Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made huge mistake moving house ...

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

My family & I moved to a rented house in a new area but will need to move back to our old area for my son to attend school mainly & because current area just isn't for us. There are issues with the house re dampness & woodlouse, slugs etc. We signed a 12 month contract however the landlord has not provided a BER cert. We are also receiving rent allowance but the rent is 135 euro higher than our limit & we can't afford to cover the excess ( we were suppose to top it up ourselves). Basically we need to tell LL we have to move to a house in our rent allowance limits but we can't lose our deposit. Where do we stand seeing as the LL has given no ber & is lying on forms for rent allowance saying we pay 135 less than we do. Any thoughts please?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I am not sure I understood alot of your post ie ds, dh, fat pigs etc.
    However I know that any contract that exists to defraud revenue is null and void which could apply in your case if the Landlord is only declaring the social welfare income (another government dept you are both defrauding) to revenue.
    There are plenty of properties available below the SW limits so not sure why you choose the illegal route. My advice is move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭gemini_girl

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I am not sure I understood alot of your post ie ds, dh, fat pigs etc.
    However I know that any contract that exists to defraud revenue is null and void which could apply in your case if the Landlord is only declaring the social welfare income (another government dept you are both defrauding) to revenue.
    There are plenty of properties available below the SW limits so not sure why you choose the illegal route. My advice is move on.

Sorry I see what you mean wood louse bugs (fat pigs) husband & sons. I guess my post was just venting. We'll lose 850 euro deposit if we leave. With my husband out of work we just can't do that (hence the frazzled post)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Sorry I see what you mean wood louse bugs (fat pigs) husband & sons. I guess my post was just venting. We'll lose 850 euro deposit if we leave. With my husband out of work we just can't do that (hence the frazzled post)

If you do not pay rent for a month you can use up your deposit that way. It is completely illegal and unethical to do so but I would doubt your landlord could enforce a contract in your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

agree with above

your family come first not the needs of the LL

we had to move very quickly a while ago, I lost my job and fell pregnant, OH couldnt cover all the rent he was on reduced hours and LL would not take rent allowance so we move quickly to a house that was just a shambles

It was a night time viewing think agent waited until it was dark outside, lots of lightbulbs missing also so not the best thing

anyway it was in the right area and although it wasnt the cleanest we took it...big mistake, the LL was a bully who would come over shouting at me because the heating broke and I told him I wanted it fixed, contract said rent was monthly he tried to get it weekly after a few months of us being there

floors on stairs so dirty that you actually stuck to the carpets, and the smell of mould in the hot press was vomit worthy, the boiler was leaking, their was no latches on the windows..well there where but they didnt work and windows just never locked...very safe to being a child into, and the drafts all round the house where as if you where sat outside all the time, all the vents and the fire where blocked with newspaper and when the winter months came so did the mice they needed somewhere warm and although our place was an ice box due to no heating over the three winter months in the winter of 2010 with the snow...i know lovely

So OP in the end after crying every night putting my baby to bed in three layers of clothes and doubling up on duvets while wearing hats and gloves, I had had enough..I didnt pay the rent for two months so had my rent up front and a months deposit and we moved out, we ended up having to move way out of the city to find decent accommodation that was rent allowance acceptable and in a nice enough area, but it was worth it.

Dont get the landlord to fill in the forms, dont pay the rent and get out of there, so what if you have to move to another area, your kids and their safety come first, and just because your not in that area doesnt mean the kids cant be registered for school there, you just have to travel a bit, until something comes up in that area that you can all move to

As for the crawly pigs - thats what we call them hehehe boil a kettle and pour it over them and do it daily after a week or so they will be gone, disgusting little pigs hate them

And op dont feel bad about moving the kids again make it out like its an adventure they are very resilient as you well know

peace and love OP and sending you big hugs xxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

WhiteTiger wrote: »
    Sorry I see what you mean wood louse bugs (fat pigs)

In my house we call these marmadillos as in mini armadillos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The wood louse and slugs can be killed. Just stick out a saucer of beer every night for a few weeks for the slugs, and pour boiling water on the louse. These things are very easily remedied.

For the rest, is the landlord refusing to fix things, or have you not approached them for some reason? Draughts are fixable with sealant, as is dampness. Phone them every day until it is sorted.

Advertisement