump through hoops to not wear one I want evidence and studies to clearly show the benefits of wearing one and not just someone saying 'obviously it protects you, it's a helmet for christs sake'.

Sorry if you've all seen this before, but I just thought I'd post it - this is an aggregation of a bunch of different studies from around the world:

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/cycle_helmets.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

And those two other sports enjoying a huge upswing among tweenage girls; txting and facebook. Although some recent research does suggest that food rather than exercise is the primary cause to childhood obesity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

having ploughed my head into a road with and without a helmet, my preference is to do it with a helmet on. (recovery time is generally shorter)

Sorry if you've all seen this before, but I just thought I'd post it - this is an aggregation of a bunch of different studies from around the world:

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/cycle_helmets.pdf

Hmmm
    LAST UPDATED: JUNE 2003

Try again?

Hmmm

Try again?

Cyclists' heads have changed since 2003? That's good news.

@ Monument 

As you likely have read at this stage before, some studies have shown that motorists drive closer to cyclists who have helmets on. That likely does increases the chances of getting sideswiped. 

The "accidents can happen" idea allows, for example, prescription of a full facial mask or at least a chin guard "just in case". Should people commuting or popping down to the shops wear these things just in case? 

What about people walking to the shop/work, should they wear a helmet just in case? 

Joking aside, I do think that there are categories of cycling types that should always have a helmet, and there are other types that may not need a helmet. The trouble is it's hard to be able to write a law that would account cleanly and easily for this. If you can't make a perfect law that covers it then a compromise would be the next best option, and usually the compromise is one that benefits the most people. It's a complex issue the does not have a simple solution that would appease everyone. The two choices that Irish politicians would generally choose is either "everyone wears one on the road" or no law required. The trouble is, is that sometimes people are not educated enough to be able to make an informed like this and this is why legislation to force people to wear a helmet would be useful.

Your position that a law would be useful is opposed by the majority of the community here. Use the search function of you want to understand why.
    But you are a strong advocate of not wearing a helmet, are you not? It's a little hypocritical to criticise one poster for advocating wearing a helmet when you appear to be one that strongly and regularly advocates not wearing a helmet? 
    Or have I misconstrued your postings on this subject?

Yes you have misconstrued my postings.

My point on advocation is that it opens the thread up to debate.
    ... it appears to me that the consensus here appears to be a rather vocal minority that appear to advocate no helmets...,

I made it fairly clear in my previous post that the consensus does not extend to a no helmet position -- as I said it includes no compulsion and an understanding that helmets are not as good as some make then out to be. 

... it appears to me that the consensus here... on the road including oblivious pedestrians. Is it an indication that those that think that helmets should not be worn, that they think they are immune from accidents?

It's an indication that you engage in risky behavior and, it's not fully clear, but you maybe are doing a lot of unjustified transfer of risk to others?

Here's the thing. Any energy that does not go into my skull or soft tissues inside or outside my skull is a benefit to me. .....

It's not that simple.

For example: 

[1] You're going downhill at speed, you hit your head off a rock at a rate which -- including what the helmet absorbed -- exceeds permanent severe brain damage then you still have permanent severe brain damage regardless of what the helmet absorbed.

[2] You're going to the shop or work and you hit your head of the kerb or ground at a rate which -- including what the helmet absorbed -- exceeds the level needed for mild reversible brain damage, then yoy still have mild reversible brain damage regardless of what the helmet absorbed.

Wearing a helmet is much like the "security theater" of airports -- it makes people feel that something is been done but it is really marginal stuff, that makes little diffrence. It could be said helmets are worse as the security theater isn't linked to people acting in a risky way, but the security theater of cycling makes some cyclists feel better about their risky behavior (ie speed for starters).

Generally, no, your guess is incorrect. It's a different risk, as it's a different type of impact....

The type if impact is irelllevent to my question about the level of risk - and you again seem to be trying to transfer the risks of some cycling to all cycling.

