Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

letting a house out but first time buyer mortgage

Options
  • 29-06-2012 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

my neighbour was just boasting to me that he is renting out a house he has a mortgage on but said he doesnt have a buy to let mortgage, he asked me to keep it on the low down as he could lose his deal with the bank.

is he really saving much money by doing this, and why is he keeping it quiet i can hardly walk into his bank and tell them it could be any bank.

good luck to him but is it worth the hassle or saving

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

buy to let rate is higher than standard rate.

Maybe he wants you to keep quiet as he may not be declaring to the the tax man income he is getting from the house also if it's a rented house he is liable to the €200 annual charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Rebel1977 wrote: »
    buy to let rate is higher than standard rate.

Maybe he wants you to keep quiet as he may not be declaring to the the tax man income he is getting from the house also if it's a rented house he is liable to the €200 annual charge.

Plus the PRTB fee (90Euro?) plus the Household Charge (100Euro):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,589 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say many people don't pay tax on their rental income.

When I was about to become a LL I was chatting to a few people I know who rented out houses and asked them about how much tax they paid every year.

The responses in cases?

"Uh?".

Advertisement