Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you have anything that you're OCD about?

• 29-06-2012 11:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭

I was just thinking, anytime I see a cup or plate or anything like that with a bit of it leaning off the edge of a counter, I have a need to push it so none of it is off the counter.

Am I the only one like this?

Are you OCD about anything? 73 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    89% 65 votes
    14 or 17 buttons are on the Jaguar at all times
    10% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I feel the need to correct anyone claiming their foibles are a serious disorder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no a lot of people have something their ocd about,im ocd about my make up particulary eyeliners and mascaras

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭RB94

The volume must be on an even number. (Or else an increment of 5.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

when i fold paper the corners MUST match

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I have to have the volume of the telly or the radio at an even number. If I have it on an uneven number then bad things will happen.

Also when I'm stressed really badly I count 1234567 in my head really fast over & over again.

Yes, I'm a freak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

I dunno I got this funny quirk where I need to shower a couple of times a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Fentdog84 wrote: »
    I dunno I got this funny quirk where I need to shower a couple of times a week

Not to worry, most of us shower daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

no a lot of people have something their ocd about,im ocd about my make up particulary eyeliners and mascaras

i also have an ocd about avoiding women that wear excessive make up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Yes, hygiene -public toilets are my ultimate nemesis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

gara wrote: »
    Yes, hygiene -public toilets are my ultimate nemesis

Now that's different from what's been posted.
    So do you just not go to them? If you don't, is it all public toilets (like in pubs or Mcdonalds or something) or just the "public" ones like in say the Ilac or something?

• Advertisement

When I'm handing change over to someone in a shop or wherever, the coins with the largest value are at the bottom and the smallest value ones are at the top.

The fact that the coins don't then match up in sizes largest to smallest annoys the hell out of me though.

So yes OP, many many things...

Dónal wrote: »
    When I'm handing change over to someone in a shop or wherever, the coins with the largest value are at the bottom and the smallest value ones are at the top.

The fact that the coins don't then match up in sizes largest to smallest annoys the hell out of me though.

So yes OP, many many things...

I'm a bit like that. I usually stack the €1/€2 seperate from the rest. Or do you throw everything together?

I'm a bit like that. I usually stack the €1/€2 seperate from the rest. Or do you throw everything together?

Everything together, stacked neatly, with the 'heads' of each of the coins facing up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Yes, I'm OCD about misusing the names of diagnosed mental illnesses to describe little habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Clean bowels, have to be emptied every day or it's the colon cleanser crack team on duty.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Locking up at night would be my main OCD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭scully74

Definitely ...but my wife is so opposite it keeps me grounded, but I do get moody over it at times:(

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

I am a bit OCD about my Obsessive compulsive disorder hobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Yeah I'm obsessive compulsive about telling people you can't "be OCD" about something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

When I place items on a table or desk or whatever everything has to be squared up perfectly or it bugs me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

There's OCD, and then there is just little habbits and preferences everybody has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Show Time wrote: »
    Locking up at night would be my main OCD.

You sound a bit like Josef Fritzl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nope. i do everything completely differently every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I was just thinking, anytime I see a cup or plate or anything like that with a bit of it leaning off the edge of a counter, I have a need to push it so none of it is off the counter.

Am I the only one like this?

That's not OCD. That's just being safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

nope. i do everything completely differently every time

that's weird I do something similar, if I see a plate on the edge of the counter I have the uncontrollable urge to smash it. Your situation sounds worse though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Loads of things. I like the volume of the tv to be on an even number, unless it's five 'cause that's okay.

I arrange the money in my purse. As in, I couldn't have a five euro note, followed by a ten. The note of higher monetary value must be first.

Underwear on before bra. Always. It is wrong to be naked on the bottom but not on top!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Now that's different from what's been posted.
    So do you just not go to them? If you don't, is it all public toilets (like in pubs or Mcdonalds or something) or just the "public" ones like in say the Ilac or something?