I would interpret that report differently, as I would not use the displayed data to base an absolute risk, but it is useful to do a comparison between the differing road users. The issue is not whether cyclists are at less risk of injury than a car occupant (which is what you appear to imply by your statement above basing your view on that report), but whether cyclists would benefit from wearing helmets overall.

And, overall, would people in foot and those in cars not benefit from wearing helmets? 

More so given then other users are at greater risk of major injoury?

But to answer your question, probably as a result if statements like this from the report you mentioned but selectively quoted from:
    I would expect that most educated people reading a report like that with peer-reviewed statements like this would suggest that improving the head protection would lessen the injury rates for cyclists. Would you disagree with this?

The fact that those cyclists with brain injuries are more likely to have isolated injuries than those of other modes, does not mean helmets would "lessen the injury rates for cyclists".

You serm to be using the term peer-reviewed to lend support to you then trying to use an unconnected statement try to support something it does not. 

More to the point, none of this remotely answers my question! :)

Lets get things done right instead of being Irish about it and making a mess of it. Lets try to get society happy with the concept of PPE for appropriate situations, including cycling, instead of handwaving about how dangerous it makes cycling look. When it comes down to it, cycling on our roads is not a safe activity,  

Your assertion about how safe cycling on roads is an activity is not supported by facts. Thus your conclusions about the gear needed is flawed.

Even more so for urban roads in Dublin.

and as a cyclist there is a lot less protection than a car occupant has,

Yet, car occupants suffer more sevare brain injuries and car occupants above all other users could wear a very high standard of crash helmet which would benefit them. 

and can have much higher impact energies than a pedestrian falling over would experience.

As per the report on head injouries, people on foot are often hit by cars and the force is greater than of the force which causes general cyclist brain injouries.

No, thanks. I'll do so here where our risks are different, and my helping others may be more useful overall. Thanks for the suggestion though. Is it possible that you be more comfortable if you moved over to the Netherlands where your no-helmet-wearing thoughts may meet with more like-minded people? And by the way, this isn't a religious discussion, though people seem to react as though it is :(

I'll move to the Netherlands if you move down under where your helmet compulsion thoughts may meet with more like-minded people. And that compulsion is working out so well for them... ;)

Less mixing of cyclists and traffic, a lot of slower bikes in use meaning less energy in impacts. Differing risk profile.

Forget mixing with traffic - bike helmets are not designed for such collisions and have even more limited impact where the speed diffrence is great. 

I have a heavy, upright Dutch cargo bike - it goes rather fast. But I perfer data: The Dutch have comparable advantage commuting speeds.

If helmets were needed for the genral population for cycling to work or to the shops due to the risk of falling off a bike, then the Netherlands would show an epidemic level of brain injuries.

Good that you picked a useful strawman there. Building sites have situations that can easily kill, and that is why there is legislation covering the provision of PPE. It's a no-brainer to wear boots, hat and gloves on a building site, as well to use common sense and training when working in those situations with heavy machinery and working at heights.

It's a strawman argument to try to compare building site risk to urban cycling risk.

Back on topic though.. One of the problems with people in general, is that people are very poor at risk recognition and at risk management. We either magnify risk beyond all usefulness (see the US reaction to terrorists and the TSA security theatre) or we ignore the risks that are present (cycling on Irish roads without a helmet). It's a proven fact that our roads are a dangerous place, and I for one would like to see them become perfectly safe. As this is reality, that's not going to happen so I will take what appropriate steps I can to mitigate the risks of injury to myself.

It might be a proven fact that the roads you use are a dangerous place for cycling. I honestly don't know. But it does not apply to all Irish roads -- it farly clearly does not apply to Dublin where there has been a notable decline of deaths and seioures injuries at the same time as a boom in cyclist numbers, and it's hard to apply your assertion of a "proven fact" to a lot of the country when the data is so low. 

Good cycling infrastructure reduces the risk of car/cyclist collisions. The risk of falling off bikes would certainly be reduced with appropriate infrastructure with less off-camber sharp turns, less poor surfacing, more cycle-friendly kerbing, less mixing or prams and bikes etc.