Ilac centre? :eek: I would never even enter that hellhole to shop, never mind use the bathroom! Basically, public toilets are places I try to avoid at all costs and would rather wait for however long it takes to get home if possible, in order to avoid using them.

In the circumstances where I can't, I will not touch any surface without a tissue barrier between my hand and it -this includes sink, dryer, doorhandle etc. -all of which are known germ havens and completely justify my vigilance in avoiding touching them!

EDIT: Hotels are the one exception for this, basically because I have increased faith for the staff there to maintain suitably hygienic standards that would match my own at home

gara wrote: »
    Ilac centre? :eek:
    Well I meant in general. Are you opposed to all public toilets? (as in, go to cinema/mcdolands/etc and do your business or pay 10 cent, go do you business) like the port-a-orties?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

OCD about absolutely nothing,

Theres enough real stuff to be worried about without worrying about what number the F*cking volume on the telly is on (etc) I reckon.

But, each to their own I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

This is the weird habits thread all over again.

I always fall asleep at night. I can't help it, I'm just like so ocd like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Every time I see a Bush, I have to Piss on it

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I had my OCD diagnosed years ago. I improved a lot when I got treatment. These days I still have to keep everything in even numbers but its nowhere near as bad as it once was. When I was at my worst I used to to have to kiss the toilet seat to ensure my patents didn't die that night. Crazy stuff I know but this condition is very real and very hard to comprehend unless you've experienced it.

I had my OCD diagnosed years ago. I improved a lot when I got treatment. These days I still have to keep everything in even numbers but its nowhere near as bad as it once was. When I was at my worst I used to to have to kiss the toilet seat to ensure my patents didn't die that night. Crazy stuff I know but this condition is very real and very hard to comprehend unless you've experienced it.

Now, I'm not (intentionally) being a dick, and Im not picking on you, just using your example as an example, but,

HOW would kissing the toilet seat ensure that a patient would not die?

I really cannot understand this 'condition', I think stuff like this trivialises real mental conditions like depression or other genuine mentally or physically dehabilitating deseases.

I may be just ignorant of the issue, but noone has ever explained it to me beyond "oh it just has to be or else bad things will happen"

please enlighten me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Probably best explained as being similar to the mental illness of people who say "prayers" at night before bedtime, or something bad will happen if they don't, baby Jesus will cry etc.,
    Just saying is all, it's the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Now, I'm not (intentionally) being a dick, and Im not picking on you, just using your example as an example, but,

I really cannot understand this 'condition', I think stuff like this trivialises real mental conditions like depression or other genuine mentally or physically dehabilitating deseases.

I may be just ignorant of the issue, but noone has ever explained it to me beyond "oh it just has to be or else bad things will happen"

please enlighten me..

The whole concept of the condition is irrational. I myself know what I'm doing is foolish but I'm still compelled to do it. I have and still do suffer from depression also so maybe there is a link there somewhere. Like I said before though its impossible for somebody without the condition to understand OCD. It is pure madness when you look at it in the cold hard light of day but not so much if you're a sufferer.

oxo_ wrote: »
    Probably best explained as being similar to the mental illness of people who say "prayers" at night before bedtime, or something bad will happen if they don't, baby Jesus will cry etc.,
    Just saying is all, it's the same thing.

I kinda see your point, albeit I wouldnt necessarily claim that someone who is religious is mentally ill but I see your angle nonetheless.

Thanks.

The whole concept of the condition is irrational. I myself know what I'm doing is foolish but I'm still compelled to do it. I have and still do suffer from depression also so maybe there is a link there somewhere. Like I said before though its impossible for somebody without the condition to understand OCD. It is pure madness when you look at it in the cold hard light of day but not so much if you're a sufferer.

I see,

Like you say, very difficult to truly comprehend, but not so difficult to sympathise I guess.