Sure but the idea that poor infrastructure is anywhere near fully to blame is not tenable -- a loss of focus for a moment, tiredness etc all apply as risks regardless of infrastructure. Before anybody points out that in winter Dutch and Dainish cycle paths are cleared of ice, sure many are but many people fall their bikes off where and when ice is not cleared from paths. 

The reaction to worst conditions here should not be to engage in security theatre, but to adjust your cycling. For example, if there's shared use which mixes you with prams or if there's poor transfers between a road and a cycle track: pick between dismounting, slowing down or just using the road. 

Bicycle helmets are a prime example of security theatre -- an unproven, ineffective attempt to limit the damage of collisions rather than looking at already proven and tried and tested ways of limiting collisions. 

Hmmm

Try again?

The body of research has.

The body of research has.

If you can find an aggregated collection of peer-reviewed reports that's more up to date, that would be fantastic.

Dorothy Robinson's paper on the Australian helmet laws was published in 2006.
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1171.html

It's more about the impact of mandatory helmet laws than helmets, per se, but it does raise questions of how effective helmets are in real-world scenarios.

If you can find an aggregated collection of peer-reviewed reports that's more up to date, that would be fantastic.
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1157.html

Plenty there for both sides.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    http://www.cyclehelmets.org/1157.html

Plenty there for both sides.

Thanks, that's great. I was avoiding sites with things like 'cycle helmets' in their title, feeling they might not be absolutely unbiased, but perhaps I was wrong.

Thanks, that's great. I was avoiding sites with things like 'cycle helmets' in their title, feeling they might not be absolutely unbiased, but perhaps I was wrong.
    The website is decidedly sceptical, but it does list all the key research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

my head hurts after reading this thread!

3102derek wrote: »
    my head hurts after reading this thread!

Mine does too. I'm wondering would a helmet have helped and is there any research on this topic...

As you likely have read at this stage before, some studies have shown that motorists drive closer to cyclists who have helmets on. That likely does increases the chances of getting sideswiped. 

The "accidents can happen" idea allows, for example, prescription of a full facial mask or at least a chin guard "just in case". Should people commuting or popping down to the shops wear these things just in case? 

What about people walking to the shop/work, should they wear a helmet just in case? 

You didn't answer the last two questions? Just yes or no...

Will the helmet provide protection or would someone be better off without one?

Can i see the study on driver behaviour? We both know about the need to be careful to avoid paraphrasing stuidies and "bad science".

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

I will always suggest to people that I see cycling without a lid that a helmet is a good idea. At a minimum, I try to ask them why they don't.
    Fair enough, it doesn't hurt to give your opinion to people, particularly if you feel you have some expertise in the subject. But can we expect you also to, when you see people driving without a helmet, or walking near a busy road, suggest to them it would be a good idea too? Because it would be and for all the same reasons.

Can i see the study on driver behaviour? We both know about the need to be careful to avoid paraphrasing stuidies and "bad science".
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/archive/overtaking110906.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@Popoutman, You have said variously that those that don't wear a helmet lack "common sense", are "dumb", don't "have a clue", or "are not educated enough to be able to make an informed [choice]". Expressing yourself like that does nothing to further your arguments, on the contrary it paints a picture of someone who has firmly adopted a view/position and rather than be willing to discuss it you simply dismiss out of hand, and belittle, those that have a different view. You have presented nothing of note to support your argument that not wearing a helmet is somehow stupid and you appear unwilling to even consider some of the very good questions and counter arguments already presented.

On the specific point of the safetly provided by a helmet: You describe "pottering into the university for lunch on the commuter bike" as being safe enough not to require a helmet, yet you say it would be "plain dumb" not to wear a helmet when "reaching 30-50kph" on your road bike. Are you aware that the main test of a helmet's ability to withstand an impact involves dropping it on a solid surface from a height? Basically, helmets are primarily tested for their ability to deal with your helmet-encased head falling on a stationary hard surface from a height (as discussed here), as would be most likely to occur when you are stationary or moving very slowly on your bike. Change the circumstances by adding speed, moving objects (cars, etc.), very irregular surfaces (e.g. branches, rocks), etc., and what protection is the helmet likely to offer?