I wouldnt call it madness myself (very harsh description - I have good friends with OCD, very normal people but with strange compulsions that I could never understand but I would never think less of them either way),

I suppose, like any mental illness it is difficult to quantify in words, perhaps Ill never understand it, but I will endeavour not to judge,

I nver went to a doctor. I have on idea if I suffer from OCD. But there have been times when I went to meet the GF's parents and something was slightly off balance and I'd put it straight.

I dont think I'm OCD at all. But that;s just some things I do. I've been in siutations that most people would think were going to interrupt into a fight and I notice a cup off the edge so I yell to stop a fight starting and just fix it.

I know it's not proper OCD but it's just how some people are

But yeah, as your last edit made it clear: You won't understand it. Just like I won't understand "actual" OCD. I can withstand a meeting or something with things hanging off the table just for the sake of non-arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

please enlighten me..

It's called a compulsion and something as non-sensical as a compulsion to kiss a toilet seat to ensure something occurs (if Deft wasn't taking the piddle) would surely be fairly debilitating and hazardous, no? People like Howard Hughes are at the far end of the scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

uch wrote: »
    Every time I see a Bush, I have to Piss on it

Doggin'.
    Is that what it's called?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have some OCD'isms if you'd call it that, I always arrange the money in my wallet so that the larger notes are at the back with the less value notes infront accordingly. I always rearrange the notes so they are all facing up and the front of the note outwards! I much prefer having €20 & €10 notes as having more paper in my wallet makes me feel richer than I am!

I also have this weird thing with a lightswitch in my house in that it controls the bathroom and the hall light but the hall light has a second switch, I will often walk down the corridor without turning off the hall light so I can switch it off the 2nd switch down the corridor and have the bathroom and hall light aligned in the off position. Weird huh!

I "park" my glasses and car keys in the exact same spot each night also with the car keys in the dresser and glasses next to the tv, I have developed this habit as routine to stop me loosing the damned things.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 MrShine

I feel uncomfortable in rooms with open doors. Open doors in public places or my workplace don't bother me, but they do in houses. I absolutely can't sleep in a room with an open door, and if my gf ever accidentally leaves it open at night after a bathroom trip or something, I feel really freaked out in the morning knowing I was asleep near an open door.

If I lick one finger, say after eating crisps, I have to lick all my fingers on that hand. Similarly, if I check a tooth with my tongue, I have to check the same tooth on the other side. As in the third tooth from the back on the top left, and the third tooth from the back on the top right.

If there's on uneven pattern, say in wallpaper or even light placement on a ceiling, I can't help looking at it. Like in Daragh O Briain Live at the Apollo, one of the lights in the O in Apollo isn't working, and his bottom button isn't done up, and I can't enjoy the video properly because of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

after a meal my knife and fork need to be set up an equal distance apart on the center of the plate and perfectly straight. Ok it's not as extreme as some on here put this needs to happen and I spend a few minutes each time fiddling with them making sure they're perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭jos28

Like other posters, the notes in my wallet have to be facing frontwards and in order with the the lowest denomination at the front.
    Mugs in the kitchen press have to be stacked in matching sets- NO mixing the mugs ! If someone empties the dishwasher and puts the mugs back randomly, I will take them all out and put them in properly. Sames with glasses, they have to be placed back in the press upside down and lined up in order of size starting with pint glasses at the left.
    Nothing strange about me, everyone else is just wrong :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

RB94 wrote: »
    The volume must be on an even number. (Or else an increment of 5.)

you too eh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

If I see a single magpie I have to salute it and then bless myself.
    One time I saw 27 separately.
    That was a fun journey.

There's a point in the footpath on the way to the house that I always cross the road at. I can't cross at any other point except that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I check that my fly is closed at least 50 times a day - most of the time I don't even notice I'm doing it......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭fran17

when im going up or down a stairs i have to count every step everytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

All my mug handles must point out and turned to the right in the press... i have taken them out and re-arranged them numerous times when my kids emptied the dishwasher..
    Pictures have to be straight..

• Advertisement
Advertisement