I can't answer that last question, and I imagine you or anybody else here has no greater access to relevant scientific research to be able to answer it either, so the question remains unanswered. As does the question of whether the helmet itself will introduce or increase dangers to the wearer (greater impact area meaning greater likelihood of impact, greater risk of rotational injury, etc.). Unanswered questions like these are why the degree of safety provided by helmets remains a topic of debate and speculation rather than one of certainty. As such, a rigid view such as that which you are presenting that people who don't wear helmets are somehow stupid, is obnoxious and built on ill-considered opinion rather than fact.

You also refer to a preference to use a "quality helmet". What constitutes a "quality helmet" and how do you distinguish a "quality helmet" from a rubbish one, bearing in mind that within the EU helmets can only be sold legally if they claim to meet safety standard EN1078?

Personally I'll reserve my judgement on how good or bad helmets are until further reputable scientific studies have been carried out. In the meantime my own position is that anyone should be free to choose to wear a helmet, or not, when cycling as they see fit, and I'll continue to try to approach research on the topic with an open mind.
    Popoutman wrote:

Do you listen to the answers or do as you have been doing in this thread and simply repeatedly reiterate your own views until the person either walks away or just gets worn down enough that they bend to your will?

And if you are so concerned with the welfare of others do you approach people smoking and ask them why they choose to do so? After all, there is a vast amount of evidence suggesting that you might actually safe a life by convincing a smoker to kick the habit, whereas to my knowledge there is no such body of evidence suggesting that getting someone to wear a helmet will keep them from harm.

• Advertisement

rp wrote: »
    But can we expect you also to, when you see people driving without a helmet, or walking near a busy road, suggest to them it would be a good idea too?

Yeah but...

Possibly worth considering different potential types of accident here, specifically collision with a vehicle, or crashing for some other reason. Pedestrians walking on the pavement are less likely to get hit by a vehicle, as they don't share the same space other than when crossing a road. Pedestrians that trip and fall over will typically be going slower than cyclists, and hence are less prone to severe injury. While there may be more pedestrians involved in road traffic accidents than cyclists, there are probably also a helluva lot more pedestrians than cyclists. You'd need to normalise* these quantities to figure out which activity is more prone to this type of incident.

People in cars are supposed to wear seat belts, such that their heads don't bang off the windscreen in the event of a collision.

*Divide the total number of accidents for any given activity by the total number of hours spent by the population doing that activity. For transport, as opposed to sport, you could normalise based on distance covered and/or number of journeys. Put another way, saying that cycling is safer than walking or driving as a means of transport, based on the number of fatal accidents, makes no sense without comparing the number of journeys made. You might as well say that commuting by helicopter is a safe form of transport as there have been no recent fatal helicopter accidents.

Not saying that cycling isn't a safe activity, just saying you have to be careful how you look at the figures.

smacl wrote: »
    You'd need to normalise* these quantities to figure out which activity is more prone to this type of incident.
    It was a normalized study that suggests wearing of helmets delivers the approximately the same benefits for cyclists, drivers and pedestrians, I don't have a link to hand, but its been quoted on this forum over the years we've been debating this subject...
    People in cars are supposed to wear seat belts, such that their heads don't bang off the windscreen in the event of a collision.
    So it would be rare for a motorist to suffer head injuries in a collision, what with the seatbelts and airbags etc.? I think that poor woman in Mullingar on Sat dies of head injuries, according to the first reports. Maybe a helmet would have saved her.

Yeah but...

Possibly worth considering different potential types of accident here, specifically collision with a vehicle, or crashing for some other reason. Pedestrians walking on the pavement are less likely to get hit by a vehicle, as they don't share the same space other than when crossing a road. Pedestrians that trip and fall over will typically be going slower than cyclists, and hence are less prone to severe injury. While there may be more pedestrians involved in road traffic accidents than cyclists, there are probably also a helluva lot more pedestrians than cyclists. You'd need to normalise* these quantities to figure out which activity is more prone to this type of incident.

Already done and published in Traffic Engineering and Control see here:

Assessing the actual risks faced by cyclists by Malcolm Wardlaw
    http://cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2014.pdf

Already done and published in Traffic Engineering and Control see here:

Assessing the actual risks faced by cyclists by Malcolm Wardlaw
    http://cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2014.pdf

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a proper read this evening, looks like a good one! Interesting it shows cycling in the UK as highest risk per hour for modes of transport, with walking as the highest risk per kilometre. Like most statistical studies, all too easy to select one set of figures over another to support any given standpoint. I wonder how the UK compares to Ireland, given the much higher population density over there?

You didn't answer the last two questions? Just yes or no...

Will the helmet provide protection or would someone be better off without one?

You want me to answer a yes or no to a question about a complex issue which a ton of researchers can't agree on? Fine, so overall my answer is:

No.

People commuting or going down to the shops would be, on balance, better off without helmets. I'll sum up what I have said already:

Even if helmets were proven to have some significance benefit (which there's no proof of), the risk of hitting ones head while cycling generally is so low that helmets have little practical everyday use unless you're very unstable, accident prone, or are engaging in risky behaviour. If we take the "just in case" view, where does it stop? Face protection? Pollution masks? Knee pads? All year around gloves designed to protect your hands from falls? Body armour?... Why stop at helmets when helmets have little to no backing?

Yes, a helmet may offer some protection, but that protection maybe so limited it will not be significance in reducing brain injury, a helmet may also cause more risk by motorists driving closer to cyclists, may contribute to cyclists engaging in risky behaviour and may make things worse with some types of crashes. Helmets may also have an off putting effect which reduces the health benefits of cycling at a population level.

Yeah but...

This is debunked so many times, but yet it still comes up again and again: Pedestrians tend to get hit by motorists travelling at speed. The all important mass and speed difference is higher than than for cyclists. Motorists also can mount kerbs quite easily.

As per the Philips Report: "Pedestrians are vulnerable; they are often hit at speed without any protective equipment."

The level of "Severe" brain injury is higher among pedestrians 35 (42%) compared to cyclists at 9 (13%). The irreversible injury rate for cyclist at 8 (16%) is much lower than pedestrians at 8 (16%).

My own view is we need to fix this now and bring in mandatory helmets for pedestrians.

In 2008 according to the Philips Report it still leaves 76 (29%) who suffered brain injuries with helmets on (Another 131 or 49% without and 58 or 22% unknown).... The irreversible injury and mortality rates at 11 or 7% and 11 or 11% are also higher than cyclists.

Why are we not protecting these people with helmets?

We take the "just in case" view with cyclists, but not for people in cars or those on foot?
    For transport, as opposed to sport, you could normalise based on distance covered and/or number of journeys.

When sports / exercise is excluded, straight away have a lower rate of injuries and deaths for cyclist. But there is very little exact data on the difference because all are counted as cyclists.

Put another way, saying that cycling is safer than walking or driving as a means of transport, based on the number of fatal accidents, makes no sense without comparing the number of journeys made. You might as well say that commuting by helicopter is a safe form of transport as there have been no recent fatal helicopter accidents.

The number in Dublin City are so small that the figures are likely “statistical significance” (a sad term when talking about people's life, I know) and the actual number of deaths has declined as the numbers of cyclists have risen which seems to mean that there's statistically a lower chance of death.

Dublin-City-cyclist-traffic-counts-vs-deaths.jpg

Source / discussion -- yes, I'm self referencing, and sadly nobody more qualified than myself has publicly looked at the numbers.

All of that is before you look at the risk–benefit analysis of cycling which has shown that -- on roads far more dangerous than Irish roads in 2012 -- health benefits of cycling outweigh the risks.

Not saying that cycling isn't a safe activity, just saying you have to be careful how you look at the figures.

Indeed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement